the HCG diet

Options
Does anyone have any input on the HCG diet? Personal experience? I was speaking with a nurse who is currently taking the sublingual HCG and doing well.

Replies

• Saruman_w
    Saruman_w Posts: 1,531 Member
    Options
    Lose weight the right way. Not useless, unhealthy fads.
  • daffodilsoup
    daffodilsoup Posts: 1,972 Member
    Options
    Ew, pee.
  • misskerouac
    misskerouac Posts: 2,242 Member
    Options
    in before the lock!
  • bridgie101
    bridgie101 Posts: 817 Member
    Options
    Just had a look at it. Do you feel hungry on it, or energised?

Interesting concept.
  • sleepytexan
    sleepytexan Posts: 3,138 Member
    Options
    I would not ingest urine. ever. gross.
  • nutandbutter
    Options
    This will not end well.
  • penelopiad
    Options
    I, like, totally, might went on, it's hot, the adrenaline diet and lost...
  • nnylee
    nnylee Posts: 814 Member
    Options
    Let's see how long it takes for them to lock this thread.
  • nutandbutter
    Options
    I would not ingest urine. ever. gross.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcT9Bto5-Y_VfmR96c3QHqkPT91OxFegsBD1cKOSgGvWzOFThCsIVA
  • usernamejoe
    usernamejoe Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    urine? LOL! I would run miles for days before I inject urine into my body... just sayin. Have a great day!
  • dinosnopro
    dinosnopro Posts: 2,179 Member
    Options
    pregnancy.jpg
  • jenny2steps
    jenny2steps Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I was simply asking a question, as I too found it unusual and had not heard of it.
    Wasn't exactly expecting sarcastic remarks.... Just wondering what it is ect. The only info I was told by this nurse was that ur was prescribed by a MD.
    Apoearently that's not what it is.
    Thanks anyway!
  • MrPunem
    MrPunem Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Haters are gonna hate, when you are morbidly obese what is the difference in HCG and gastric. Both restrict calorie intake dramatically. I have lost 110 lbs on HHCG since June 12th. I have gotten off 7 different medications, was borderline diabetic, but not no more. As far as hunger, its a mind game, more mental then physical. I can tell you I was less hungry taking my hcg then I was doing a 1500 calorie a day diet and working out. I am in the best shape of my life at the moment, and smallest I have been since 6th grade. I have about 40 more lbs to go. Good luck hope this helps you, BRING ON YOUR STONES!!!!!!
  • Health_Gal
    Health_Gal Posts: 718 Member
    Options
    Hello,

Good luck with your weight loss goals, but the HCG diet is not a safe way to jump start the process.

The only reason people lose weight on that plan is you are only allowed to eat 500 calories a day. HCG has been scientifically proven to do NOTHING to help with weight loss or to make it safe to eat only 500 calories a day. It will not protect muscle, reset your metabolism or do anything else the snake oil salesmen that sell it claim. Dr. Simeons was a quack doctor. His "HCG protocol" has absolutely NO scientific backing and is not worth risking your health on.

The HCG diet has been studied by many scientific organizations, and they all concluded that HCG, even the "real" injectable version, is no more effective than a placebo, and eating only 500 calories a day for weeks, as recommended by that plan, can cause more health problems than it solves.

The MFP moderators have been cautioning members against attempting that diet because it is so dangerous.

Please read the articles on these websites before you try HCG. I know some people that put their faith in the HCG diet, and became very ill from malnutrition as a result. Then they regained more weight than they lost. Now they wish they never heard of HCG.

The Government is now in the process of getting all that fraudulent stuff off the market, and it's about time!

http://www.fda.gov/ForConsumers/ConsumerUpdates/ucm281333.htm

http://www.myhealthnewsdaily.com/hcg-diet-dangerous-1428

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/hcg-diet/AN02091

http://www.webmd.com/diet/features/truth-about-hcg-for-weight-loss

http://www.webmd.com/diet/features/weight-loss-cure-dont-want-you-to-know

http://www.dietscam.org/reports/hcg.shtml

http://www.tucsonmedical.com/pages/hcg.php
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,669 Member
    Options
    If HCG ensures no hunger, then pregnant women should never be hungry...........................

A.C.E. Certified Personal Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • Saruman_w
    Saruman_w Posts: 1,531 Member
    Options
    Haters are gonna hate, when you are morbidly obese what is the difference in HCG and gastric. Both restrict calorie intake dramatically. I have lost 110 lbs on HHCG since June 12th. I have gotten off 7 different medications, was borderline diabetic, but not no more. As far as hunger, its a mind game, more mental then physical. I can tell you I was less hungry taking my hcg then I was doing a 1500 calorie a day diet and working out. I am in the best shape of my life at the moment, and smallest I have been since 6th grade. I have about 40 more lbs to go. Good luck hope this helps you, BRING ON YOUR STONES!!!!!!

Well, since you were morbidly obese it would've been alot easier for you to lose weight at 500 calories a day and not experience many of the health issues associated with such a diet seeing as you had plenty of resources for your body to work with. Not only that, it was your highly restrictive calorie diet that made you lose weight... not HCG. HCG is essentially useless as a fatloss aid. Basically a placebo. Whatever feelings you were experiencing were likely psychosomatic.

However in other situations, such a diet is far too dangerous for the average person to lose weight. All it takes is proper nutritian and maintain a SAFE calorie deficit, NOT starvation to lose weight. Why must people fall for stupid fads?

Eat right, and move more. It cannot get any more complicated than that. If you have a medical condition that complicates things.. go see a doctor.
  • LabRat529
    LabRat529 Posts: 1,323 Member
    Options

FYI... I recently read a very interesting bit of science that indicates that rapid fat loss in the morbidly obese suppresses hunger. 500 calories a day would result in more rapid fat loss than 1500 calories a day. This is more likely the cause of your repressed appetite than HCG. Alternatively, you experienced a very strong placebo effect from HCG. Every quality study that I've read regarding HCG indicates that it does not help with appetite or weight loss.

For those who are NOT morbidly obese... very low calorie diets are not recommended. They're not always the best for the morbidly obese either... but the morbidly obese tolerate them better.

The primary danger of a very low calorie diet (with or without HCG) is that of nutrient deficiency- on 500 calories a day, you've got to eat perfectly or you won't have the amino acids, fatty acids, vitamins, minerals, and so forth that you need to function optimally.
  • LabRat529
    LabRat529 Posts: 1,323 Member
    Options
    The primary danger of a very low calorie diet (with or without HCG) is that of nutrient deficiency- on 500 calories a day, you've got to eat perfectly or you won't have the amino acids, fatty acids, vitamins, minerals, and so forth that you need to function optimally.

Where does gastric bypass fall in to this?

Gastric bypass forces people onto a very low calorie diet, and yes, the primary danger of such a diet even with a gastric bypass surgery is nutrient deficiency. That's why gastric bypass patients are monitored closely by a physician. The one individual I know that had gastric bypass surgery was required to carefully document her food intake and was asked to drink a vitamin/mineral enriched protein drink regularly in the beginning. Once she'd lost a substantial amount of weight, she began training herself (with the doctor's help) to eat many small meals a day that were well balanced nutritionally. She eventually was able to eat mostly like a normal person (though smaller portion sizes), but by that time, she was no longer on a very low calorie diet and was instead just on a low calorie diet.

I'm sure the experience is different for each gastric bypass patient... but the point is, it's medically supervised to minimize the risks.
  • wenders123
    wenders123 Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    Dear Posters,

MyFitnessPal strongly recommends that our users follow the calorie guidelines automatically assigned by our site, unless they are under the direct supervision of a doctor. We are currently reviewing the medical literature on the HCG/500 calorie diet and reserve the right to moderate against discussions of this diet at any time in the future.

For the time being, HCG discussions remain an option for members in private Groups. Please remember that even in Groups, all site wide rules must be correctly moderated, or the Group runs the risk of deletion. Specifically, endorsement of purchasing prescription supplements or medications without a prescription is in violation of the MyFitnessPal posting guidelines, which can be reviewed here: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/welcome/guidelines

Thank you all for your concern. We're definitely looking closely at this issue. In the meantime this thread is being locked.

wenders123
    MFP Moderator
This discussion has been closed.