If you have bad knees, GUESS WHAT???

Options
Encouraging news! For every pound you loose, that is four pounds less pressure on each knee!! I have two knees that pain me so this is a positive encouragement to help me keep moving!
"fightarthritispain.org":bigsmile:

Replies

• carole456
    carole456 Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    My knees really hurt too, especially if I've been out for a walk/jog. Looking forward to being able to do more as I lose weight!!
  • SueGremlin
    SueGremlin Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    I have gone from basically crippled with arthritis in my knee to completely functional and in almost no pain with the weight I have lost so far. If that isn't motivation to keep going and keep it off, nothing is.
    It has changed almost every aspect of my life, not being in chronic pain. I can even run. Still can't really ski, but I can't complain. :)
  • kryptonitekelly
    kryptonitekelly Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    my right knew is a killer, even when i lie down, so annoying
  • livinginwoods
    livinginwoods Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    Wow that is great to know!! I have been down due to a sprain knee doing Zumba for a week but I always have knee pain and pressure. Thanks for sharing.
  • Senih
    Senih Posts: 2
    Options
    wow that is good to know...it started out as one knee now now both hurt..thanks for the info
  • 1Timothy4v8
    1Timothy4v8 Posts: 503 Member
    Options
    I have arthritis, (at least a doc said I do after listening to my creaking knees, jaw, ankles ect,)

any who I heard that Cannabis slows your immune system which is great for people who have auto immune problems such as arthritis, I have been to much of a chicken to check this out myself though
  • ladydee43
    ladydee43 Posts: 13
    Options
    Hi my name is Diane and I have knee problems but I stand most of the day at work . I am new to this but I have to give this a try . thanks for sharing.
  • StephanieDJL
    StephanieDJL Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    Good to know, I get terrible pains in my knees.
  • aa1440
    aa1440 Posts: 956 Member
    Options
    My arthritis was getting bad. The biggest thing that worked for me is exercise. The more you exercise the less pain you have.
  • SueGremlin
    SueGremlin Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    Hi my name is Diane and I have knee problems but I stand most of the day at work . I am new to this but I have to give this a try . thanks for sharing.
    Diane, I stand a lot at work, also. I found, surprisingly, that this actually helped reduce knee pain. Another thing that has made a profound difference in my knee pain was Dansko clogs. I just happened to get them because I knew that people who spend lots of time on their feet often have them. They have made a HUGE difference in how my knees, feet and back feel. I know they are expensive but I cannot recommend them enough for anyone who has to stand up a lot.
  • Ninatoots
    Ninatoots Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    Yes, I have painful knees and hops and have had shots in my knees that help, but the weight lose and exercise is helping degrease the pain and stiffness! Stretches afterward exerciseing is very important.

Nina
  • I have a history of bad knees and had surgery on one. I was a runner and dieted during the fat free fad. I learned this valuable lesson and I'm sure everyone knows this, but just in case: eating healthy fats does wonders for your joints. Tried and true! My knees have gotten much better since I stopped watching fat grams and paid attention to protein and fiber. I'm eating 30-40g of healthy fat and years ago consumed 10g.
  • DonnaRe2012
    DonnaRe2012 Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    My knees don't hurt, but boy to they snap crackle and pop. This is my biggest obstacle when working out. I so want to add more resistance training to my workouts but so many of them are based around squats which are really hard for me. I don't want to do any more damage while trying to lose weight. Damned if I do and damned if I don't.
  • JoolieW68
    JoolieW68 Posts: 1,879 Member
    Options
    I can definitely attest to this. :happy:
  • lms32164
    lms32164 Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    :flowerforyou: Isn't it good to know we are not alone? Not that I want others to suffer but at least others understand your pain. So here is to "pounds off!" and happy knees!!:happy:
  • JoolieW68
    JoolieW68 Posts: 1,879 Member
    Options
    My knees don't hurt, but boy to they snap crackle and pop. This is my biggest obstacle when working out. I so want to add more resistance training to my workouts but so many of them are based around squats which are really hard for me. I don't want to do any more damage while trying to lose weight. Damned if I do and damned if I don't.

I have the same issue with my knees. When I walk up and down stairs it sounds like someone is crinkling a potato chip bag. The only time I have some knee pain is when I play volleyball, due to way you have to move around the court.
  • RAFValentina
    RAFValentina Posts: 1,231 Member
    Options
    It's why I want to shake off some weight I've gained! I run a lot and because of injury had to stop running and working out so much and i've put on a few lbs, I want it to go! So am trying in other ways! It'll shift!
  • mfbtle
    mfbtle Posts: 3
    Options
    I had a total knee replacement 4 months ago and I returned back to work a month ago. It still is very painful and stiff because I work retail and walk and stand for 8 hrs. I started dieting and joined the gym 2 weeks ago. So far I have lost 6 lbs and I have noticed a difference in my knee pain. I no longer have to take the pain meds and can work almost 6 hrs. without having the pain. This news about weight loss has just given me a HUGE BOOST of encouragement! Thanks so much for sharing!
  • Lorie66
    Lorie66 Posts: 66
    Options
    I have arthritis in both knees and ankles...a fusion in my right ankle and no knee cap in my right knee..exercise is the best medicine. But you still have to listen to your body and take it slow...I love running and I found if you strengthen the thigh muscles it helps a lot on the knees.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,701 Member
    Options
    Weight is a main issue of knee pain, but another is lack of exercise. When your bones end up holding up your weight instead of the muscle in your legs, then bone on bone contact will cause issues of pain. Also incorrect form on exercise is the number one issue of knee pain for people who are new to exercise. Learn correct form from an experienced instructor/trainer before embarking on your own.

A.C.E. Certified Personal Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition