Need help (ideas) on braking plateau

Options
I have been at a plateau since the middle of January. I lost 20 lbs from November 8 till January 14 and have not lost anything since. I eat 1200 calories a day, drink plenty of water (10-14 glasses a day) and recently (2 weeks ago) started working out. I have lost some inches since January, but would like to see the scale move again. Any suggestions to break the plateau? Eating more calories? Thanks!

Replies

• akgrown4
    akgrown4 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I wish I had some advice for you, but if it is any consolation, I am in the same boat. I also eat 1200 calories a day and drink between six and ten bottles of water in a day, but scale is refusing to move. Hopefully other people will respond to this with some answers for us.
  • jarrettfam
    jarrettfam Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    Bump! I would like to know too. I eat way more calories though. I sometime eat my exercise calories though. Ive really upped' my exercise and started trying to eat healthier.
  • _Nathan
    _Nathan Posts: 15
    Options
    I have no idea, but from everything that I have read on here - make sure you are netting 1200 a day (I don't do this myself, but am scared that I'll plateau soon because of it). Other than that - have you tried taking some time off from working out to see if the weight falls off some from that? Maybe eat a bit more to compensate for the exercising? Really hoping someone answers that can help me too.
  • Scatterdragon
    Scatterdragon Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    Changing up your food may help, lots of variety. Also changing up your workout routine could help too. I have also had the experience of eating and extra couple hundred calories for a day helping too.
  • BrwnGirlSlimmn
    BrwnGirlSlimmn Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    *bump*
  • annabellj
    annabellj Posts: 1,337 Member
    Options
    ok only speaking from my experience, but you lost that fairly fast. it took me from october to now to lose 20 lbs. no plateau, i eat around 1500 a day give or take and am usually not hungry. my thoughts would be to up your calories as your body may be resisting the low daily of 1200. its very hard to stay at that low of intake for very long. and if you take longer to lose it, i find it stay off longer. just my point of view, no scientific backing.
  • ChristineMarie89
    ChristineMarie89 Posts: 1,142 Member
    Options
    Eat more. worked for me although i was scared to do it it did work lol i was in a plateau for pretty much 4months made me wanna cry lol

change up ur exercise
    lower ur sodium
    zigzag ur calories
    it all varys from person to person so just try something. if u do gain then u know not to do what u did and to find something else. pretty much trial and error but doing nothing isnt going to get u anywhere either lolz
    good luck
    hope something works :D
  • pamperedhen
    pamperedhen Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    They say you should do something to jolt your metabolism. It is used to the same ol' thing you have been doing. Up your calories 100 or more and watch the scale move. Do a HIIT program. Make sure you ALWAYS eat back your calories! I wish you all of the best to you and yours! :flowerforyou:
  • judiramsey
    Options
    Eating a couple hundred more calories per day for several days then going back to what you are currently doing has worked for me in the past. good luck!
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,699 Member
    Options
    Continue exercise and eat back your exercise calories.

A.C.E. Certified Personal Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • JLindze07
    JLindze07 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I have upped my calories to 1380 and started eating back my exercise calories most days. They scale move 1 pound 1 1/2 weeks ago and today it moved again. Let’s hope it stays down so on Monday I can count it. I will take 2 pounds in 3 weeks after not moving for 2 months! Not to sound dumb, but why exercise to burn calories if you are just going to eat them back? And why does it work?