Is it possie that not everyone is meant to be a runner?

Options
Is it possible that not everyone is meant to be a runner?

Replies

• KPainter70
    KPainter70 Posts: 152
    Options
    I'm not a runner (although I run in intervals when I do HIIT). I'm a lifter. I do what I love. If people love running, good for them, but I'd take weights over running any day of the week.
  • Warmbloodwear
    Warmbloodwear Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    :laugh: I really want to be one! I just feel like I don't do it right and I look funny trying:blushing:
  • modernmom70
    modernmom70 Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    Yes I HATE running and I am extremely fit. It is important to find something that you like/love doing when it comes to exercise, that way you can sustain it and actually have fun doing it.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    I spent 38.5 years thinking I wasn't meant to be a runner. And I wasn't. Then.

I am now. :smile:
  • modernmom70
    modernmom70 Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    I'm not a runner (although I run in intervals when I do HIIT). I'm a lifter. I do what I love. If people love running, good for them, but I'd take weights over running any day of the week.

This! for me too
  • MelissaGraham7
    MelissaGraham7 Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    I didn't discover a love for running until I was 57. I was not athletic at all in my youth, etc. (probably partially why I got fat) I started little bits of running to help with weight loss and realized I was enjoying it. I take that back. I do not like the actual running at all. It is tough. Rare moments when everything flow and syncs and I get "runner's high" keep me at it and the feeling of sheer exhilaration I get when I am DONE are what keep me a runner.

Not everyone is meant to be a runner but it won't be easy at the beginning. Try the Couch to 5K programs around on line (C25K) and if you still don't like it, then try something else. It's cool. If everyone loved running, there would be no room on the roads for cars! :wink:
  • Rynoman2k3
    Rynoman2k3 Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    I've never been much for running but i do it in spurts on my exercise outside and I enjoy it. I've even been looking at buying some new running shoes.
  • delilah47
    delilah47 Posts: 1,658
    Options
    I'm definitely not a runner and never have been. From the time I was in Junior High gym class and we ran the track, my ankles would give out. Like, I'll be running along at a good pace then POW! get a stabbing pain in an ankle (one or the other) and down I go! That was when I wasn't even an ounce overweight too. I tried jogging/running several times throughout my life and the same thing always happened. Now, I am physically unable to run. When I was in my 30s I began aerobics and did just fine with low-impact aerobics and good, fast-paced walking in hilly terrain.
  • christine24t
    christine24t Posts: 6,063 Member
    Options
    A runner? Yes. A jogger - no. Even if you jog for a lap or two, it's progress! I will never be able to run a marathon but I can jog a ways!
  • KLavallee322
    KLavallee322 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    :laugh: I really want to be one! I just feel like I don't do it right and I look funny trying:blushing:

you took the words right out of my mouth, lol
  • Dawn200321
    Dawn200321 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    On my walks I always try to run. I get about halfway to the halfway mark of my goal. LOL
  • 10acity
    10acity Posts: 798 Member
    Options
    Yeah.. I'm not sure why some (not all) runners seem to think running is a superior form of exercise, or that they are superior for being runners. I don't really understand the response "you can do it!" when someone says they hate running. It's very silly. If you want to run, great! Go at it!

I hate it. Every once in a while, I get a big, crazy burst of energy and I just have to run-- so I do. This happens maybe once a month. I worry about arthritis as much of my family has already had surgery/joint replacements because of it (and it has already begun to develop in my hands, at 30), so I have no interest in pounding my joints on the pavement and am happy to confine my mindless cardio to walking & the elliptical.

People have such a hard time accepting that something they don't do might work for someone else. You don't have to be a runner! As others have said-- lifting is way more fun anyway. :wink:
  • emmamcblain
    emmamcblain Posts: 342
    Options
    Yes I HATE running and I am extremely fit. It is important to find something that you like/love doing when it comes to exercise, that way you can sustain it and actually have fun doing it.

I'm not extremely fit, but there's a massive difference on other machines. I can go 80 minutes easily on the elliptical and feel as though I could do more, but 5-10 minutes on a treadmill and I'm just begging it to be over. I did the 10 minutes the other day and my legs are still feeling stiff right now! So in answer to the question, no. Everyone is 100% not meant to be a runner. :')
  • TrailRunner61
    TrailRunner61 Posts: 2,505 Member
    Options
    Yeah. Sadly. I would sooo love to run and feel that 'runners high' again but I have fibromyalgia, plantar fasciitis and bone spurs that will keep me from ever doing it again. I am, however a distance walker (250+ miles since Jan. 1st) and I'm still toning, losing weight, etc. just fine! Don't put yourself down if you can't do it. Find something else you enjoy and get out there. :)
    Good luck to you!
  • AKaTC518
    AKaTC518 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Totally possible!

I have tried many times to run on a treadmill and around a track and I just can't do it. It gives me a migraine almost instantly. I can't even use an elliptical machine since it mimics the same movement.

For me to get my cardio in I use an Arc Trainer. Sometimes I also use a stationary bike (had a c-section recently and when the site was sore I used the bike)
  • sreece554
    Options
    I started running about 3 years ago, you def have to build yourself up. I started in intervals run and then walk, I now run about 4 miles a day 4-5 days a week. I enjoy it. Some people cannot run maybe their knees or the breathing is off. But fast walking is just as good for you. Good luck!!!
  • small4me
    small4me Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    I am sure it is possible, just like not everyone is meant to be a basketball player, a skier, etc..

That is why there are lots of options to get and stay active, it is not all about running, unless you
    WANT to be a runner.
  • nsdjogger
    nsdjogger Posts: 39
    Options
    Yes! Running isn't for everyone. Find what you like doing and stick with it. :flowerforyou:
  • lucylousmummy
    lucylousmummy Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    im not meant to be a runner i actually hate it but.........i have started the couch to 5k basically because i want to run the 5k race for life in july i figure its for a good cause im running it for my aunty who has twice recovered from cancer and if she can endure chemo and radiotherapy i can endure running 5k to show her my support besides i walk approximately 5k twice a day doing the school run so walking it would be easy and i dont think it should be easy needless to say unless i suddenly catch the runners bug i will probably pack running in as soon as i have finished the race
  • leojsivad
    leojsivad Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    Yes. I HATE running, but I do cardio workouts at home in the comfort of my living room. If you love it great, it's just not for me.