Long hair and daily worker outers :)

Options

Replies

• mamamudbug
    mamamudbug Posts: 572 Member
    Options
    If I know my hair is clean, but I've been sweating at the scalp, I will pull my hair into a ponytail about midway between my neck and the bottom of my hair. Then I do a quick wash and rinse of my scalp. If I have somewhere to go I'll blow dry it, if I'm at home I'll let it air dry.
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    Washing your hair everyday is not good.. All it's going to do is dry it out and make it break off.. esp with the heat and if you are using a sulfate-based shampoo.

My suggestion is to start washing every other day and rinse in between.. make sure you are using heat protecting products when you blow dry and a sulfate-free shampoo/conditioner.

I have super curly hair that I straighten.. and I find that dry shampoo works wonders on oily roots. I use one by Suave..and it's wonderful.
  • Jade17694
    Jade17694 Posts: 584 Member
    Options
    I wash mine every other day, when im working out i just put it up as high as it will go and then clip any straggling bits up so my hair doesn't come into any contact with the sweat on my face or neck.
  • snkeller24
    snkeller24 Posts: 459
    Options
    dry shampoo if no one said it. Didn't feel like reading
  • charm_quark
    charm_quark Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    I have curly and long hair. I don't straighten up them, because I can't and with some exercise and sweat they gonna be again curly.
    Wash them every other day. I couldn't do them every day! It is an exercise for me to brush them! :laugh:
    I try my cardio which makes me sweat more being done on the day I'm having my hair wash! :laugh:
  • savvystephy
    savvystephy Posts: 4,151 Member
    Options
    Dry shampoo..

and also when I just finish working out and my hair is sweaty, I blow dry it (as crazy as that is). It comes out just fine. :)
  • veggievixen79
    veggievixen79 Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    I have not tried it but I have heard that baby powder on the roots of hair works like dry shampoo. It is supposed to soak up some of the oil and maybe sweat.

it does work, the only issue is if you have dark hair it's very hard to get it to not look like you hair is dull and gray after.

You can get dry shampoo for brown hair. In the UK the brand is Batiste (sp?), but you must be able to get something similar wherever you are. I'm currently doing 30 days in a row of hot yoga and it is my best friend!
  • tatya317
    tatya317 Posts: 74
    Options
    Hi there, because of my busy day with work and family I also usually do work out twice a day. cardio in the evening and strengthening in the evening or the other way around. But it is usually 2x a day morning and night and 6 days a week. I do wash my hair daily but in the evening not after every workout. I do how ever shower twice daily morning and evening after workout. My hair is probably not as long as yours, I just cut it to welcome spring ;) but it's still long enough to feel that sweat around my neck.. yuck !
  • sondra216379
    sondra216379 Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    I was having a similar problem. Used to always wash my hair every other day, then once I started exercising everyday and washing everyday. My hair started looking HORRIBLE from being washed that much. So now I just rinse it good in the shower and only wash every other day.
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,311 Member
    Options
    If I wash my hair every day it gets wrecked. I wash mine every other day (or every 3 days in the holidays when I'm not going to see anyone!). I don't sweat much and it seems fine after workouts.
  • scullyuk06
    Options
    Funily enough I remember having this conversation with my dad who was in the Army. He told me that plain water was perfectly fine for washing sweat out, shampoo and condition as and when your hair needs it. If you are inside all day for a few days, your hair will not need washing as often as if you are outside in a city with polution etc.

I know my hair is not that long, but I love long hair and would stick to just tie it up in a bun for a work-out and wash it only when it needs it.
    -x-
  • xoTLCxo
    xoTLCxo Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    redken dry shampoo. cuts odor and soaks up grease. (i am a hairstylist)
    ^^^ this :)
  • MercenaryNoetic26
    MercenaryNoetic26 Posts: 2,747 Member
    Options
    Shower caps. Urban Outfitters sells really cute ones. Yeah, I wash every few days. I have coarse hair and whether I wear it curly or straight, do not wash every day. Your scalp needs those natural oils that shampoo and conditioning strip. I'm going to try that WEN stuff for my hair. I heard it's really good.

Added: Oh yes, agreed about dry shampoos in-between washes! I use Tresemme and it works just fine. VS has come out with it's own dry shampoo, too. Might try theirs.
  • sammys1girly
    sammys1girly Posts: 1,045 Member
    Options
    dry shampoo if no one said it. Didn't feel like reading

this...if I washed my hair twice a day, it would be in bad shape.
  • 1Timothy4v8
    1Timothy4v8 Posts: 503 Member
    Options
    If I shower before a work out I wont shower after, or at least if I do I wont wash my hair twice in one day, that really not good for it, also I don't blow dry my hair I just let it do what it do, lol

So I guess just wash it once, then if you take a shower later in the day tie it on the top of your head and your good to go, or cut it if you are wanting something new, ((I guess))

the other thing to point out your scalp oil is good for your hair, so let it be, I mean unless you got a buisness meeting or something, I think my hair looks really sexy after I work out and it's kinda wet and wild, then I brush it and it gets incredable valume, my husband cant resist

oh one last thing, I wouldn't recomand washing it in just water if your any thing like me that will make your hair WAY WAY to oily
  • grrrlface
    grrrlface Posts: 1,204 Member
    Options
    When my hair was long it was washed every other day!

You should shampoo only once every two days, shampooing everyday can damage your hair as it opens the cuticle to remove dirt and oil but it also removes moisture which will leave your hair dry and brittle if you wash everyday for a long period of time.
    If you absolutely need to wash it either use a dry shampoo or a conditioner, even a good leave in conditioner as this will replenish moisture loss.
    I know it sounds gross but the oil in sweat is actually great for your hair, hence why washing everyday is bad for the hair!
  • abnerner
    abnerner Posts: 452 Member
    Options
    You should try Dry Shampoo, Treseme makes some and may be cheaper than the expensive brands. It basically helps with any "smell" and removes the greasy look. I cannot wash my hair every day due to a sensitive/dry scalp and have started using this product and I love it.
  • mg720
    mg720 Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    I have not tried it but I have heard that baby powder on the roots of hair works like dry shampoo. It is supposed to soak up some of the oil and maybe sweat.

yup i was my hair every other day and on days that i dont wash it i use baby power :) works very well
  • AmandaCaswell1982
    AmandaCaswell1982 Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    I don't blow dry my hair.... if I did I would have to straighten it! I leave the blow dryer and straightner for the weekend where I'll work out in the AM then wash. I do wash it every day. I'll work out twice a day but my 2nd workout is at lunch at work, so now shower unfortunately. Usually the hair will go into a ponytail after that!
  • SilviCor
    SilviCor Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    BABY POWDER!!!