what clothes, gadgets do my fellow runners use/where?

Options
2»

Replies

• sjtreely
    sjtreely Posts: 1,014 Member
    Options
    Shoes - Asics Nimbus Gel

Socks - Zulu

Legs - Asics compression capris with a back pocket for key and ipod and a pair of shorts to cover what others shouldn't be subjected to seeing

Top - an INCREDIBLE Asics sports bra and a short sleeve tech shirt from a former half marathon plus a long sleeve tech shirt if it's cold

Equipment - Polar F6, iPod, hydration belt with 4 - 10 oz bottles for hot days filled and frozen with water or Powerade on some half marathons I've used one of the bottle holders for my camera

Head - terrycloth sweat band - an absolute must - keeps my bangs out of the way and earphones in place

Hands - wick away gloves if it's cold ... put them away for the season :)

Energy - Powerade for longer runs

On Going Comfort - Body Glide - best invention since sliced bread
  • TKHappy
    TKHappy Posts: 659 Member
    Options
    I need to update my running gear LOL...I've just started out so do far:

Shoes: Nike Shox or On Cloudrunners
    Legs: Leggings :)
    Top: Nike Dri Fit anything
    Head: Yankees Sweat band :)
    Hands: It's starting to warm up sooo I'm going naked on the hands
    Equipment: Nike + Sportband
    Entertainment: Ipod Nano
  • 99clmsntgr
    99clmsntgr Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    Feet- Currently Saucony ProGrid Mirage

Socks- *GOOD* socks (just back in from a run in some nice cushiony Balegas. Worth the extra money on good socks)

Legs- Compression shorts knee length, under shorts, calf compression sleeves after long runs

Torso- Compression shirt under high-visibility wicking shirt (I like the obnoxious yellows and Saucony's vizi-pro orange)

Head- Sunglasses if I'm out when it's sunny. Otherwise nothing.

Hands- None (I live in Florida, rarely need anything)

Equipment- Garmin Forerunner 305 with heart rate monitor,
    Flashing LED light strap from Road Runner. Most of the time I'm running either ridiculously early in the morning (7 of my 9.5+ miles this morning were before the sun came up) or after the kids are in bed, so I like to be seen rather than run over.

Entertainment- iPod Touch Gen 3, Yurbuds earbuds, carried in an Armpocket arm band (it's big enough to keep my cell phone in with the iPod)

Energy- Gu energy gel. I prefer TriBerry and Mandarin Orange. Only use these on my weekend long runs.

Water- Camelback Delany II which carries a 24oz water bottle. Again, only carry this on my weekend long runs.
  • Lauraph
    Lauraph Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Fun thread!

Feet - adidas Response Cushion, with metarsal pads for Morton's neuroma (ouch!)

Socks - Thorlo Experia socks

Legs - love my CEP compression calf sleeves for recovery. Wore them once when I ran a half marathon a weekend after my full marathon and they did wonders.

Torso - adidas sports bra (nothing special)

Arms - In chilly weatherPearl Izumi arm warmers - LOVE arm warmers. So easy to take off while running when the body heats up.

Head - if sunny a moisture wicking hat with visor, if cold a head band to cover my ears

Hands - if in the 30's or below I will wear gloves until my hands get hot

Equipment - Garmin 305 Forerunner

Entertainment - IPod nano with armband for 10+ miles... if less I usually go without. I find that I can do intervals and tempo runs better without music. I use simple Sony headphones - I can't stand the ear buds.

Energy - only use gels if my run is going to be over an hour. I like Accel Gels - a 4:1 mix of carbs and protein. They sit well on my stomach

Hydration - only water

Eyes - Rayban sunglass

Other:
    Body Glide Anit-chafing around my bra strap/heart rate strap area. Not pretty in the summer!
    SPI belt for long runs to carry my phone and chapstick
    LED headlamp for the early morning runs
    Pepper spray
  • muzmacol
    muzmacol Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    Fascinating responses thankyou all, food for thought especially on the energy gels and their usage. To clarify i have polar ft4, the f4's went out with the arc (2006).
  • wolfchild59
    wolfchild59 Posts: 2,608 Member
    Options
    Wow you guys buy a lot of stuff.

Awhile back I would have thought the same thing. But once I started getting serious about my running and got on a training schedule for a 10-K and then started looking towards running my first Half Marathong (coming up on April 8) I started realizing that "gear" can make a difference.

Switching from a regular t-shirt to a tech tee is like having someone constantly towel you off. A regular t-shirt is going to stick you and get heavy with the weight of the sweat and it feels clammy. A tech shirt makes it so you hardly feel like you are sweating. The first time I ran with a tech shirt I thought I hadn't sweat at all because I never felt wet, then I realized that it was just the shirt doing it's job.

The shoes - the shoes I'm in the process of writing an entire blog about. It's night and day having gone from a pair of mid-range, budget shoes that I picked up at a DSW because the price and color were right to doing two running evaluations and getting fitted for a pair of shoes by people who know what they're doing. My stride and my pace improved on the very first run.

I never would have thought socks would make a difference, but they do. I started out running in just my regular everyday socks. Then I switched to doing just my weekly long runs in a pair of cheap "running" socks I found at Wal-Mart (again, budget reasons). But when I was trying on shoes after my evaluations, they gave me actual running socks to wear while trying the shoes on, and just the way my feet felt in the shoes felt better. So I bought the pairs that I could afford for now, but have my eye set on a some higher end ones I got to wear while trying on.

My feet actually stay in my shoes better with the running socks. And the small amount of arch support the socks I got offer can be felt as I run. I tried to put on a pair of my cheaping "running" socks on Thursday and I could feel the difference immediately. They didn't fit the same way on my feet, moved around inside the shoe, and I could feel every spot where I'd previously been getting blisters from my long runs.

And I mostly want the compression tights for the long runs as well. I've tried some on before and they just feel so darn good. Plus I've read a lot about how they can help make recovery faster and while I don't tend to have too many issues with leg recovery, I'd love to reduce it even more. Plus, I'm in the SF Bay Area and most of my races are in SF, so it's pretty cold for all of them. And the second I put on my first pair of compression tights I could feel how warm they were, which I think would help my race starts after I've been trying to keep warm in the cold, damp, SF air for an hour before the race actually begins.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    Ok.....

Feet- Asics Gel Nimbus
    Legs- under armour compressions shorts (long runs only), have a variety of running tights, favourite pair for really cold weather is my "Running Room" one with a merino woll base layer, cool weather have 2XU compression tights, warmer weather I have 2XU tri shorts or an old pair of Umbro soccer shorts
    Torso- Weather dependent, really cold weather top layer is my shell, polartec fleece, Asics Thermopolis half zip with a wicking base layer, cooler weather the half zip with shell (reflective 3M stripes), warm weather wicking t-shirt
    Head- Ray Ban sunglasses, cold weather whatever toque is handiest, summer non-name running hat (keeps sweat out of my eyes)
    Hands- Columbia thermal gloves in really cold weather, under armour gloves spring & fall
    Equipment- Garmin Foreunner 610
    Entertainment- none
    Energy- Clif shots (gel) or bloks on long runs (over 2 hrs)
    Water- rarely carry water, there are several drinking fountains on my long run route, will carry on long bike rides
  • pdworkman
    pdworkman Posts: 1,342 Member
    Options
    Other:
    Body Glide Anit-chafing around my bra strap/heart rate strap area. Not pretty in the summer!
    Pepper spray

I realized on my run this morning that I didn't list any of my safety/emergency gear, other than my lights.

In/on my belt:
    - bear spray
    - personal alarm/flashlight
    - my iphone, of course
    - enough change for emergency water/food, bus, or phone
    - wipes
    - blister pads
    - certain female items that the boys don't want to hear about

On my shoe:
    - RoadID
  • muzmacol
    Options
    Other:
    Pepper spray

I realized on my run this morning that I didn't list any of my safety/emergency gear, other than my lights.

In/on my belt:
    - bear spray
    - personal alarm/flashlight
    - my iphone, of course
    - enough change for emergency water/food, bus, or phone
    - wipes
    - blister pads
    - certain female items that the boys don't want to hear about

On my shoe:
    - RoadID

Bear spray??? to think i moan about dog poo!!!
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    I know... bear spray and personal alarm. I think I'd get a treadmill if I lived near you!
  • SwindonJogger
    SwindonJogger Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    Underwear: Under Armor 3" boxers (these are the business)
    watch: garmin 305, has all the functions i need
    shoes: asics kayano 17's. work great for me
    socks: more miles socks. no complaints
    shorts: anything lightweight
    tops: i buy tech tshirts from aldi. They are as good as any major brand
    music: ipod shufffle 3rd gen
    if it's dark or wet, i wear my brooks nightlife 2 jacket, it's brilliant
  • busyblkgirl
    busyblkgirl Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    Whoa! I didn't realize running could be so expensive!
  • MrsM1ggins
    MrsM1ggins Posts: 724 Member
    Options
    Shoes: Asics GT2170
    Socks: cheapo wicking pair from www.decathlon.com
    Legs: Skins compression tights (these are amazing)
    Torso: Nike dri-fit running top and either Nike Element Shield Max jacket or Pearl Izumi cycling jacket
    Head: running beanie and lucky baseball cap if running; helmet if cycling
    Hands: The North Face e-tip gloves

Tech:
    samsung android phone with Endomondo and Adidas micoach installed. Use micoach for my running and endomondo for everything else. Bog standard headphones that came with the phone
    Polar HRM linked to cycling computer. I take it with me when running so I can accurately say how many calories burned
    Timex Ironman waterproof watch with lap timer
  • pdworkman
    pdworkman Posts: 1,342 Member
    Options
    I have had issues with a guy following and harassing me in the wee hours. The police have warned him off, but I'm still pretty leery, and don't run by myself without the bear spray. I stick to busy streets now, which sucks. Also have been menaced by big, off-leash dogs at the park and just about used the bear spray on a burmese mountain dog one day before the owner finally appeared. I see the occasional fox or coyote, but they haven't bothered me.

No room in my little house for a treadmill! I run on the spot or back and forth across the living room sometimes, but I need to get out!
    I know... bear spray and personal alarm. I think I'd get a treadmill if I lived near you!
  • muzmacol
    Options
    I have had issues with a guy following and harassing me in the wee hours. The police have warned him off, but I'm still pretty leery, and don't run by myself without the bear spray. I stick to busy streets now, which sucks. Also have been menaced by big, off-leash dogs at the park and just about used the bear spray on a burmese mountain dog one day before the owner finally appeared. I see the occasional fox or coyote, but they haven't bothered me.

No room in my little house for a treadmill! I run on the spot or back and forth across the living room sometimes, but I need to get out!

apologies didnt mean to be flipant. Genuinely thought bears were a risk!
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,311 Member
    Options
    Feet - Brooks Adrenaline
    Socks - X-socks
    Tights - Saloman long tights if it's freezing, Gore windstoppers if Spring/Autumn and a Sugoi running short in Summer
    Bra - Shock Absorber D+
    Top - either a Saloman t-shirt or dhb sleeveless vest. If cold then a Gore windstopper jacket as well. When it is below freezing I wear an Orca fleece running jacket.

Tech - Garmin 610 with chest strap.

I don't run with music (dangerous) and I don't use energy gels. I take a water bottle if I am running for more than an hour.