free weights vs machines?

Options

Replies

• secretlobster
    secretlobster Posts: 3,566 Member
    Options
    Weight machines are fine if you want to have zero functional strength ("I pick things up and put them down!") but you want to increase the size of specific muscles. I have found machines to be worthless compared to free weights if you want to build muscles for anything other than aesthetics :)

I am completely clueless.....How does it make a difference? If you are working the same muscles with the same amount of weight how can you not get strong using the machines? I am soooo confused :(

On a machine, you are working one muscle at a time. With free weights, you have the freedom to involve a variety of motions and essentially teach muscle groups how to work together. In your every day life, how many times have you ever had to do something resembling a bicep curl? I don't recall ever needing to lift a drink to my face that was 20lbs. LOL... Work I do with free weights actually resembles functional activities, e.g. lifting up a box, putting something heavy on a high shelf.
  • jjblogs
    jjblogs Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    I LOVE what the barbell does for my core. My whole body feels so much stronger, and I actually have less aches and pains in my back and knees. It just seems to make all my parts work better together if that makes any sense at all. I use a few of the machines, but mostly bars and dumbells. Just move right over there with the guys...that's where the good stuff its..:))
  • jjblogs
    Options
    Like several people said above...good form is absolutely necessary or you're defeating the purpose. Go to youtube and type in the lift you want to do...there are GREAT explanations of how to perfect them. Be careful though..I've come across some really bad ones too..lol. Watch the comments to see if people give them a hard time for bad form..if so, find another.
  • lunamare
    lunamare Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    I'm going to admit that I only breezed over the rest of the responses, but I'll give my 2cents. If you are new to lifting and have no experience with it and you do not have a personal trainer to work with you then machines are probably a good place to start. They provide a built in spotter and they teach you the mechanics of the lifting motion. Many people who are new to lifting and exercise will start with the "circuits" setup in most gyms to become acquainted with the process. As you build up strength, assurance, adding in free weights can be a good idea. I would strongly recommend asking for assistance when you do this so that you learn the correct movements and what you should/shouldn't be doing. I'm disgusted when I see people throwing their bodies around lifting weights that are far too heavy for them and thinking that they're the be-all end-all best bodybuilder in the gym. Form first, then weight. There are still situation where machines can be safer - especially if you don't have a spotter and you're starting to lift heavier weights. I love the Hammer Strength line that allows you to add plates to the machine but is designed to spot you with various exercises.

Right now I'm in a unique situation where I have severe muscle atrophy in my right arm from an injury. I choose to work out primarily with free weights. Since my right arm is noticeably weaker than my left, if I was to do a bicep curl or a tricep pushdown with a single bar, my left arm would be doing more of the work than my right and although it would still be beneficial, I prefer to use dumbbells and work each arm individually. Same for bench press (this one is REALLY noticeable) It might be dangerous for me to use a barbell since my triceps are that much weaker on the right than on the left.

Good luck with your workouts!! I hope you keep enjoying them!
  • suthernbelle
    suthernbelle Posts: 566 Member
    Options
    bump
  • jjblogs
    Options
    I started with the machine and graduated to free weights. I feel like I get a better workout with the free weights because I engage other muscle groups.

^^Me too....feel a big difference.
  • cyclerjenn
    cyclerjenn Posts: 835 Member
    Options
    Free wieghts are better, but you need to know proper form to protect from injury. If you can not afford a session with the personal trainer at the gym for just a session stick to the machines.
  • beduffbrickie
    beduffbrickie Posts: 642 Member
    Options
    only ever use free weights at the gym, not even a squat rack, I find when you use barbells, you are recruiting many more muscles in your body to proform the exercise than you would using a machine. each to there own though
  • teagin2002
    teagin2002 Posts: 1,901 Member
    Options
    free weights are better because you are using more muscles in the workout. I am currently transitioning from machines to free weights solely and I am finding that some of the workout I am having a difficulty balancing the . I am very happy I have a friend to help with this.
  • jaymek92
    jaymek92 Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    only ever use free weights at the gym, not even a squat rack, I find when you use barbells, you are recruiting many more muscles in your body to proform the exercise than you would using a machine. each to there own though
    your (i'm assuming) clean and jerk/press numbers are as high as your squat numbers? that's quite impressive! i can only clean and jerk 65, but i can squat 95 for reps (lol my numbers are still sad, but they're getting better)...

in response to the op: free weights. definitely. i do nearly everything with free weights except for cable rows (though i just started pendlay rows today), lat pulldowns (though i just started doing military presses today), and hamstring curls (because i have woefully weak hamstrings and i like giving them the little extra attention).
  • jowings
    jowings Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    Like several people said above...good form is absolutely necessary or you're defeating the purpose. Go to youtube and type in the lift you want to do...there are GREAT explanations of how to perfect them. Be careful though..I've come across some really bad ones too..lol. Watch the comments to see if people give them a hard time for bad form..if so, find another.

Great suggestion! Thanks : )
  • Taylerr88
    Taylerr88 Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    machines are ton easier because you don't actually have to stabilize the weight you just straight up push it. where as free weights you actually work your stabilizing muscles.

free weight > machine
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    There are lots of different options for resistance training. You can pick and choose among different exercises depending on your interest, your skill level, your medical background, etc.

And the great thing is that there is no law -- federal, state, or local -- that says that once you choose an exercise, you have to keep doing it forever.

Since developing your ability to lift weights is an ongoing process, you can opt for simpler choices at first when you are just starting out and progress to more complicated exercises as your abilities and interests change over time.

While, in general, exercises that focus on compound and more functional movements, and that require a user-defined path of motion, will provide more benefits than equipment with a machine-defined path of motion, there are a number of situations where machines can be a good choice.

It's not an "either/or" situation in most gyms--they have lots of machines of all kinds. And not only is there no law that says you can't switch from one type of machine/free weight exercise whenever you want, it is also legal to combine different types of exercises in the same workout.

Really. Go figure.

In the beginning, your body will respond to just about anything. If is often faster and more convenient to go through a whole-body circuit of machines. It doesn't really matter that they are isolation exercises--you are just waking your body up and starting to feel where the muscles are.

While you are learning your form, you can also do some "heavy work" using a few machines, and thus not be totally dependent on the learning curve with the free weight exercises.
  • CannibalisticVegetarian
    CannibalisticVegetarian Posts: 1,255 Member
    Options
    See, I've been wondering this myself. I was told by one of my trainers that the machine is best, but then someone randomly stopped me in the gym earlier today and told me to go for the free weights, claiming that they, 'get you to your goal faster'.

I'm not in any rush to the finish line in any case. I just wondered which got you the best results without the injury. I'd started using free weights just the other day and so far I personally prefer it over the machines. Maybe it's all in my head, but I feel like I'm makine more progress this way. Don't get me wrong though. There are some machines that I will definitely continue using (mostly leg ones).
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    See, I've been wondering this myself. I was told by one of my trainers that the machine is best, but then someone randomly stopped me in the gym earlier today and told me to go for the free weights, claiming that they, 'get you to your goal faster'.

I'm not in any rush to the finish line in any case. I just wondered which got you the best results without the injury. I'd started using free weights just the other day and so far I personally prefer it over the machines. Maybe it's all in my head, but I feel like I'm makine more progress this way. Don't get me wrong though. There are some machines that I will definitely continue using (mostly leg ones).

There is no question that when you use free weights you feel more "engaged" in the exercise and usually feel more "carryover" into "real-life" activities. You usually feel a greater overall "effect" from the training because you are activating more muscles.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,704 Member
    Options
    They both have their advantages and disadvantages. It will depend on the person mostly though. While compound lifts with free weights are superior to doing isolated work on machines, there will be some people who can't do compound lifts due to injury, ROM, grip strength (say from a stroke), etc.
    I personally like to train my clients on free weights if they can do them, but in my gym we have a huge number of people on rehab, physical therapy, and many seniors who balancing isn't very sound. I don't see them doing squats or bent over rows, but they could do a leg press and seated row.
    Find out what works for you best. The key to exercise is DOING IT and regardless of how great an exercise may be in opinion, if it ain't getting done, it ain't the best exercise.

A.C.E. Certified Personal Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • irisheyez718
    irisheyez718 Posts: 677 Member
    Options
    I used just the machines for awhile and when I finally did move on to free weights I was sore, in ways I didn't think I would be! That told me that the free weights were definitely isolating muscles that the machines just weren't hitting. I use both now. I love the free weights!
  • fj211
    fj211 Posts: 95
    Options
    All I know is that my husband uses the machines only and he looks fantastic. .
    I started using them now, too.
  • CannibalisticVegetarian
    CannibalisticVegetarian Posts: 1,255 Member
    Options

There is no question that when you use free weights you feel more "engaged" in the exercise and usually feel more "carryover" into "real-life" activities. You usually feel a greater overall "effect" from the training because you are activating more muscles.
    Yeah I'll say! I took the liberty of working biceps with free weights just the other day and my arms still feel like they are gonna break off any minute now (mildly exaggerating of course, lol).. but I never felt this overall pain from the bicep curling machines.. sooo yeah. I think I found my calling. Now I can finally use the phrase, 'Hurts so good!'.
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Elizabeth_C34 Posts: 6,376 Member
    Options
    Free weights (even if you avoid doing the compound lifts) engage more muscle groups than machine weights thereby giving you a better workout. More bang for the buck. Compound lifts (squats, deadlifts, bench press) are even better for engaging more muscle groups.