really want to do it this time!

Options
20carrots
20carrots Posts: 279 Member
Hi everyone! I joined last week and am loving MFP so far. So much about it is so easy to use, and I think the accountability is what's going to really help me this time.

I have 15-20 lbs to lose and they've been my obsession for too many years. I'm 31 and would like to get them off once and for all.

BUT...I also know that I'll probably be thinking of getting pregnant in the next 2 years or so. Part of me thinks "lose the weight beforehand, you'll have a better pregnancy etc etc" and then part of me thinks well if I'm going to gain a lot anyway, what's the point? And today I was reading posts about "mommy pooches" and well.....it's just annoying to have to think about all this :)

That said, I'm excited to be here and look forward to some great advice on these boards.

Replies

• Kendra7107
    Kendra7107 Posts: 122
    Options
    I know this is easy to say and harder to do but I would go with the lose the weight before you get pregnant approach. :laugh: It's easier to lose 25 pounds than it is lose 75. I know, I know it's not really easy no matter the number of pounds you want to lose.

However, you will feel better during your pregnancy if you start out a good weight. Also, I have quite a few pounds to lose so I speak from experience. :happy:

I love this site too and it has really kept me on track. I think you are going to do great!!
    Good luck!
    Kendra
  • JJs25th
    JJs25th Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    Welcome, and congrates on the decision to start a healthier life now -- and not wait until after the baby. And when you do become pregnant -- stick to the weight gain your doctor thinks is healthy -- don't let yourself go "hog wild". Remember most babies only weigh between 7 and 10 pounds. Not 50. I was told to only gain about 25 max. I stayed real close to that limit -- and most of it came off within 6 months of birth thanks to nursing.
  • jklm
    jklm Posts: 281
    Options
    Welcome to MFP!!! :flowerforyou:
    I recently joined and I really like it. Everyone is so positive and helpful. Good luck on your journey!
  • lulabellewoowoo
    lulabellewoowoo Posts: 3,125 Member
    Options
    Also, this site isn't just about losing weight, but about having a healthy lifestyle. So working on losing weight now and learning a healthy lifestyle will mean that when you do get pregnant, you'll already be in the groove and will help your baby to get the good kind of nutrition and your body too so that it can bounce back easier afterwards.
  • jenj1983
    jenj1983 Posts: 30
    Options
    20carrots,

I'm in the same boat with you on the baby thing! My husband and I have decided to start a family in the near future and for the last 6 months I've used that as an excuse to not lose the 20 extra pounds I've picked up. However, we've actually backed up our baby making plans partly because I wanted to be in top shape before getting pregnant. I think it will be the best thing in the long run and I think it will help me lose the baby weight afterward too.

Best of luck!
  • 20carrots
    20carrots Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! You all made great points! I am currently a "candytarian" and what lulabelle says really struck a chord: I need to get myself in good shape and full of yummy, healthy foods and nutrients for me and any future baby.

I have heard they are lowering the recommended weight gain for pregnancy and that even 25lbs can be too much for many women. So, I definitely want to get in control now and not have to worry about gaining 70 pounds for a 7 pound baby!
  • MOMOFTWO29
    MOMOFTWO29 Posts: 8,276 Member
    Options
    Hello and welcome to MFP. This site is awesome. You will love it here if you don't already. I love it here. It is so motivational, supportive, helpful, easy to use and everyone is so nice and friendly here. I just wanted to tell you good luck on your weight loss journey. You can do this!!!!!!!! :smile: :flowerforyou: :smile: :flowerforyou: