the Wii

Options
I was just curious, and I have received a lot of help on here, but is the wii really a good source of exercise? I always work outside but I have heard a lot of good things about it. I was thinking maybe I should invest in it for crappy days. What workout games are the best?

Replies

• jmp33
    jmp33 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I like the zumba for the wii and have "my shape". Also if you reay get into just dance or dance dance revolution they can be a real big burn.
  • brandiuntz
    brandiuntz Posts: 2,717 Member
    Options
    I used EA Active 2 for the Wii a good 6 months last year to improve my cardio. I still use it on occasion. It has some good routines and will give you a workout if you follow it.
  • grnice
    grnice Posts: 96
    Options
    I would get a Kinect over the Wii, no remote!
  • princeza9
    princeza9 Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    I use the Wii Fit Plus a lot, plus the Just Dance games! I want to get Zumba 2 as well.
  • angelasmith230
    angelasmith230 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I use just dance 2 .. especially when the weather is bad and i can't go outdoors for exercise.. it's so much fun that the time goes by super fast! I did it for 1.5 hours the other day and it felt like I was only playing for about 30 minutes :smile:
  • ChristineS_51
    ChristineS_51 Posts: 872 Member
    Options
    The Wii is probably fairly gentle compared to some routines, I have read some disparaging comments about the Wii. I love the Wii fit, and Just Dance is fun and makes me sweat :-) Lots of people use the Zumba, I haven't tried that yet. I htink anything that gets you moving is good :laugh:

Can you hire / borrow some machines & games before buying, to see what you like?
  • Lolli1986
    Lolli1986 Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    i love boxing on wii sport, and just dance. i got a wii because i couldn't really exercise my core or legs, so i waved my arms around a lot and it helped me to maintain instead of gain while injured.
  • cruiser3004
    cruiser3004 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I have used the Wii fit a couple of times, and found it took to long between exercises and as a result, I couldnt keep my heart rate up. On a positive note though I found the yoga exercises with the wii fit board very good.
  • abhiforlife
    abhiforlife Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    The Kinect will give you better cardio than the wii ever will.
  • sunnyrunner77
    sunnyrunner77 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I use it almost exclusively, since by the time I get home during the week, it's usually too dark to exercise outside. I alternate days between Zumba Party, Wii Fit Plus, and Golds Gym Cardio Workout. The Golds Gym game is intense - keeps you boxing for extended periods to keep your heart rate up, and especially if you add wrist and ankle weights, you won't be able to move the next day. I enjoy the Zumba - again keeps your heart rate up with extended periods of exercise, the time goes fast, and I feel worn out afterwards. I use Wii Fit Plus for my "off" days, when I'm REALLY not feeling exercising, but the fun games are enough to coax me into moving at least a little. Lastly, I have "Walk It Out", which is simply a walking game, where you earn songs and items as you walk. I use that to try to get my FitBit steps up to 10k on my non-exercise days, but even that can be an effective workout if you clench your abs and swivel your hips enough.

Try Gamestop - if you're only using it for exercise, buy a used one, and the used games, on the cheap.
  • tnielsen09
    Options
    thanks for the advice! I've decided to borrow my sister's for the week to see if I like it. If I do I guess I'll have to save up my money this month :) The wii seems a bit cheaper than the entire price of the ps3 so I think I may stick with that...broke college student here! lol
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    I love my Wii. Although sometimes it doesn't always catch all my movements so I'm wondering if the Kinect might be better. Might have to steal the child's X-box and buy a Kinect if it continues to frustrate me.
  • shakybabe
    shakybabe Posts: 1,578 Member
    Options
    I've had Wii since it first came out with the original wii fit and used it for physiotherapy as I needed to exercise a little everyday and I've never been the gym bunny type so wasn't really motivated to do the exercises on my own, but with the Wii I was.

I've built up so I can do several games now and faster paced games and get a cardio workout, its been my only exercise option and I'm now 3lbs off having lost 3 stone.

As a person with mobility difficulties I find the Wii better as more of the games and exercises are able to be adapted to do from sitting and using different ways. ie.. you can also make character jog in wii fit by strapping wii remote to leg and pedalling on exercise pedals/bike if you can't jog.... the Kinect doesn't recognise players sitting, as I know a family with a wheelchair user amongst them, so for anyone who needs to exercise from sitting the Kinect is not as good.
  • ohpretty
    ohpretty Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I just bought a Wii two days ago and I have to say it's been one of the best decisions I've made recently. I bought Just Dance 3 and Zumba 2 and neither feel like a "work"out, but by the end I'm absolutely drenched in sweat! I love it :)
  • Vegetablearian
    Vegetablearian Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    I use a ps3 with move as move is the most accurate for movement compared to the wii and kinect
  • tantalee
    tantalee Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    Love Love Love my wii.
    I have all the Just Dance games (1,2 and 3). Now im getting a litle sick of all the choreography but i run in place and make silly things just to sweat a lot and raise my heart rate. Also like the wii fit cd, but is not a big challenge.