Detox ideas????

Options
2»

Replies

• lizard053
    lizard053 Posts: 2,344 Member
    Options
    My advice, lots of water. Eat better, drink double the water for a day or two. Your body will do the rest. You may want to add a pinch of a good quality sea salt (I had Celtic Sea Salt recommended to me) to a glass or three to help keep your electrolytes balanced.
  • Meaganandcheese
    Meaganandcheese Posts: 525 Member
    Options
    If you've been eating poorly and feel poorly because of it, the obvious answer is to stop eating the things that make you feel that way. Your body detoxes itself, unless you've never pooed, in which case I don't blame you for feeling backed up.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    The word detox (along with cleanse) drives me insane. They are bandied about by the sellers of 21st century snake oil to a gullible and unsuspecting public. When visiting website extolling the virtues of their proprietary newly discovered miraculous product turn on the critical thinking part of your brain.

Remember your mother telling you that if it sounds to good to be true it is? She was right.

Look for objectivity, credibility and peer reviewed clinical trials before parting with your hard earned cash.
  • thinclo
    thinclo Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    If you have become contaminated with toxins, you should go to the ER.

I never mentioned anything about toxins. I merely stated that my digestive system doesnt feel like its working as efficiently as it could be.
    The word "detox" is short for detoxification, implying that one has toxins that one wishes to get rid of.

Or it could just be me implying that from trusted sources I have been informed that the detoxification process improves digestion, whether I have toxins in my body I wish to be free of, or not. Sometimes, its possible for things to have more than one purpose.
  • 967_1111
    967_1111 Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    Get about 80% of your calories from a good balanced diet. Drink water. Work out if possible.

This. Eat well, stay hydrated, enjoy life. Your body is smart enough to detox itself.
  • KayteeBear
    KayteeBear Posts: 1,040 Member
    Options
    Eat lots of fruits and veg, your body will naturally do it on its own. :)

are there things I should avoid eating for it to work? sorry im clueless on detoxing :blushing:

I hear if you want to do a "detox" that you should avoid caffeine and alcohol mainly.

I'd say just eat lots of whole foods, fruits, veggies, etc and drink lots of water. And if you want to avoid caffeine and alcohol then do so.

If you google natural detox or something then I'm sure you'll find websites that will tell you what should be avoided but overall I would just drink lots of water and eat whole foods.
  • RynoSada15
    RynoSada15 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I have done a detox in the past. I know this seems to be a "hot topic" for some, but I think one that is balanced is not going to harm you. Some of the crazy ones (like drinking water with cayenne pepper and lemon and nothing else for a week to a month is nuts), I wouldn't recommend - that's just anorexia. I do believe that you can do one on your own with fresh fruits and veggies, lean proteins and whole grains and LOTS of water. However, I did go to a local natural health store and bought a detox system there. I picked one of the higher end ones (it was $75 ...this was awhile ago, but I think it was called DeToxitec). It consistes of some multivitamins, and drinking a shake twice a day. This was a seven day detox. It also contained a list of foods that you could and could not eat, and no limitations to how much. The shakes were gross, but when I discovered I could make a fruit smoothie instead of just mixing in water, they weren't so bad, and I can honestly say I was NEVER hungry even once, and I lost 7 pounds (this being the first week on my diet at that point was also an indicator of the higher weight loss, I wouldn't have expected that later in my diet, as you often lose the most the first week or two). I can also honestly say that I felt amazing after. I chose to do a detox because I had horrible eating habits due to stress (I tend to binge eat on chocolate), and just wanted a "fresh start" to making a difference in my lifestyle. After committing to that, I felt I couldn't turn back and I began that journey feeling pretty good.
  • lee754952
    Options
    Return to a healthy diet and drink plenty of fluids. That is all you need to do. If you normally don't have a digestive problem, then things will return to normal shortly. DO NOT DETOX. Do not do some fad detox home remedy like just eating vegetables. Again. Return to your healthy diet and drink fluids. The bloating will go down as your system returns to baseline. This has nothing to do with pH of the system or any other miracle cure. You will be fine soon.

Take Care!
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,639 Member
    Options
    I bought a juicer a couple weeks ago and LOVE it!!! Juice fruits (probably only one fruit juice a day-because of the sugars) and I juice vegetables. Watch "Fat, sick, and nearly dead" It is on netflix. I think Juicing is a very healhy way to detox seeing you are detoxing on all natural plants and vegetables. Just my opinion :)
    Why not just eat the fruit? What advantage does juicing have over eating whole fruit?

A.C.E. Certified Personal Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,639 Member
    Options
    Or it could just be me implying that from trusted sources I have been informed that the detoxification process improves digestion, whether I have toxins in my body I wish to be free of, or not. Sometimes, its possible for things to have more than one purpose.
    Then you need to expand your research on credible sources. Anecdotal evidence isn't evidence and there isn't any peer reviewed clinical studies that show that "detoxing" improves digestion.

A.C.E. Certified Personal Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • lee754952
    Options
    Are you not losing the fiber from the fruit or vegetable by juicing?
  • kleighsamboer
    Options
    Get the book Detox for Women by Natalia Rose. Changed my life!