* When does your body start to store fat?*

Options
-I was just thinking I ate a huge lunch normally my lunch is around 350 and then snacks are 100 each.. I try and eat around 1200. But anyways today lunch was 635 oops! I will adjust my meals so my total is still somewhere around 1200. But my thought it since I ate more than I need ( i know i did bc I feel soo full) is my body starting to store fat or does the body know its a whole day and I will still burn off some of those calories.. maybe this is a stupid question but idkk just had me thinkkin..

Replies

• robinhaningtoes
    Options
    GOOD QUESTION. I don't know. Do some jumping jacks and get it burning lol
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options
    -I was just thinking I ate a huge lunch normally my lunch is around 350 and then snacks are 100 each.. I try and eat around 1200. But anyways today lunch was 635 oops! I will adjust my meals so my total is still somewhere around 1200. But my thought it since I ate more than I need ( i know i did bc I feel soo full) is my body starting to store fat or does the body know its a whole day and I will still burn off some of those calories.. maybe this is a stupid question but idkk just had me thinkkin..

From a physiological standpoint I actually don't know the exact timeframe under which fat is stored -- BUT, I will say this: It doesn't matter.

All that matters is this: Over the course of time, fat oxidation needs to exceed fat storage. This will happen by itself if you're eating in a caloric deficit, regardless of the short term effects of larger vs smaller meals.

Think of it this way: Suppose you eat all of your calories in 1 big meal. You might gain some fat. But you're also then spending the rest of the day not eating, and during a portion of that time you will be burning fat. The net result will be governed by where you land on the calories in/out side of things.
  • skinnydream115
    Options

From a physiological standpoint I actually don't know the exact timeframe under which fat is stored -- BUT, I will say this: It doesn't matter.

All that matters is this: Over the course of time, fat oxidation needs to exceed fat storage. This will happen by itself if you're eating in a caloric deficit, regardless of the short term effects of larger vs smaller meals.

Think of it this way: Suppose you eat all of your calories in 1 big meal. You might gain some fat. But you're also then spending the rest of the day not eating, and during a portion of that time you will be burning fat. The net result will be governed by where you land on the calories in/out side of things.

oh that makes sense. But its pry best to eat 5-6 smaller meals a day then??
  • OneChanceOneLife
    OneChanceOneLife Posts: 26 Member
    Options

I agree with this but also remember that the reason that you are always told to eat more times during the day is to keep your metabolism up and burning more calories while at rest. It requires calories to break down what you eat.

When it comes to storing fat, essentially the process begins immediately. Depending on how many calories you burn at rest, anything extra starts to become fat. Simple carbs (i.e. sugar) is the easiest to burn because it is easy to break down, which also means it is the easiest to convert to fat. Carbs are the next easiest followed by protein and fat.

I wouldn't recommend eating once a day but if you do it once in a while, no biggie.
  • sportsciencegirl
    sportsciencegirl Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    It takes roughly 16-20 hours for the calories you have consumed to pass through your system! So initially conversion of carbs into glycogen for energy! If it's not used, some will get stored in the Liver as glycogen for use later when it is needed. When liver stores are full, it will be converted into fatty acids and stored as fat!

It also depends on your insulin levels.....if you have a meal high in sugars (saturated carbs) then insulin levels will spike which will inhibit fats breaking down for energy as well as telling the cells to build glycogen and fats

The fatty acids are then absorbed from the blood into fat cells, muscle cells and liver cells. In these cells, under stimulation by insulin, fatty acids are made into fat molecules and stored as fat droplets.

It also depends on what type of foods you eat.

I wouldn't stress too much about it though because as sidesteal says, it's a matter of a calorie deficit.
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,239 Member
    Options

oh that makes sense. But its pry best to eat 5-6 smaller meals a day then??

It makes no difference. Meal frequency has nothing to do with metabolism or fat loss, it is about a caloric deficit. There is no better or worse. If eating 5-6 meals keeps you from going off the calorie deficit good for you do it. If you find eating that many times in small meals is what is causing you to go off your calorie deficit, then eat fewer but larger meals. Check this post out http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/529002-a-compliation-on-meal-frequency
  • rileysowner
    Options
    I agree with this but also remember that the reason that you are always told to eat more times during the day is to keep your metabolism up and burning more calories while at rest. It requires calories to break down what you eat.

Meal frequency has no metabolic increasing factor. A smaller meal will have a lower and shorter lasting metabolic effect, and a larger meal will have a large and longer lasting effect. At the end of the day, the clinical studies show the total effect for the day is exactly the same. Eat the number of meals that work for you. I do 2-3 between 12:30-2PM start time, to about 8PM ending time. The rest of the day I don't eat anything, just drink water or tea. Check out this post which I linked to in my previous response http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/529002-a-compliation-on-meal-frequency
  • skinnydream115
    Options

When it comes to storing fat, essentially the process begins immediately. Depending on how many calories you burn at rest, anything extra starts to become fat. Simple carbs (i.e. sugar) is the easiest to burn because it is easy to break down, which also means it is the easiest to convert to fat. Carbs are the next easiest followed by protein and fat.

I wouldn't recommend eating once a day but if you do it once in a while, no biggie.

GREAT. It happens right away lol I can feel it piling up :/ haha fuuuudgeee! my worst nightmare is truee.
  • rileysowner
    Options

GREAT. It happens right away lol I can feel it piling up :/ haha fuuuudgeee! my worst nightmare is truee.

It happens right away with your small meals as well. Whatever the body doesn't need is stored either as glycogen in the liver and muscles or as fat. Then when your body needs it, it uses it. What matters is your total day deficit.

For argument sake, lest assume that your body needed 300 of those 625 calories right away (remember in reality it takes hours to digest your meal, it is not instantaneous but for argument sake we will say it is instant). That leaves 325 calories which we will assume are all stored as fat, again just for example. That would be .09 of a pound or about 1.5 ounces. I really don't think you are going to notice that. Then add the fact that a mixed meal or carbs, protein and fat takes several hours to digest, longer in fact than a smaller meal because it was bigger, and your fat storage will be even less than that. Your ARE NOT putting on fat so that you would have any noticeable change. You are certainly not "piling up" at all. Be realistic and don't buy into the myth that many small meals are any different to your body than fewer bigger meals.
  • 4theking
    4theking Posts: 1,196 Member
    Options
    Fat goes in and out of the fat cell all day long so frequency or timing has no bearing whatsover on how much gets stored.
  • amyy902
    amyy902 Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    Fat goes in and out of the fat cell all day long so frequency or timing has no bearing whatsover on how much gets stored.

this :)
  • LabRat529
    LabRat529 Posts: 1,323 Member
    Options

This.

I actually did look to see if I could find a time-frame for fat storage once. I couldn't. Instead, I found a guestimation in rats, produced by sacrificing the rats at different intervals after a large, fatty meal, and measuring their adipose tissue. They can't do that in people... so bottom line is... I don't think researchers really know the time frame.

But... it also doesn't matter. I agree with Sidesteal.
  • rcramer7
    rcramer7 Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    All these replies make sense to me I like Sportscience reply because I'm a bit more literal minded and she's cute.

From my experience eating one meal(dinner) a day I felt more tired and started to get chubby in the stomach.

I now eat something like this:
    wake up 30g whey, an hour or two exercise for an hour, 30g whey shake, about an hour eat lunch, about 3hrs eat lunch again, about 3hrs eat bigger than average dinner, eat gummy bears watch T.V., about 2hrs have a bowl(bigger than normal) of cereal, about an hour maybe have some more gummy bears. Not too much variation everyday.

I'll add that I am 212lbs and 18%bf and my goal is to stay 200lbs and lower to 15%bf. So, what works for me may not work fo....

"For ME" I start to store fat when I don't eat enough and don't exercise. My body goes into fight or flight mode and retains/stores fat and water. I get tired, depressed and lazy.

As far as..."I ate a huge million cal. sandwich today" wouldn't do anything short of increase the morning office visit!