How much milk and what milk is the best?

Options
One Cup of 2 % Great Value Milk

Calories 120 Sodium 120 mg
Total Fat 5 g Potassium 350 mg
Saturated 4 g Total Carbs 11 g
Polyunsaturated 0 g Dietary Fiber 0 g
Monounsaturated 2 g Sugars 11 g
Trans 0 g Protein 8 g
Cholesterol 25 mg

I just went to the VA yesterday and the dietitian asked me if I was drinking milk everyday and I told her no. I figure that I should start drinking milk because it has good protein and the calcium.

My question is how much milk should I drink. 1, 2, 3 cups a day?

I am 5'9" 265lbs Big Bone Structure.

I am also thinking about moving my milk down to skim milk no fat...

Replies

• cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,121 Member
    Options
    Whatever it takes to keep your macros in line for the day.

I drink two cups a day. I need the calcium (I'm older than you, and a woman, on 1500 calories a day, maintenance.)
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options
    Cambodian Breast Milk.

But seriously, I'd agree with cmriverside on this. Track your end of day intake for kcals, protein/carbs/fats and use milk to help you get there. If you enjoy drinking it, knock yourself out.
  • rrsuthy
    rrsuthy Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    It depends on what you want it for. Unsweetened Almond Milk has a lot more calcium and protein than animal milk. I like almond milk in cereal, but I don't love it for just drinking it plain.
  • merlyn311
    merlyn311 Posts: 11
    Options
    I was raised on whole milk so it took me some time to get used to 2% but from there it was easy to move down to 1%. We, as humans, really shouldn't be drinking milk. No other mammal in nature drinks another mammal's milk, nor do they do it past toddler-ville. I started drinking soy milk when I learned that. I like it but it's not milk.... sorry. don't really think I have every talked this much about milk before... lmao
  • Lesa_Sass
    Lesa_Sass Posts: 2,213 Member
    Options
    Cows milk? Personally not a fan. Almond milk is best IMO. Not going to get into the politics of it but almond milk is way better for you.
  • aotto87
    aotto87 Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Cambodian Breast Milk.

But seriously, I'd agree with cmriverside on this. Track your end of day intake for kcals, protein/carbs/fats and use milk to help you get there. If you enjoy drinking it, knock yourself out.

The finest. :) love this.
  • acuratlsd
    acuratlsd Posts: 228
    Options
    cmriverside: Hey now... Just because I am 27 doesn't mean I am not broke. I thank the military for that and 15 months of carrying around 90lbs on my back LOL

The dietrican ordered calcium pills for me so I think I should try just for 1 to 1.5 cups and then take the supplement.

Sidesteal: I will mix milk with my eggs and I might try mixing it with my protein shake... Adding water only is getting to me. Its just the way it comes down. Not very ummm tasty.

I guess watered down chocolate is an acquired taste
  • myak623
    myak623 Posts: 616 Member
    Options
    I, personally, like 2%. I usually drink 1-2 glasses a day.
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options

Sidesteal: I will mix milk with my eggs and I might try mixing it with my protein shake... Adding water only is getting to me. Its just the way it comes down. Not very ummm tasty.

I guess watered down chocolate is an acquired taste

That's a great plan. Protein shakes taste way better with milk in my opinion. I just don't add milk to mine because I like to eat my calories and too much milk makes me unpleasant to be around. As long as you're tracking your consumption and counting the calories, I think you can't really go wrong.
  • acuratlsd
    acuratlsd Posts: 228
    Options
    I was raised on whole milk so it took me some time to get used to 2% but from there it was easy to move down to 1%. We, as humans, really shouldn't be drinking milk. No other mammal in nature drinks another mammal's milk, nor do they do it past toddler-ville. I started drinking soy milk when I learned that. I like it but it's not milk.... sorry. don't really think I have every talked this much about milk before... lmao

Nothing wrong with expressing your opinions. I really appreciated it.
    This just gives me an idea on the different types of milk.
    My sister tried to drink the soy and till this day, I haven't seen her drink it again.