A compliation on meal frequency

Options

Replies

• lilojoke
    lilojoke Posts: 427 Member
    Options
    thank you for sharing this...now I can finally prove to my husband that only eating 3 meals with a snack or two is OK. he is always telling I would lose weight faster if I ate 6 small meals a day and I find that pretty hard to accomplish!

I ate between 4am and noon and haven't had anything since except water and I feel better with a hollow stomach then a full one! :D
  • billtonkin
    billtonkin Posts: 109
    Options
    BOOM, headshot! Great post, sir.
  • maybethistime70
    Options
    I only eat once a day. I start at 7 am and stop around 10 pm.

(Great post, btw.)

THIS
  • patricia909
    patricia909 Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    bump
  • sandylion
    sandylion Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    Bump!!
    It is so refreshing to see someone using reliable topics, and their brains, when stating "facts" about anything on the internet!
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Elizabeth_C34 Posts: 6,376 Member
    Options
    Thanks! Let's pin this topic.. oh wait :(

You know, I can understand why people might think that eating more freqruently might 'stoke' your metabolism (even if it's false), but what amazes me is people who think you need to eat to START your metabolism, and when you don't eat it just stops!

LOL We would indeed be in deep *kitten* if our metabolism stopped...
  • SavageRabidBeast
    SavageRabidBeast Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the extra info!
  • Laura_Ivy
    Laura_Ivy Posts: 556 Member
    Options
    That was really interesting to read :) Thanks!
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,124 Member
    Options
    Excellent post that is now in my list of bookmarks so I can link to it at the appropriate time. I was going to put something like this together simply because I was getting tired of having to type up new responses every time. Thanks.
  • evonday
    evonday Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    r2otg1.jpg
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options
    Up.
  • funkycamper
    funkycamper Posts: 998 Member
    Options
    Great post. While I usually am one to kinda graze all day so I eat numerous small snacks instead of big meals, I also occasionally will eat less all day in order to enjoy a big dinner out at a restaurant or some other social event. I believe in flexible dieting (per Lyle McDonald and others) so I think it's great for us to be able to eat however works out best for us as individuals instead of having to follow some set eating pattern.

I have a friend who is frustrated because she can't stop late night snacking. I have tried to talk her into eating less earlier in the day (or not at all if she isn't really hungry at that time) and to just save those calories for eating late at night. It would work so much better for her but she's brain-washed by the meal timing/frequency myths. I'll print this out to share with her as she's not on MFP. Thanks!
  • IronSmasher
    IronSmasher Posts: 3,908 Member
    Options
    It's just a method.

Bump.
  • rileysowner
    Options
    bump
  • CyberEd312
    CyberEd312 Posts: 3,536 Member
    Options
    I am a type 2 diabetic so meal frequency in my case is important to maintain good blood sugar levels... I skip a meal or a carb snack and my Blood sugar will/can crash and the inevitable blackouts could be on the horizon and let me tell you let that happen when your at the Y on the Elliptical (been there done that) is a very awaking experience. That be said I totally agree there is no set plan to food intake and know some prefer skipping breakfast all together which is perfectly fine but my diabetes has me eating 3 main meals and 3-4 snacks (one of which I take to bed every night, around 500 calories worth) Great post though.....
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options
    I am a type 2 diabetic so meal frequency in my case is important to maintain good blood sugar levels... I skip a meal or a carb snack and my Blood sugar will/can crash and the inevitable blackouts could be on the horizon and let me tell you let that happen when your at the Y on the Elliptical (been there done that) is a very awaking experience. That be said I totally agree there is no set plan to food intake and know some prefer skipping breakfast all together which is perfectly fine but my diabetes has me eating 3 main meals and 3-4 snacks (one of which I take to bed every night, around 500 calories worth) Great post though.....

Good reply Ed.

Look at that ticker ladies and gents. 303lbs down. That right there is impressive, excellent work sir.
  • CallMeCupcakeDammit
    CallMeCupcakeDammit Posts: 9,375 Member
    Options
    Thanks for posting this, it's a huge help!
  • AllTehBeers
    AllTehBeers Posts: 5,030 Member
    Options
    I love this because I don't think I have eaten the same schedule ever. On my work days I snack all day long and eat something bigger before I leave because I work out right after. Then I snack more until I cook dinner and that's it for the day. On my off days its whatever I feel, whenever I feel. I can snack all day and just eat dinner or like yesterday I ate a huge lunch (broiled redfish and steamed veggies) and was so full I didn't eat again except an apple before bed.
  • bossmodehan
    bossmodehan Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    Since picking up MFP again I am eating at less frequent intervals and it's definitely made my mentality about food a lot better. I tried the 5/6 small meals a day thing for for most of my first round on MFP, and found that I was just think about food ALL the time and it was taking over my life! Now I have a breakfast smoothie everyday, pack a 'grazing' lunchbox for Uni, so depending on how my day is, I can have everything all at once or nibble on it and make it last. I also have my postworkout protein and piece of fruit on workout days.

I then only really have to think about preparing one meal a day for my dinner and I put more effort in and enjoy the cooking more because of it :smile:
  • rileysowner
    Options
    Bumping this so hopefully more people will read it, especially following the links and reading them.