For those that think cleaning the house is insignificant

Options
sculley
sculley Posts: 2,012 Member
when it comes to burning calories...

909 calories in 2 hours and 40 minutes

If you don't think it's possible come to my house. I will show you how to clean military style. (toothbrush and all)
:drinker:

Replies

• elenathegreat
    elenathegreat Posts: 3,988 Member
    Options
    Better yet, you come to my house and show me:laugh:
  • AllanMisner
    AllanMisner Posts: 4,140 Member
    Options

You deserve response of the month on that one!
  • sculley
    Options

Nice...;)
  • sculley
    Options
    I was proving a point because people were getting pretty snoody about how it's not considered exercise.
  • elenathegreat
    elenathegreat Posts: 3,988 Member
    Options
    Thank you, kind sir...I will take that...now about cleaning my house-any offers?:smile:
  • sculley
    Options
    Thank you, kind sir...I will take that...now about cleaning my house-any offers?:smile:
    Sure but it will cost you a plane ticket. Hahaha
  • blondejillie
    blondejillie Posts: 305 Member
    Options
    Since I don't do it often enough, I really work up a sweat playing catch up. I figure it earns me a glass of wine for the effort!
    :drinker:drinker:
  • KemahSunshine
    Options
    WELL.... YOU'RE RIGHT & THEY ARE WRONG!!! LOL.... :laugh: Most of my calories burned comes from house cleaning... my bosses house is 4700sq ft.... takes 5-6 hours to clean.... lots of vacuming, dusting, sweeping, moping & waxing hardwood floors... oh, and 5 bathrooms to scrub... YEAH, IT IS A WORKOUT!!!!!
  • HauteP1nk
    HauteP1nk Posts: 2,139 Member
    Options
    Interesting to know...

I'll have to ask my fiance to be sure....as he is the one that does all the cleaning...lol
  • kissy28wv
    kissy28wv Posts: 74
    Options
    So how does one calculate how many calories are burned while cleaning? I love to clean!
  • SerenityGelsinger
    SerenityGelsinger Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Wow! That's pretty good! I count my cleaning when I do the vacuuming, sweeping, and mopping.
  • kennie2
    kennie2 Posts: 1,171 Member
    Options

^that
  • srp2011
    srp2011 Posts: 1,829 Member
    Options
    Hmmm, maybe I'll advertise my home up as a gym and let people come clean it to get their burn on :laugh:
  • Bahet
    Bahet Posts: 1,254 Member
    Options
    I'll pay for your plane ticket, you can stay here, AND I'll feed you if you will come and clean my house military style. I am dead serious. It's clean. Mostly. Not toothbrush clean though.

ANY moving around burns calories. Obviously it doesn't burn as much as jgging but neither does going for a walk. If I'm walking around the house pushing a vacuum then a mop how does that not count but walking on a treadmill for the same amount of time does? If I'm reaching up dusting the crown moulding, blinds, etc how is that not exercise but bicep curls without weights is? If I'm squatting, pulling weeds then moving and doing it again around the flower beds how is that really any different than doing squats or even lunges?

When I do a thorough house cleaning I'm as sore the next day as if I really push myself at the gym. My muscles and my body seem to think it's a workout. It may not be the same as working out doing 325 lb leg presses and 75 lb bicep curls but who cares? 75 lb bicep curls are mre of a work out than 25 lb bicep curls but no one says that 25 lb curls aren't a workout because they aren't strenuous enough.
  • XXXMinnieXXX
    XXXMinnieXXX Posts: 3,459 Member
    Options

^that

This too. I agree its a good calorie burn! I use my polar hrm when I'm doing a big clean x
  • RAFValentina
    RAFValentina Posts: 1,231 Member
    Options
    I was proving a point because people were getting pretty snoody about how it's not considered exercise.

It isn't exercise, but it does count as calories burned... If that makes sense. I know that I don't get much CV benefit or strength benefit, but I know it means am more active than sitting on my bum and have burned some calories. I only ever count it if it's a big clean, like a spring clean, or if I've spent at least 30 minutes giving my car a good proper wash and polish. General stuff I'd do normally anyway, like making my bed, tidying the bathroom, I wouldn't count that as it's counted in even sedentary calories, things you do pottering about the house.
  • kryptonitekelly
    kryptonitekelly Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    So how does one calculate how many calories are burned while cleaning? I love to clean!

Heart rate monitor!
  • seflood
    seflood Posts: 3
    Options
    Now that's impressive! Is there a calculation for house cleaning or what do you enter to get the calories burned score?
  • GingerJoScott
    Options
    I count house work AND yard work as exercise! I burn calories mowing the yard or vacuuming! I count it! Here's a website to help you! http://www.webmd.com/fitness-exercise/healthtool-exercise-calculator
  • kissy28wv
    kissy28wv Posts: 74
    Options

Heart rate monitor!
    thank you! :)