• mamabear272
    mamabear272 Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    Better yet, you come to my house and show me:laugh:

Love this! LOL
  • takehimaway
    takehimaway Posts: 499 Member
    Options
    Oh, well, it sounds like I'm going to burn about that today.
  • blv0267
    blv0267 Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    Now that's impressive! Is there a calculation for house cleaning or what do you enter to get the calories burned score?

If you don't have a heart rate monitor, there is an entry under cardio here for house cleaning. It should give a rough idea.
  • amandasue1107
    amandasue1107 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Interesting to know...

I'll have to ask my fiance to be sure....as he is the one that does all the cleaning...lol

HAHA my fiance does all the cleaning too!! We sure found good men!
  • Mom0fTwo
    Mom0fTwo Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    yep i believe it, i sweat when i clean i do it hard core, you can eat off my floors lol
  • GingerJoScott
    Options
    http://www.webmd.com/fitness-exercise/healthtool-exercise-calculator check this calculator out! Housecleaning is on the drop down list!
  • vickie28
    vickie28 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    across the top click on excercise -- then databank -- on the right u can put in cleaning in the search or vacuuming and it will come up :)
  • KPainter70
    KPainter70 Posts: 152
    Options
    This must be why my cleaning crew is so skinny. lol
  • ampa916
    ampa916 Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    I figure it is significant because MFP creates a deficit according to you BMR, what they say means how many calories you burn if you just lay around. So I figure if I put any extra effort (besides laying around) it counts. I can burn more calories cleaning house than going for a walk!
  • 12skipafew99100
    12skipafew99100 Posts: 1,669 Member
    Options
    My house NEEDS you.
  • cramernh
    cramernh Posts: 3,335 Member
    Options
    When I do my spring cleaning... my shirt is soaking wet from sweat from moving the heavy furniture, rigorous scrubbing of walls, floors and windows. I have a two floor condex and the entire second floor is our bedroom - that is almost double duty AND a second full sized bathroom to boot...

Now that we are moving into another apartment, you bet your *kitten* Im counting the calories from moving the boxes and furniture from one place to the other.
  • elenathegreat
    elenathegreat Posts: 3,988 Member
    Options
    Now that's impressive! Is there a calculation for house cleaning or what do you enter to get the calories burned score?

Of course there is! This is MFP! Enter cleaning in the exercise search--there are at least two levels according to effort....
  • karenjoy
    karenjoy Posts: 1,840 Member
    Options
    Being alive burns calories, it isn't exercise though, when did you last see some major fitness guru showing us all how to iron for health, do they vacuum on biggest loser?

Hides under the filth in my house...oh wait...it's NOT filthy, but I personally don't log it.....it's up to you what you log, it really is, you could log chewing if you want, I don't mind, but please don't call housework exercise...........

runs away
  • kealambert
    kealambert Posts: 961 Member
    Options
    I presume all of you who log your cleaning calories don't consider cleaning like that a typical part of your lifestyle, correct?
  • jeepwidow01
    jeepwidow01 Posts: 173
    Options
    Being alive burns calories, it isn't exercise though, when did you last see some major fitness guru showing us all how to iron for health, do they vacuum on biggest loser?

Hides under the filth in my house...oh wait...it's NOT filthy, but I personally don't log it.....it's up to you what you log, it really is, you could log chewing if you want, I don't mind, but please don't call housework exercise...........

runs away

If you are on your hands & knees scrubbing a floor, and as the OP stated, scrubbing with toothbrushes, etc, I would consider that exercise!! :happy: I, for one, do not do that kind of cleaning on a daily basis, so it would definitely be considered. No it isn't with weights, exercise equipment, etc, but I can work up more of a sweat deep cleaning my house more than when I do pilates.:laugh:
  • catshark209
    catshark209 Posts: 1,133 Member
    Options
    I have a big living room and when I move furniture around it gets repetitive...and I break a sweat and the heart rate gets going. We also use a clothesline to hang our laundry..I never log it because of the calories burned police and the whole unspoken "rule" that only certain exercises, etc are the "right" ones.
  • tripitena
    tripitena Posts: 554 Member
    Options

I second that! :wink:
  • plushkitten
    plushkitten Posts: 547 Member
    Options
    I'm right there with you girl.
    It pays off to be a neat freak! ;D
  • sarahsmom1
    sarahsmom1 Posts: 1,501 Member
    Options
    me too I learn visually
  • rbeatty63
    rbeatty63 Posts: 132
    Options
    So how does one calculate how many calories are burned while cleaning? I love to clean!
    Go to the Livestrong.com website for calculations. You can just type in 'calories burned cleaning house' and the website will come up in your scroll.