Occassional Drink

Options
kcnjason
kcnjason Posts: 35 Member
Will the occassional drink interfere with my diet? I am small as it is, 5'5 and about 110 but after having a drink I constantly think of the calories and how it will throw off my diet (I don't diet but very careful at what and how many calories I take in) Will the occassional drink here and there be okay?

Replies

• kimabarbiegirl08
    Options
    Considering I gained 7 pounds in a week just from having a few beers a couple nights in a row, and kind of didn't exercise in that week, I'd say be careful what your taking in, and I'd stick to something LIGHT LIGHT LIGHT!
  • love22step
    love22step Posts: 1,103 Member
    Options
    A recent research report said women who have 1 or 2 glasses of wine a day are less likely to become obese. I think you're safe.
  • wubbie3me
    wubbie3me Posts: 11
    Options
    I have to admit, I drink fairly regularly. I have not had a major issue with it, but I also tend to prefer white wine, vodka with Sprite Zero and lime, or skinny margaritas. As long as you stick with something that isn't heavy or sugar-filled (think creamy drinks or full calorie pop and regular beers), you should be just fine. For example, the calories in a 6oz skinny margarita is only 150. So if I know I want a drink, I adjust my food intake for the day to accomodate those drink calories.
    Good luck, and enjoy your alcohol!
  • bahacca
    bahacca Posts: 878 Member
    Options
    An occasional glass of whatever isn't going ot hurt you. Just log it and move on with your life. I have wine quite often(though i haven't in a few weeks. Need to open a new bottle tomorrow!)
  • gomisskellygo
    gomisskellygo Posts: 635 Member
    Options
    Considering I gained 7 pounds in a week just from having a few beers a couple nights in a row, and kind of didn't exercise in that week, I'd say be careful what your taking in, and I'd stick to something LIGHT LIGHT LIGHT!

What were you drinking? You would have had to have eaten an extra 24,500 calories to gain 7 pounds. It was probably water retention or something.
    It's perfectly fine to have a couple of drinks every once in awhile. Unless you never plan on drinking again!!
  • SteveHunt113
    SteveHunt113 Posts: 648 Member
    Options

What were you drinking? You would have had to have eaten an extra 24,500 calories to gain 7 pounds. It was probably water retention or something.
    It's perfectly fine to have a couple of drinks every once in awhile. Unless you never plan on drinking again!!
    I was basically thinking the same thing!
  • Kenzietea2
    Kenzietea2 Posts: 1,132 Member
    Options
    I'd say stressing about it is more likely to keep weight on than having the drink is. So long as it really is occasional and you don't get out of control drunk (lets say, 1 or 2 drinks)- you should be fine.

Choosing something low calorie helps a bunch too!
  • kcnjason
    kcnjason Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    That eases my mind:) I do not drink beer or wine, which I know they say wine is good:) But I do enjoy rum and diet coke or vodka mixed with something. I had a margarita and realized I probably drank 2 meals but let it go.......I need to let loose and enjoy...thanks!
  • gp79
    gp79 Posts: 1,799 Member
    Options
    If you want to get specific about it. Figure what you plan to drink that night, and reduce your fat / carb intake accordingly.
  • sofitheteacup
    sofitheteacup Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    Log it like any other calorie and plan for it by exercising to earn the calories if you don't. Look up what you like to drink before hand in order to do this. I rarely drink anything other than wine, and have abstained for months, but while on vacation this week had a glass each night and it didn't do any damage-- even without formally exercising at the gym for an hour a day, per my usual habits.
    Just plan for it like any other meal or treat/snack, and make sure it's a drink not a binge... stick to a couple or less.
  • amysales
    amysales Posts: 6
    Options
    Perhaps there are several ways to "weigh in" on this topic (LOL--get it? weigh in????). First, drinking too often overall, if done too often , brings a host of negative issues to your body. The most important being that it affects your liver and it's ability to obsorbe and break down fat. So, if you are on a life change journey and using myfitnesspal, that indicates that you are working REALLY hard to improve your quality of life, so I would ask, "why do you want to throw those hard earned efforts away for some drinks that will in the end, leave you feeling yucky and a lot guilt?" The flip side is, life is busy, hectic and stressful at times. There must be wiggle room to exhale and "let your hair down" so to speak (i.e. vacations and a night out every now and then)". As others have written, plan a head and don't make it a routine, but rather a once in a while treat. That will reduce guilt and allow you to fully enjoy what should be a fun time. Just my thoughts....
  • HonkyTonks
    HonkyTonks Posts: 1,193 Member
    Options

You gained water, you didn't gain 7 pounds of fat in one week.

With regard to alcohol calories in vs calories out still plays a role. If you have a drink and you don't exceed your TDEE then you won't gain fat.
  • pamelad77
    pamelad77 Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    I have a shot of brandy most nights in a low cal hot chocolate. It's my bedtime treat lol. Doesn't appear to be stopping me losing!
  • MrsSWW
    MrsSWW Posts: 1,590 Member
    Options
    Personally I'd say that your height/weight is just about right (if not a touch on the low side?) so you really don't need to worry about it. I've lost consistently and with the exception of the last 3 weeks I have had a regular intake of alcohol, mostly wine but very often beer, vodka, brandy.... :drinker:

4558573.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools
  • AsaThorsWoman
    AsaThorsWoman Posts: 2,303 Member
    Options
    Well, your body burns carbs rapidly after a work-out... so work-out before you go st. pattys day! Drink plenty of water.
  • DFWTT
    DFWTT Posts: 374
    Options
    St Patty's Day Parade 5K this morning should cover you for at least two libations lol. Just go!

17880662.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter