I've overate yesterday, and i don't know what to do, whether

Options
Yesterday, I challenged myself to eat healthy, but once i started eating a slice of shortbread, it lead onto eating sweets and indulgence in toast and marmlede!
im not sure whether to eat my normal intake today, im going out with my friends drinking also tonight, therefore more calories.
Anything suggestions? I was just planning on eating a healthy tea, or do i eat my normal 1200 calories or less? thankyou!

Replies

• kolakross
    kolakross Posts: 39
    Options
    Just get back on track today, so eat normally.
    And have fun with your friends!
  • josephine_x
    josephine_x Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    Just did the same thing last night, overate by 500 cals. I have done a workout dvd 1st thing this morning but other than that i'll carry on as normal. Also drinking later on, I know it's not good diet or health wise but I do like to get a bit drunk with my other half once a week, I just try to be healthy the rest of the time!! P.S expect weight gain for a couple of days after drinking, it does go away though!!
  • StartingAnewDay
    StartingAnewDay Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    Yesterday was yesterday, you can't starve yourself for what you did then. Your bodies clock has reset itself. It's a new day, do your best today. Stay away from trigger foods, drink skinny versions of mixed drinks or just sip a glass of wine. This is your journey, you have to want it. How bad you want it will dictate how well you do.
  • JillSymes
    JillSymes Posts: 34
    Options
    Hi
    We all have an 'off' day/week when we over indulge. So what! Start again the following day. Don't beat yourself up about it and enjoy your evening out with your friends.
  • Tami113
    Tami113 Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    It is ok to have un satisfactory eating days. As long as you get back on track. I think you will be fine.
  • josephine_x
    josephine_x Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    PPS, I always log when I'm naughty, it makes me think twice next time I'm tempted!!
  • jaqiswany
    jaqiswany Posts: 76
    Options
    Just log what you have eaten, eat healthy for the rest of the day and put it behind you, tomorrow is another day.
    Dont worry about it as long as you log it you are acknowledging that you have eaten it.

Im sure you are not the first to have had this happen and you wont be the last , we are so used to eating that way its not easy to stop , we have to re educate ourselves .

Good luck and dont feel bad..... at least you know where you went wrong :-)
  • Squidgeypaws007
    Squidgeypaws007 Posts: 1,012 Member
    Options
    You don't need to eat less, just eat your alloted (that spelling looks wrong) amount. You'll have days like that, but today is a new day right? and are you going to overeat - say it with me.....no!! :)

Keep at it, you can do it! And anyway, spike days confuse your metabolism and could make it faster :)
  • memega
    memega Posts: 73
    Options
    Don't worry about it. It happens! Whats more important is your realization. Next time, think twice before binging!
  • TourThePast
    TourThePast Posts: 1,753 Member
    Options
    Just forget it and start again today.

If you punish yourself today by trying to eat less, and don't manage it, you'll end up trying to eat even less tomorrow! Or feeling like a total failure. You don't get fat in one day, you don't get thin in one day, it's the overall pattern of what you eat vs what you burn over the course of months and years that matters.

Shake it off, try and figure what it was that made it happen yesterday (stress / having unsuitable food in the house / whatever) and try and learn from it.

The most sensible thing to do would be to turn your computer off right now, stop worrying about it and go for a nice walk instead.
  • keekees
    keekees Posts: 1
    Options
    Don't feel bad you should give yourself one day out of the week to eat what you want ..... Just look at it as a free day and award for yourself for doing so good during the week.... Thats where alot of people fail at with dieting and they just give up on it... You have not done anything wrong just get back on track and keep up the good work.
  • HonkyTonks
    HonkyTonks Posts: 1,193 Member
    Options
    I do intermittent fasting so I would recommend eating less the next day in order to mitigate the overeating from yesterday.
  • lilojoke
    lilojoke Posts: 427 Member
    Options
    I do intermittent fasting so I would recommend eating less the next day in order to mitigate the overeating from yesterday.

^^^ THIS!

I do intermittent fasting myself and if I go over my calories in my 8 hour eating window or if I eat extra outside of this window I will either do more cardio or eat less and sometimes do more... Always works for me!

Remember its what you do consistently that counts not just one day or meal get back up and start over.
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options

I do IF when I'm cutting, but I wanted to chime in on something, and I'm probably taking things too far with this comment but as with anything, I think it's worth mentioning.

I think there's a big difference between planning out over/under days, and undereating due to guilt. The former is more of a planned cyclical intake and the latter, from what I understand, isn't mentally healthy and can be an ED precursor. (I'm specifically referring to the "oh crap what do I do!" reaction to being over on your calories).

I think the best plan for OP is to just resume your normal eating today. Shake it off and get back on track.

I can't find a resource for my above assertion, so take that for what it's worth.
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,154 Member
    Options

I do IF when I'm cutting, but I wanted to chime in on something, and I'm probably taking things too far with this comment but as with anything, I think it's worth mentioning.

I think there's a big difference between planning out over/under days, and undereating due to guilt. The former is more of a planned cyclical intake and the latter, from what I understand, isn't mentally healthy and can be an ED precursor. (I'm specifically referring to the "oh crap what do I do!" reaction to being over on your calories).

I think the best plan for OP is to just resume your normal eating today. Shake it off and get back on track.

I can't find a resource for my above assertion, so take that for what it's worth.

Let me second what Sidesteal said. I also use Intermittent Fasting, but doing it after an unintentional binge is not a good way to use it. Then it becomes a punishment for overeating, and that sort of activity can accelerate into more including possibly an ED. Just go back to eating normally, and get in a big workout to provide some more calories for tonight.
  • susannamarie
    susannamarie Posts: 2,148 Member
    Options

Let me second what Sidesteal said. I also use Intermittent Fasting, but doing it after an unintentional binge is not a good way to use it. Then it becomes a punishment for overeating, and that sort of activity can accelerate into more including possibly an ED. Just go back to eating normally, and get in a big workout to provide some more calories for tonight.

This. I don't think you should 'punish' yourself for falling off the wagon, but more 'oh crap, bad day, tomorrow is another day and let's start fresh.'
  • paigemarie93
    paigemarie93 Posts: 778 Member
    Options
    Just forget about it! there's nothing you can do :] move on & get back on track today!
  • XXXMinnieXXX
    XXXMinnieXXX Posts: 3,459 Member
    Options
    We all have bad days, forget about it! Don't fast before drinking! You'll get yourself into a bad state. Eat you 1200 calories, get a bit of exercise in if you can, then enjoy the night x
  • spitfire1962
    spitfire1962 Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    You forgive yourself and start anew! Today is a new day, this is a lifestyle change. That means changing old habits. Some times we may fall into the old pattern of unhealthy eating. Just get back in there today and make better choices. You can do this!
  • susannamarie
    susannamarie Posts: 2,148 Member
    Options
    One thing I did when I was first starting is, on my calendar, I made a red 'x' whenever I had had a very bad day (over 2500 net). This enabled me to a) track the bad days to see when they clustered, and b) watch them decrease in frequency.