Binge / Getting Back on Track

Options
I've done well since trying to lose weight the past month. But, today was the day from HELL. I was so grouchy and irritable. Hungry! 1200 calories a day is so hard for me. And I haven't gotten enough exercise this week. Anyway, I was so hungry and ate two bagels with cream cheese and some cashews this evening which, of course put me way over 1200 for the day.

Afraid to weigh myself in the morning and afraid I will be discouraged. How do you get over when you binge and keep moving forward? I feel mad and depressed about doing it now.:grumble:

Replies

• staceyseeger
    staceyseeger Posts: 783 Member
    Options
    I go to bed & start the next day fresh...I have several days a week that I truly EAT...no big deal! you'll be fine!
  • MegMalin
    MegMalin Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Thanks, Stacey! I will stick to my guns and not let it bother me!
  • rookmb
    rookmb Posts: 84
    Options
    First of all, don't weigh yourself in the morning.

Second, what you did today is simply a slip. You're not going to do the same thing tomorrow and you may slip again in a few weeks, who knows? The important thing is that you're trying.

1200 calories isn't a lot, but you have to be creative. Sure a bagel with cream cheese is delicious, but why waste so many calories on such a small amount of food? Try to plan your meals. If you do that ahead of time it will be easier to stay focused.

There are so many lower calorie options out there. Don't beat yourself up. Just wake up tomorrow and know that you have another chance to make the right choices. Good Luck!!!!
  • EbbySoo
    EbbySoo Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    If eating 1200 is too hard, why not allow yourself 1400 and have an extra snack that makes you feel satisfied rather than deprived everyday and avoid the binges altogether. Low calorie diets suck and aren't sustainable...
  • mpf1
    mpf1 Posts: 1,437 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you might need to bump up your cals in general. Be nice to yourself, don't weigh in- it will be mostly water and transient. Hang in there!
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    What to do after messing up? Acknowledge it and move on and get back on track as soon as you put the fork down.

You're may be under eating long term so of course you're hungry. Re-evaluate your calorie deficit and goals. You don't want to turn into one of these starve-starve-binge starve-starve-binge cycle people. It's ugly.
  • strawberrie_milk
    strawberrie_milk Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    If it makes you feel any better, I just had a 4000 calorie binge. Yours wasn't even that bad, so don't feel so down. Just eat like normal tomorrow, perhaps try increasing your calories as well.
  • lilojoke
    lilojoke Posts: 427 Member
    Options
    I've done well since trying to lose weight the past month. But, today was the day from HELL. I was so grouchy and irritable. Hungry! 1200 calories a day is so hard for me. And I haven't gotten enough exercise this week. Anyway, I was so hungry and ate two bagels with cream cheese and some cashews this evening which, of course put me way over 1200 for the day.

Afraid to weigh myself in the morning and afraid I will be discouraged. How do you get over when you binge and keep moving forward? I feel mad and depressed about doing it now.:grumble:

I just erase that moment and move on. But I have learned to see food as just food be it twinkles vs broccoli I just aim to eat my broccoli more but a diet that is strict with food choices and on top is low calorie will only make you binge consistantly.

I like cliff bars and protein bars in general it makes me feel as though I having a treat. Lighten up a bit and your progress will be a bit faster.
  • MegMalin
    Options
    Thank you all.. wonderful thoughts, ideas and support!!!
  • nancyaz22
    Options
    I try to remember how awful I feel with myself after binging and asking myself if it was really worth it. Sometimes it does the trick. If it doesn't, I always remember that tomorrow is a new day to start over again and to just take one day at a time.
  • tthayer0
    tthayer0 Posts: 3
    Options
    Today was an Oops...go to bed forget it happened, do not weigh yourself in the am. Clean slate.

Might I ask in your 1200 calories a day, how many grams of fiber are you getting?

I only ask because I have done the 1200 calorie thing before and found I was always and I mean always hungry until I figured it out fully, once I figured the right combination, I found that I was actually looking for stuff to fulfill my 1200 calories. I later got bored with measuring everything out and although I kept the 50 lbs I had lost off for a long while I eventually gained half of it back. I then joined a gym and did great lost 30lbs in 3 months but then ended up ill and hospitalized for a week, and under dr. orders not allowed to workout for at least 3 months. Well I lost my umph...I managed to keep 1/2 of what I lost off but managed to gain the other 1/2 back.

I started my current weight loss and exercise program 6 weeks ago tuesday, and although I know I can do it on my own, as I have before I started seeing a physician (just for my weight loss) my physician knows about it however becuase I know my physician personally I won't go to him for weight loss because I won't be serious with him. So I started seeing this Physician 6 weeks ago, Because I am female I was started out at 1000 calories a day. I was thinking OMG!! I was always hungry on 1200 calories in the beginning. Well I remembered what I had learned the last time, FIBER grams are the biggest thing to help curb your appetite. I have not been hungry 1 day, and I actually find it hard to hit 1000 calories a day.

I know alot of people will say 1000 calories isn't right yadda yadda, save your energy, I am going to a physician and I am monitored very closely every 2 weeks.

Back to the Fiber intake, I take in as close to 35 gm of fiber each day.
  • love4fitnesslove4food_wechange
    Options

well, that wasn't a binge to start. You ate 2 bagels, more than you wanted but hardly a binge. You'll likely repeat the cycle with a target of 1200 calories so I recommend increasing your calories to a more sustainable level so that you're fueling your body properly and the binges stop. I know it's scary but honestly your relationship with food seems a bit unhealthy--you're afraid to weigh yourself. You didn't gain any significant amount of weight from eating a TOTAL of maybe 2000 calories? less perhaps. It's really quite alright. Just move on, change that calorie goal, and take it slow.
  • sc1572
    sc1572 Posts: 2,309 Member
    Options
    We've ALL been there before. Hey, we're all human! I take a few days away from the scale, cause I know I won't be happy. Drink a lot of water, and just treat tomorrow as a new day. Log today, take responsibility, and move on. :D
  • lilojoke
    lilojoke Posts: 427 Member
    Options

well, that wasn't a binge to start. You ate 2 bagels, more than you wanted but hardly a binge. You'll likely repeat the cycle with a target of 1200 calories so I recommend increasing your calories to a more sustainable level so that you're fueling your body properly and the binges stop. I know it's scary but honestly your relationship with food seems a bit unhealthy--you're afraid to weigh yourself. You didn't gain any significant amount of weight from eating a TOTAL of maybe 2000 calories? less perhaps. It's really quite alright. Just move on, change that calorie goal, and take it slow.

AMEN!
  • MegMalin
    Options
    I think my doctor was the one who told me 1200 calories a day was what I need to lose weight, but will look at increasing that or try to vary it each day a bit? Definitely will check my fiber goal - having been tracking that, but good idea. You guys rock! I'm so glad I joined MFP.
  • BrendaLee
    BrendaLee Posts: 4,463 Member
    Options
    It's more common than you might think, and it's going to happen once in a while whether you like it or not. Trust me, you didn't do that much damage with a couple of bagels and a handful of nuts. Consider this your high-calorie day for the week, and have a great day tomorrow.
  • beckythibodaux
    Options
    i kknow how you fe
    el loosing weight becomes an obsession . i weigh myself everyday cause i am so afraid to go backwards . i did not do to good today myself . good luck we can do it i have lost 100lbs so far and want to loose at least 40 more it is so slow coming off
  • Katie3784
    Katie3784 Posts: 543
    Options
    Maybe you should not be on such a low calorie diet. By the way, I would not call two bagels and nuts a horrible binge.
  • MegMalin
    Options
    Exactly. That's why I'm weighing myself everyday. To stay on track and motivated. I gained weight because I was in denial and never weighed myself. So, it is really important to me. Thanks so much!
  • MegMalin
    Options
    i kknow how you fe
    el loosing weight becomes an obsession . i weigh myself everyday cause i am so afraid to go backwards . i did not do to good today myself . good luck we can do it i have lost 100lbs so far and want to loose at least 40 more it is so slow coming off

Exactly. That's why I'm weighing myself everyday. To stay on track and motivated. I gained weight because I was in denial and never weighed myself. So, it is really important to me. Thanks so much!