Donating Blood?

Options
Does anyone eat differently on days they donate blood? I donated today and my BF is trying to get me to eat more saying I deserve it since I gave away my blood! =P I think he mostly just wants to treat me to something special like ice cream since I haven't had it in months. =D

Replies

• Bella1hud
    Bella1hud Posts: 530 Member
    Options
    I try to eat as normally as possible and don't overdo later, since i eat my cookie and drink my juice that they give me after I donate lol.
  • healthymel7704
    Options
    I don't eat differently, just drink extra water that day.
  • cmayfield3
    cmayfield3 Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    Why haven't you been eating ice cream?
  • bluberrygoo
    bluberrygoo Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    I've never donated blood, never met the weight requirement, but I use to have my blood drawn constantly and my mom would force a whopper down my throat afterwards. They would take a little over a dozen vials and I would faint, that's why my mom had me eat fast food.
  • SammyKatt
    SammyKatt Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    Why haven't you been eating ice cream?

I'm not big on it. I like it, but I've never made a point to keep it in our house or anything.
  • SammyKatt
    Options
    I try to eat as normally as possible and don't overdo later, since i eat my cookie and drink my juice that they give me after I donate lol.

=D I always just have water after I donate. I don't like juice (to much sugar and gives me headaches) and I normally just take the cookies home and lets the BF eat them. Maybe thats why he wants me to eat something sugary!
  • SammyKatt
    Options
    I've never donated blood, never met the weight requirement, but I use to have my blood drawn constantly and my mom would force a whopper down my throat afterwards. They would take a little over a dozen vials and I would faint, that's why my mom had me eat fast food.

Someone was just talking about this at work and saying thats why she couldnt ever donate! She hits the weight requirement, but just barely. That would be so scary!
  • slkehl
    slkehl Posts: 3,801 Member
    Options
    I drink a TON of water and make sure to eat full meals that day before I donate. Otherwise I feel sick. And I eat shortly after donating too.
  • pinkpandangel105
    pinkpandangel105 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I tried to donate the other day for the first time. Didn't go well. The tech said I probably didn't eat enough. Got bruised horribly so I'm kind of glad I can't donate again for 2 months. Hopefully it will go better next time.
  • Feathil
    Feathil Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    Last Monday I gave blood and it had been 6 months since I did, first time while counting calories. So I ate the crisps and had a glass of 7up just to make sure I didn't faint, and I guess as a little reward. I haven't had any junk food in the house for a month. Next time I might eat something healthier, but at the same time I kinda like the reward, considering it takes calories out of you. I ended up being 200 calories over that day, the amount of calories in the crisps, but was continuing to lose weight this week.

But you don't need to eat massive dinners later, the snack/drink they give you is just to keep you steady *straight after* the donation, when you feel most different.
  • Cheval13
    Cheval13 Posts: 392 Member
    Options
    I used to not be able to donate, but since having gained weight I seem to have enough to spare. :) I guess helping others is one of the benefits of not being skinny. However, I think everyone's body is different. It takes 600 calories for your blood to restore itself, but that's over the course of days/weeks. You shouldn't eat extra just for that reason. However, it is important to jump start your blood sugar again... but it don't need to be with something extra sugary. Unfortunately, the fastest way of spiking your blood is with simple sugars. Have enough to make you feel energetic, but don't overdo it, I guess. Great for donating though!
  • mirthegeologist
    mirthegeologist Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    When I donate blood, I eat regularly and drink extra water. Right after I donate, I either eat an apple that I brought with me or I eat raisins that they provide. I usually look at the nutrition content for the cookies to confirm that I don't *really* want them!
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    Drink plenty of water before and after and plan your calories for the day to allow a snack before you go home.
    I've been giving plasma about once a month and I have porridge at home before I go and a slice of raisin toast afterwards - which is one of their options. I don't necessarily eat extra that day but if I'm a bit over my cals I don't worry about it.
  • shanahan_09
    shanahan_09 Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    I don't eat differently when donating blood. I can't wait for the cookie and juice after, though ;)

Very proud that you donated...wish more people would, it's such an easy thing to do to give back. Your blood can save a life!! :flowerforyou:
  • karinaes
    karinaes Posts: 570 Member
    Options
    i eat things high in iron.
  • SammyKatt
    Options
    I donate blood all the time but was hoping everyone would say to eat more! =P

Most of the time I don't eat before I donate which I know is super bad, but I always donate in the mornings so I'm not hungry. I do eat if its at work (like the one today) but I ALWAYS make sure we go out to eat afterwards.

I'm also one of those bad donors that will go out for drinks that night. =P

I used to donate Platelets once a week when I worked at a bakery. Being hooked up for 3 hours was my "typical Friday afternoon". I wish I still had the time for that.
  • skinnyjeanzbound
    skinnyjeanzbound Posts: 3,932 Member
    Options
    According to mayo clinic's website your body burns approximately 650 extra calories during the 48 hours following blood donation. I log it as 325 calories burned the day of and the day after I donate. Whether or not you do this and eat back the calories depends on how low your base calories are set and whether you typically eat back all of your exercise calories. My only extra food for the day is usually only the little post-donation snack b/c my calories are set at almost 1600/day, but when I was down at 1200, I used to eat back those extra calories.
  • bllowry
    bllowry Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    I finally (after 27 years of trying) was able to give blood Tuesday for the first time. The only thing the tech suggested was drink a bit more water. I've been aneamic for years, so the night before I had a very lean hamburger and a huge kale and spinach salad for dinner. I didn't eat the crap they had on offer as I no longer eat sugar, but the hubby took me to lunch afterwards. Funny that I couldn't donate during years of on-off dieting, but now that I'm not dieting I can.
  • SammyKatt
    Options
    I finally (after 27 years of trying) was able to give blood Tuesday for the first time. The only thing the tech suggested was drink a bit more water. I've been aneamic for years, so the night before I had a very lean hamburger and a huge kale and spinach salad for dinner. I didn't eat the crap they had on offer as I no longer eat sugar, but the hubby took me to lunch afterwards. Funny that I couldn't donate during years of on-off dieting, but now that I'm not dieting I can.

You should eat watermelon the day before you donate! Every time we have blood drives at my work we make everyone who signed up eat it and no one ever gets turned away!

I've only been turned away once because of my iron. They pricked my finger and the first thing the girl asked was if I drank a lot of iced tea, which I did, and I was denied. I felt so sad about it!
  • ericalynn104
    ericalynn104 Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    I don't really do anything different when I donate blood, except try to drink more water.

Plasma on the other hand, is another story entirely! lol