Heat Wave

Options
What do you do to beat the heat? Today it's so hot even my dog doesn't want to go for a walk. And we only have AC in the bedroom; not exactly enough space to exercise unless I want to jump up and down in one spot. (I don't!) Even at night it doesn't really cool down; beside by then I'm exhausted from dealing with the heat all day! :ohwell:

Replies

• Sarandipity
    Sarandipity Posts: 1,560
    Options
    I don't really have any advice, but I am going through the same problem here. It is 37 degrees C here (98 for those you you in the US) and I am so not motivated to do anything. Like you it doesn't cool down much at night. I do have ac in the living room so I do have enough room to workout, but am lacking the motivation and it is taking a while to cool down the room. I will probably do a 45 min dvd a bit later, but it doesn't mean I want to! So do we burn extra calories because of the heat? :laugh:
  • FireMonkey
    FireMonkey Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    I hope so! The one good thing: it's also too hot to feel like eating much.
  • jesp1216
    jesp1216 Posts: 100
    Options
    same thing here, it was in the 90s today and i only have AC in my bedroom where there isnt much room, but i said oh well and went for a nice long walk with ym dog it was exhausting i ended up carrying her part of the way (i hve a chuahah) she got very tired and hot lol oh well i guess i just suck it up n try and stay motivated
  • FireMonkey
    Options
    Poor little thing. My dog is 100+ pounds and part Husky, so all that fur doesn't help him right now. I feel like moving to the South Pole for the next month.
  • havingitall
    havingitall Posts: 3,728 Member
    Options
    come to Toronto...we are having BC weather with rain too!
  • cellorocker
    cellorocker Posts: 290
    Options
    Well, this probably isn't much help, but it usually hits around 105 during our typical summer.
    It won't seem like much, but a nice bike ride is usually what I do if I can't get to the gym, and there's no space in the house.
    Go fast enough that you feel the wind in your face.
    You may not be able to go fast enough to get in a hard workout, but a little bit is better than nothing, right?

P.S. How hot is it, exactly?
  • kellygirl5538
    kellygirl5538 Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    If you have a mall near you walk there :)
  • JDHINAZ
    JDHINAZ Posts: 641 Member
    Options
    I go for a walk early early.....try to get out by 5:00 or 5:30am. Of course, we're accustomed to a bit more heat here, but regardless, hot is hot wherever you are.
  • azwildcatfan94
    azwildcatfan94 Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    Where I live, it was 115 degrees today (46 C). When it gets hot, there are only two options. Go to the gym and find a machine near the AC vent or swim. Of course, depending on the size of the pool, the water could be too hot...
  • joyblaylock
    joyblaylock Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I run about four miles a day and can't always get out in the morning. Here in LA (lower Alabama) it gets quite warm. I bought one of those hikers backpacks that holds water so I can have my hydration source with me. I also take along a handkerchief that is wet--it sure does feel cool for wiping my face. I also have found some shaded routes so I am not directly in the sun and that makes a big difference.
  • FireMonkey
    Options
    :flowerforyou: Thanks for all the tips - getting out early is definitely my goal but because it's so hot I can't really get to sleep until after midnight. I'll give the mall a try; if I get there early enough I'll get in a real good walk before it gets too crowded.
  • FireMonkey
    Options
    come to Toronto...we are having BC weather with rain too!

LOL - just looked at Weathereye - I see you're in for some thunderstorms; we just had a spectacular one on the weekend. It probably feels about the same as here with the humidity.
  • hoamai
    hoamai Posts: 76
    Options
    I work in the tropics - and everyone here just gets up with (or before) the sun and goes out to exercise in the morning. Some folks also swim at the beach in the evening to cool down.
    Everyone is different - I don't mind the heat at all - it is when I am back in the US and it is winter & freezing that I hate to go outside. :glasses: