Just a few questions.

Options
Hello, I've been on here a while and there is a few things I would like to know.

Firstly, should I be recording work? I know to record any and all exercise, however when I registed to MFP it asked me what lifestyle I had. So basically does MFP take your job into account? or should I be recording a hectic shift?

Second, You know that awesome feeling you get when you've lost 10lbs? well It's always followed by that annoying feeling of being robbed calories. I'm refering to when MFP lowers your goal. If I think I'm not getting enough calories am I ok to increase my limit? or should I just trust it?

Lastly, what accesories do you use/reccomend to calculate your exercise? pedomiters ect. I go to the gym regulary but not all machines track your progress and I don't have enough knowledge to estimate.

Thanks for reading my post and I'm always after new friends on here. The more the merrier so feel free to add me. I'm a nosey bugger and I like to see how other people do :-)

Will

Replies

• Railr0aderTony
    Railr0aderTony Posts: 6,803 Member
    Options
    all great questions that I would also like to know. I will keep an eye on the answers.
  • Incredmrse
    Options
    I use a fitbit for both part one and part three. It isn't perfect about movements, but it keeps track of my day pretty well so I don't over eat. It syncs up with mfp pretty well.
  • Newf77
    Newf77 Posts: 802 Member
    Options
    Greetings Sir,
    The following are my opinions;

Firstly, should I be recording work? I know to record any and all exercise, however when I registed to MFP it asked me what lifestyle I had. So basically does MFP take your job into account? or should I be recording a hectic shift?

I do not log any work related exercises, when I set my account up I set it up based on what I do as an average day {some are more hectic then others}. I only log dedicated workouts and any strenous household duties that are beyond the normal {Log putting up and taking down decorations; snow removal, Do not log lawn mowing; cleaning}.

Second, You know that awesome feeling you get when you've lost 10lbs? well It's always followed by that annoying feeling of being robbed calories. I'm referring to when MFP lowers your goal. If I think I'm not getting enough calories am I ok to increase my limit? or should I just trust it?

I trust MFP but do have my caloric goal set lower then they recommend, as for your case remember that if you are working on reducing your weight you need to be in a deficit of calories. You can try the higher caloric goal for a few weeks and see how it effects you desired outcome, I personally would not set it too high.

Lastly, what accessories do you use/recommend to calculate your exercise? Pedometers ect. I go to the gym regularly but not all machines track your progress and I don't have enough knowledge to estimate.

I like a good Heart Rate Monitor {strapped}, I find the machines are fairly accurate. Comfortable workout attire {pants/shorts; shirt; shoes and socks}. I like to listen to music or watch TV so a mp3 player and headphones. MFP caloric estimates are fairly accurate if you are not using a HRM.

Now go forth and get your sweat on,
    Newf77
  • WillJaques
    Options
    Thank you very much Newf77 for that awesome post! Its helped a lot :-)