Goal weight: how important is it to you?

Options
jg627
jg627 Posts: 1,221 Member
When I joined MVP I originally set my goal weight to 180. When I was 'skinny' I weighed anywhere from 155 to 175, so I thought that 180 was being modest, until I did a couple sessions with a personal trainer and had my bodyfat percentage taken. At that point I changed my goal weight to 200. Thistles was still a while back when I first started at the gym. Now I am a lot closer to my goal. I've been seeing a physical therapist, who also happens to be a certified trainer, because apparently being nearly 350 lbs at 5 ft. 9 in. is not especially good for your back and can cause some lingering issues, such as a strength imbalance between your left and right hip, which is the problem I have. He thinks I should stop trying to lose weight around 215.
For the strength imbalance I temporarily modified my routine. I removed deadlifts in favor of low weight high rep multi-hip and lower back exercises. I'll get back to deadlifting when things get straightened out a bit.
Back to the point... should I feel like a failure if I don't stick to the goal weight I've set for myself or should I just say to heck with numbers?

Replies

• 0EmmeNicole0
    0EmmeNicole0 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    It's fairly important, but it's pretty difficult to gauge since you never really know what you are going to look like or how you are going to feel once you get there. My goal weight is 145 just because I'm not officially in a healthy BMI range until (i believe) 149. I'd like to be a little below that. At my smallest (in adulthood) I was 155 and wore a size 8. I wasn't happy at that size. I was bigger than all of my friends at the time, so I didn't wear bikinis or shorts. However 155 looks a lot better to me now that my SW was 180, and I was really unhappy there (even though I've grown the confidence to wear shorts and dresses although I'm bigger). So I also chose my goal weight to be lower than the weight I was at my smallest because I didn't feel healthy or happy then either.
  • jg627
    Options
    It's fairly important, but it's pretty difficult to gauge since you never really know what you are going to look like or how you are going to feel once you get there. My goal weight is 145 just because I'm not officially in a healthy BMI range until (i believe) 149. I'd like to be a little below that. At my smallest (in adulthood) I was 155 and wore a size 8. I wasn't happy at that size. I was bigger than all of my friends at the time, so I didn't wear bikinis or shorts. However 155 looks a lot better to me now that my SW was 180, and I was really unhappy there (even though I've grown the confidence to wear shorts and dresses although I'm bigger). So I also chose my goal weight to be lower than the weight I was at my smallest because I didn't feel healthy or happy then either.
    Feel lucky. Even when I was skinny, I still didn't wear shorts. My legs are very white. They don't turn tan, only red.
  • TeresaWash
    TeresaWash Posts: 283
    Options
    I haven't set one and never think about it. So far I've lost 142 pounds.
    Maybe because I have such a long way to go???
  • ampa916
    ampa916 Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    It is what I am keeping my eyes on now, but if I reach another weight I will be happy there. My goal is 135 but if I make it to 155lbs and am happy then I will just try to maintain there.
  • ericalynn104
    ericalynn104 Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    My goal weight isn't as important as being fit. I would like to be in my healthy BMI range which is below 145 lbs. I Originally set my goal weight as 135, but if I'm fit and have gained muscle, I would be okay with being a little heavier. As long as it's healthy weight, it's cool. :)
  • MinnesotaManimal
    MinnesotaManimal Posts: 642 Member
    Options
    Ugh. The lowest I have been since junior high was 180, and that was 10 years ago, since then Ive been 200-230+ so I set my goal to 200 because I figured Id never get down to 180 again. I got to 200 and still saw only fat in the mirror, so went to 190, then 180.... then 170.... then 165...... and still saw just a fat mess that I was ashamed to be.
    Im a 6 ft male and don't have a small frame either. I realized finally that the scale doesn't mean as much as body composition, I finally saw the light and have been weight training and eating more. I hope some day that I don't feel ashamed of what I look like.

From what I have seen of others, lifting High weight and low reps while eating a very slight deficit can do wonders for how you look. Ask me again in 3-4 months..... we shall see,
  • CarrieAnne22
    CarrieAnne22 Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    because apparently being nearly 350 lbs at 65' 9" is not especially good for your back and can cause some lingering issues, such as a strength imbalance between your left and right hip, which is the problem I have. He thinks I should stop trying to lose weight around 215.

Damn! I would think being 65 feet tall and only weighing 350lbs would be considered 'under' weight, lol :laugh:
  • angela828
    angela828 Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    it's pretty important to me. Hate to say it but I do sometimes use the scale as a way to view my progress. Not going to lie, I love seeing the 140s on the scale each morning, especially since I was seeing 200+ for quite a while! I also like seeing a healthy BMI. But then again, if size 4 and size 6 jeans are fitting me at Old Navy I usually say "FU Scale!" and dance in the dressing room LOL I'm scared to NOT have a goal weight because I'm afraid I will let my weight get out of control again.
  • samhelen
    samhelen Posts: 98
    Options
    In reality, I have a goal weight set, but I acknoweldge that there may come a point where I'm truely happy with my size even if the number on the scale is higher than my goal weight -- I'm shooting for 160lbs -- right now I'm around 275 but if I never make it to 160 I won't feel like a failure as long as I'm able to do all the things i want to be able to do and keep up with my little boy -- for me its about quality of life and health and less about physical appearance and an arbitrary number on the scale.
  • StarIsMoving
    Options
    My opinion (and everyone has one, lol):

Your goal weight is a shooting mark to start from. As with anything in life, as you are on the path to a particular goal, that course may change. Goal weights are no different. If you are shooting for it and change course/path, or ending... there is nothing wrong with that at all. You go to your individual comfort. So basically... are goals important? You betcha.... are they set in stone to not change?? Heck no! Mine are every-changing per what suits me... as they should be. Let me leave you with this thought: How many college students do you know that will change majors while on the path to their degree? Same thing. We find out a lot about ourselves on such a journey, not uncommon to change it up :) Great luck to you and congrats on kicking out so many pounds already!!!! Fantastic job!
  • Coco_Puff
    Coco_Puff Posts: 823 Member
    Options
    I would never be happy if that was my main purpose. I just want to be healthy and firm. I'm working on building muscle so I can be a fat burning machine.
  • jg627
    Options
    because apparently being nearly 350 lbs at 65' 9" is not especially good for your back and can cause some lingering issues, such as a strength imbalance between your left and right hip, which is the problem I have. He thinks I should stop trying to lose weight around 215.

Damn! I would think being 65 feet tall and only weighing 350lbs would be considered 'under' weight, lol :laugh:
    oops. Typo. Lol. Should be 5' 9". I have huge fingers.
  • pursuinghappy
    Options
    I don't think the numbers on the scale mean nearly as much as how you feel about yourself and how healthy you are.
    I lost 30 pounds a little over a year ago (badly controlled pregnancy weight) and was happy when I reached my goal of 160. Now, a year later at 165, I realize that I'm not happy with how I look.
    I think it's a process. You might be happy with your body and you health at a different number than you picture right now. I certainly wouldn't let the final number determine my success with weight loss.
  • Im_NotPerfect
    Im_NotPerfect Posts: 2,181 Member
    Options
    My goal weight was a way to get me started. Yes I would like to get to my 175, but I also want to be fit and toned. I don't have any aspirations to be super muscular or 0% body fat. I would just like to look and feel good and be confident in anything I put on. I'm tired of sucking my stomach in to prevent overhang...
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    I figured out pretty early on that a specific goal weight was crap. I had a range that I wanted to get to, and then once I got there I decided to base my goal on bf%. I find goal weight to be a bit more arbitrary. I'm 5'3", there are plenty of women who can achieve 115 - 120 pounds at my height, but I'm 112 - 113 (or at least I was 6 months ago before I decided to add some muscle) pounds of lean mass so you can see that's an unrealistic goal for me.
  • jg627
    Options
    I definitely don't want to get into that weight loss trap where you just want to keep losing more and more weight. I have a friend who started out trying to lose about 30 - 40 lbs and ended up losing more than double that. Now he looks awful and lost all his strength.
    It's funny that I call him a friend. He's more like an argument partner. We agree on absolutely nothing, but that's another story.
  • MinnesotaManimal
    MinnesotaManimal Posts: 642 Member
    Options
    oops. Typo. Lol. Should be 5' 9". I have huge fingers.

Huge fingers =

Huge gloves
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    I think setting a goal weigh is a useful exercise but weight is just a number. Ultimately what really counts is how you feel (pretty subjective, I know) and how your overall health is.

Right now I'm hovering a little over 200 with a goal of 180, based on my current pursuits lighter is better (running, swimming etc) however if i decided that I really wanted to start playing rugby again (I was a fullback in university) my objectives would be different and I'd probably be shooting for 215 to 220 (but a lot lower % body fat).

Based on purely objective health measures (resting heart rate, serum lipids, blood pressure) I'm already in a pretty happy place and that, IMHO, is far more important that how I look at the beach.
  • jg627
    Options
    I think setting a goal weigh is a useful exercise but weight is just a number. Ultimately what really counts is how you feel (pretty subjective, I know) and how your overall health is.

Right now I'm hovering a little over 200 with a goal of 180, based on my current pursuits lighter is better (running, swimming etc) however if i decided that I really wanted to start playing rugby again (I was a fullback in university) my objectives would be different and I'd probably be shooting for 215 to 220 (but a lot lower % body fat).

Based on purely objective health measures (resting heart rate, serum lipids, blood pressure) I'm already in a pretty happy place and that, IMHO, is far more important that how I look at the beach.
    Rugby. That's pretty cool. I went to a fight once and a rugby match broke out. :p I just got a bf % app for my phone and a set of calipers. I think I'm ready to just stop obsessing over the scale.
  • splackk
    splackk Posts: 163
    Options
    My goal weight is fairly important to me, but not just for the number value. I'm 5'1'' and my 102 lb goal is much lower than some other women who look and feel fantastic 10, 20, 30 pounds higher, but for my tiny frame it's perfect, and that I know from past experience. I use my previous weight from when I looked and felt best as my reference, though I feel comfortable in my skin around 115 and don't see any point in pushing myself for fast results between 102-115.