my shins hurt

Options
Over the last 3 days I've noticed that when I run my shin area and the inside of my calfs hurt, not enough to stop me running but they are uncomfortable. :ohwell: :frown: I stretch before I start but that doesnt help. It tends to to calm down a little after my first lap.

Replies

• chgudnitz
    chgudnitz Posts: 4,079
    Options
    I had this for a while. One of my friends that is a distance runner gave me an exercise to do. Wearing shoes, put your toes under something heavy, like a book shelf, cabinet, something like that and lift with your toes. Focus the effort on the front of your legs. Hold for about 12 - 15 seconds, then release for 30 seconds. Do that 10 times, a few times a day. You should see pretty fast results from it. My legs stopped hurting after a few days of doing this.

Hope this helps.
  • Cariñosita
    Cariñosita Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    I remember that feeling :cry: I just read something recently that is supposed to help. Sit on the floor with legs stretched straight out in front of you and rub a piece of ice up and down both sides of your shin. I've never tried this, because I didn't know about it when I needed it. Maybe you can try it out. Hope you feel better.
  • nursegirl79
    nursegirl79 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    Make sure you run from heel to toe. A lot of people land on their toes instead of their heels first causing shin splints.
  • ColinQ
    ColinQ Posts: 76
    Options
    Thanks for the advice guys, I did think about shin splints, but the discomfort runs down the side of my shins and seems to be in the muscle that runs down the inside of the shin as well??? Next time I run I will check how I'm landing, it may well be on my toes, I think i have always run like that:noway: If its shin splints how do I stop it or cure it:frown:
    If I was to try and describe the sensation in my legs, the nearest I could get is to say that when you get out of bed and your legs are a little stiff (especially if you ran the day before) its like that from the knees down but concentrated in the shin area.
    I'll give the toe lifting exercise a go.
    When you say rub ice into the shins is that after running?
  • vanessa915
    vanessa915 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I just asked my trainer about this yesterday. She suggested doing calf raises. Stand on a step with your heels hanging off the back and just lift up with your toes. Your feet should be straight, like this | | Do that 15 times. Then turn your heels out so your feet are like this / \ and do the same thing 15 times, then turn your feet with your toes pointing outward like this \ / 15 times. She said to hold some weights while you do it too if you can. Then also, turn around on the step so that just your heels are on it and lift your toes up into the air for the same amount you did the of the other ones. (Straight, then pointing out, then pointing in.) She said this will help work out all the muscles in there and keep them more balanced when you work out and help prevent shin splints.

I'm going to start doing these daily and see if it helps because I just started C25K and I don't want to end up with shin splints.

Vanessa
  • maddiebabe
    maddiebabe Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    WOW.... YOu guys have no idea how much this posting helped me! I am on week 2 of the couch to 5km and my shins have been killing me and the last time i ran i realized i was running on my toes more and I will definately be trying the calf and toe raises to see if that helps out too. Good luck to everyone and thanks again :) Im so glad to see Im not the only one with this weird issue he he
  • chgudnitz
    Options
    I just asked my trainer about this yesterday. She suggested doing calf raises. Stand on a step with your heels hanging off the back and just lift up with your toes. Your feet should be straight, like this | | Do that 15 times. Then turn your heels out so your feet are like this / \ and do the same thing 15 times, then turn your feet with your toes pointing outward like this \ / 15 times. She said to hold some weights while you do it too if you can. Then also, turn around on the step so that just your heels are on it and lift your toes up into the air for the same amount you did the of the other ones. (Straight, then pointing out, then pointing in.) She said this will help work out all the muscles in there and keep them more balanced when you work out and help prevent shin splints.

I'm going to start doing these daily and see if it helps because I just started C25K and I don't want to end up with shin splints.

Vanessa

Vanessa

The pain sensation in the shin area is usually (most of the time it's not a true shin splint) is caused from an inequity between the strength of the calf and the muscle that runs down the front of your shin. You should really focus more strength training on the front portion and more stretching on the calf area. If you do what your trainer said, you will likely not get any relief from the pain in the front of the legs.
  • vanessa915
    vanessa915 Posts: 68 Member
    Options

Vanessa

Vanessa

The pain sensation in the shin area is usually (most of the time it's not a true shin splint) is caused from an inequity between the strength of the calf and the muscle that runs down the front of your shin. You should really focus more strength training on the front portion and more stretching on the calf area. If you do what your trainer said, you will likely not get any relief from the pain in the front of the legs.

That's pretty much exactly what she said (about the pain being from the muscles being unbalanced between the calf and the shin). I'm not having pain yet, but I'm hoping to prevent it because I know as I get more into running I'm more likely to have the problem of leg pain. (Shin splints or otherwise.) I certainly don't see how what she suggested that I do could be useless. The exercises will still help stretch out my calves and work the front shin muscles.

Vanessa
  • ColinQ
    Options
    okay i've just googled it and checked out several sites, the general consensus is that if you stretch and strengthen your calf muscles it balances it out and should help prevent it.
    I think I will try strengthening my calfs and try the toe lifting to improve the whole of my lower leg. There are some good videos by physios on youtube as well:bigsmile:
  • chgudnitz
    Options

Vanessa

Vanessa

That's pretty much exactly what she said (about the pain being from the muscles being unbalanced between the calf and the shin). I'm not having pain yet, but I'm hoping to prevent it because I know as I get more into running I'm more likely to have the problem of leg pain. (Shin splints or otherwise.) I certainly don't see how what she suggested that I do could be useless. The exercises will still help stretch out my calves and work the front shin muscles.

Vanessa

Oh no no no I totally didn't mean to say they were useless. I'm sorry if it came off that way.

What I was trying to say was that a lot of the pain people get it from not having strong enough shin muscles. Try adding in some strength training that focuses the front of the legs too. You should certainly listen to her in reguards to your calves. :drinker:
  • ColinQ
    Options
    Okay after this mornings run I'm pretty sure its shin splints:sad: :ohwell: I did my stretching before and after, but I get the pain exactly where the experts say it would be:noway: So once I had finished I rubbed ice on my shins and after my shower applied ibuleve. While running I made a conscious effort to see how I was running, and I land on my heel and the foot rolls through mostly on the outer edge of my foot.
    Next step is to start building up the shin muscles, that I never knew existed:laugh: :bigsmile: I hope I can get this sorted because I've noticed that I now complete my course with being to out of breath, but i cant speed up or increase my distance because of my shins:grumble: :grumble:
  • gemiwing
    gemiwing Posts: 1,525 Member
    Options
    I'm going to probably catch flak for this- but try running on your balls first instead of your heel. Slamming your heel down doesn't help absorb impact. Shoes don't absorb impact as much as one would think.

I had tons of shin pain before I changed how I ran. Landing on the ball of your foot lets your hell form a 'spring' (for lack of better word) to help absorb the impact. Do some research on Chi running or Chi walking.

To be safe I'd check with your doc on the splints. Sorry you're in pain!:flowerforyou:
  • Cariñosita
    Cariñosita Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    The ice thing......not necessarily just after running. Just a couple times a day. I hope it gets better for you.
  • ColinQ
    Options
    Okay i rested the over the weekend and I bought some elasticated shin supports, that really helped, I wasn't in half the discomfort.:smile: I even shaved a minute of my time:drinker:
  • ColinQ
    Options
    After 2 days rest and shin supports they were okay, but they hurt again this morning, I dont think they going to get better fast:explode: :angry: :devil: :frown: :frown: :sad: Oh well back to the ice and shin exercises, plus I will by some tighter supports today.:huh:
  • tvfit
    tvfit Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    be careful you're not overtraining. maybe consider some cross training? Some cycling, swimming, elliptical ...
    overtraining can cause stress fractures. a symptom of stress fractures is that the pain goes away once you've been running for a while. good luck!
  • ColinQ
    Options
    :noway: :frown: yikes, I did consider cycling to work, which is about 5 miles, and a third of that is up hill (onthe way there:bigsmile: ) but we don't have any shower facilities there and I would be all sweaty, plus we are having a typical UK summer and it has rained nearly everyday for the last month:grumble: :angry:
  • thumper44
    thumper44 Posts: 1,464 Member
    Options
    Okay i rested the over the weekend and I bought some elasticated shin supports, that really helped, I wasn't in half the discomfort.:smile: I even shaved a minute of my time:drinker:

What are elasticated shin supports?

I was also getting shin splints on occasion. I have been doing calve raises, I started to stretch more before I went out for a wog, but it didn't stop until I got a new pair of shoes.
    I got Saucony's.
    Just another thought.
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options
    :noway: :frown: yikes, I did consider cycling to work, which is about 5 miles, and a third of that is up hill (onthe way there:bigsmile: ) but we don't have any shower facilities there and I would be all sweaty, plus we are having a typical UK summer and it has rained nearly everyday for the last month:grumble: :angry:

Well if it rains then you wont be sweaty............sheesh, just cant make some ppl happy!:grumble:

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
  • ColinQ
    Options
    :laugh: Just need to take a towel to dry off:ohwell:

My elasticated shin supports are like tubigrip. Its basically like a stretchy knee support but shaped for the calf and lower leg. Its like wearing really tight high socks:laugh:
    Probably similar to the ones you buy to prevent deep vein thrombosis on planes. but tighter and with no feet:wink:

My shins hrt again this morning on my run, but I went for a longer run yesterday probably about 4 miles:sick: