losing inches not weight.

Options
I've lost 14 inches since I started, but only 4 pounds. Why is that?

Replies

• emmamcblain
    emmamcblain Posts: 342
    Options
    Are you combining cardio with strength training? It's muscle gain more than likely. I know that's the case for me anyway. I haven't lost any weight recently but there's a definite definition in my arms, waist and legs that I didn't have before. So this may be the case for you too. :)

Edit: As long as you can tell a difference throughout your progress, the scale doesn't actually matter. It is actually quite misleading, and would be much better to just use a tape measure!
  • Shannota
    Shannota Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    I am having the same thing. Pants are fitting MUCH better, but the scale had been see-sawing the same 3 pounds. This morning I was down a little more. Hopefully, it is the beginning of a trend.
  • 10acity
    10acity Posts: 798 Member
    Options
    I am having the OPPOSITE experience and it's really starting to piss me off, frankly. 10 lbs down, but my clothes don't fit any differently and I don't feel like it shows. And yes-- I strength train. I would much rather go down a pant size than lose another 10 lbs and not see it! :angry:
  • bushidowoman
    bushidowoman Posts: 1,599 Member
    Options
    Take progress pictures and keep track of you measurement. Being happy with what you see in the mirror/pictures and being happy with how you feel in (or out) of your clothes are more important than the numbers on the scale!
  • lou1618
    lou1618 Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    I've lost more inches then lbs....I only average 1/2 lb every 2 weeks, have lost more inches... and my husband said it looks like I've lost more wieght then I have. that I like.lol... i read somewhere that people see a smaller u, they dont see your scales... I'm just as happy to see the inches comes off as if it was actual lbs.... keep up the good work.
  • micheleGAgirl
    Options
    also you are looking in the mirror everyday...so you wont notice it every week...once you hit 15 lbs lost you should start seeing more results. for me i try to do more core, ab machines, and cardio. i want my fat so cry, whine, and kick and scream...i have noticed when i do more cardio and sweat more i loose more and of course watch my sugar intake.
  • FireTigerSoul
    FireTigerSoul Posts: 274 Member
    Options
    I'm in the same boat, and it took a while, but I've thrown out the scale. Now I'm much happier. I've lost 12 inches but only 4 lbs. I'm wearing clothes that fit when I was 10 lbs lighter than I am now.

You're losing fat, which is great! That's what you ultimately want...to look better and lose fat. Don't worry about the number on the scale. You're doing fantastic! :) Take pictures...you'll be able to see the difference.
  • JustACaJen
    JustACaJen Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    I am having the OPPOSITE experience and it's really starting to piss me off, frankly. 10 lbs down, but my clothes don't fit any differently and I don't feel like it shows. And yes-- I strength train. I would much rather go down a pant size than lose another 10 lbs and not see it! :angry:

That is me.... Frustrating. 18 pounds down and still wearing the same damn jeans... Grrrrrr
  • tmarcaccia
    Options
    I have lost 19 lbs since Feb 6th, but the really cool thing is that I just went to buy a pair of size 14 pants and a large sweater top. I have been wearing 18/20s for the last 2 1/2 years and I haven't seen a large blouse in longer than that. The pants don't fit perfect yet but man. I really didn't think I'd be able to button a pair of 14's in 2 months. I'm so totally stoked about that. I am just beginning to exercise also. I wanted to get my diet squared away. It takes a lot of effort. I'm just joining myfitnesspal.com to help keep me on track. I'm planning on running a half marathon by my 45th birthdayAugust. It gives me a goal other than just the weight. Good luck everyone!!!
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,239 Member
    Options
    Could be a bunch of things. Basically losing inches is good even if the weight doesn't change at all. People can't see the weight you are, but they do see the inches coming off. Eventually the weight will follow.
  • neverstray
    neverstray Posts: 3,845 Member
    Options
    Muscle weighs more than fat.
  • firedragon064
    firedragon064 Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    Congrats! You lost fat and did not lose much muscle mass.
    That's what I want.