Menopause Changed Everything

Options
I was always slim at 5 foot 6 inches, and never over 135lbs. A few years ago I hit menopause and now I am 165 lbs and can't lose weight no matter what I do. I do not consume more than 1,200 healthy calories a day and can't seem to lose a pound. Has anyone who hit menopause found this problem and is there a way to conquer it?

Replies

• cschmidt45
    Options
    Hi Nicky, Ive suffered similar circumstances. Gained about 35 lbs and prob about the same size and height as you. I convinced myself that I wasn't eating that much calories wise but when 100% honest in my food assessment, it was actually much more. Now I count every single calorie that goes into my mouth and exercise and it has made a difference. I believe it is harder once your body goes thru the transition but not impossible. We just have to try harder to fire our metabolisms. Get active, count every calorie and you gradually will lose. Friend me if you like. I love the support.
  • MrsKite
    MrsKite Posts: 35
    Options
    I went through the same thing. Once I started moving the weight came off and I got more energy and I'm sleeping better!
  • MzLisa25
    MzLisa25 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Same thing here. Definitely harder as we age. In addition to cardio I started using hand weights and excercising at least 3 times a week rotating upper and lower body excercises every other workout and that made a difference.
  • MissMaggie3
    MissMaggie3 Posts: 2,464 Member
    Options
    Exercise is the key in my case.
  • rdsxgrl28
    rdsxgrl28 Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    I am peri-menopausal and finding it so hard to get it off. It is so much slower and I have to really watch my carbs, which I crave of course.
  • mom22qties
    Options
    Feel free to add me. I too have had this similar situation. I suffered from Adenomyosis, which besides being extremely painful caused me to look 4 months pregnant. I had to have a radical hysterectomy. My body was turned upside down. Working out has been the best stress and fat reducer ever. I too have a slower metabolism than before. I still have bad days (don't we all) but I am not in the pain like I used to be. I am here for you if you need support. :)
  • shakybabe
    shakybabe Posts: 1,578 Member
    Options
    I'm peri-menopausal and have under active thyroid. I started only losing a few pounds a month, went wheat free/low carb and it dropped off a while (18lbs that first month).. then it slowed down again at xmas and back to a few pounds a month. Losing at rate of 2lbs a month for the next few months I should just get the last pounds off before my next birthday and goal date, but it will have taken me a year just to lose 3 stone! .. and wouldn't have managed that even, without the bigger drops sept-november last year from dropping wheat and going low carbs with other stuff (potato, rice etc.. just once a week as a treat meal)