Losing Pounds but Not Inches

Options
For the last month it seems that I haven't had much difficulty losing weight but I haven't seen much, if any, inches loss. Is this normal? What can I do to change that?

Replies

• privatetime
    privatetime Posts: 118
    Options
    Me too! Over 20lbs down, and same waist measurement as 2 months ago. It's freaky. My clothes aren't the least bit looser.
  • TurtleTape
    TurtleTape Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    Ditto. This is incredibly frustrating >.>
  • sportsciencegirl
    sportsciencegirl Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Me too! Over 20lbs down, and same waist measurement as 2 months ago. It's freaky. My clothes aren't the least bit looser.

Wow, 20lbs and your clothes aren't the bit looser - that's crazy?! Could you maybe still be bloated or something?
  • picimadar
    picimadar Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Veganboi is 100% correct. If you're losing weight and not inches, you are almost certainly losing lean muscle, and you'll regret it SO MUCH later when you've slowed your metabolism to a complete halt.
  • sarammorgan
    Options
    A similar thing happened to me. I had lost more than 10 pounds in about six weeks, and my waist measurement stayed exactly the same. My clothes were looser, but the measurement wouldn't budge. This week I hit the 15-pound weight loss mark, and even though I told myself I wasn't going to measure, I did it anyway. I had lost two inches off my waist! It may just take some time for the progress to show up.
  • Churble
    Churble Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I've experienced the same thing. After almost 60 pounds lost you'd think I'd be down more than just barely two sizes, but really that's about it. My legs are leaner, and my forearms, but my upper arms look almost freakish now because they're the same size they were when I weighed 300 pounds. Also my waist and hips have barely budged. It does get frustrating, but you can't control where you lose from and when.

And for those saying it's losing muscle. You don't know that. I've been exercising and lifting weights along with my dietary changes. I have put on a significant amount of muscle in my arms and legs. Trust me, my muscle isn't going anywhere, it just doesn't seem that any of the fat in my arms and stomach are going anywhere either.
  • BodyUnderConstruction
    Options
    Same here! First I gained a little weight, but I've been working out like nuts so I figured it was muscle. No biggie. Weighed myself today, I've lost three pounds but my measurements are no different.
  • sissypunks
    Options
    i have the opposite im losing inches but not much weight hope it all equals out in the end
  • sportsciencegirl
    sportsciencegirl Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Suppose it depends on what weight you started out at...

Like someone else said, it could be muscle.

It could be error in measurement

Could be your losing weight from all over the body proportionally, and not just from one location

Could be losing visceral (within organs) instead of subcutaneous fat (beneath the skin) - in which case your health is getting better and your reducing your risk of cardiovascular diseases. It's not a case of one comes before the other, but it could be a possibility.
  • Peppychristian
    Peppychristian Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    I am glad someone posted this. I have lost 27 lbs. but only a couple inches. My stomach doesn't seem to have budged at all. I am exercising and eating plenty of protein so I would doubt that I am losing muscle. I am working towards reducing fat intake and am considering mixing weights with my cardio.
  • Cornwallis68
    Cornwallis68 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I was thinking of posting about this today! I have been losing weight for 6 months and working out for about 4 or 5 (mixture of strength and cardio). I've lost 2 stone and feel SO much better, but all my clothes still fit (if a tiny bit roomier) and I've hardly lost any inches at all. No one's noticed - or at least not commented. But I feel great, so I'm not letting it worry me - it is a bit odd though.
  • libby555
    libby555 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Thanks for posting this! I have dropped in lbs recently but no change in measurement around the waist. There has been some improvement in other areas though so something is better than nothing. Interesting how my clothes feel better and it looks better but still measuring the exact same. Strange!
  • shakybabe
    shakybabe Posts: 1,578 Member
    Options
    This is encouraging so when I lost 13" off tummy and 7 " off waist I was losing fat and not muscle? .. I've gone down 3 sizes but only lost 39lbs? .. my goal was only 3 stone (42lbs) to reach 133lbs and its taken me since last June... and I was thinking my weight loss was really slow and rubbish compared to others saying they could lose like 4st in a couple of months?
  • ARC84
    ARC84 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Suppose it depends on what weight you started out at...

Like someone else said, it could be muscle.

It could be error in measurement

Could be your losing weight from all over the body proportionally, and not just from one location

Could be losing visceral (within organs) instead of subcutaneous fat (beneath the skin) - in which case your health is getting better and your reducing your risk of cardiovascular diseases. It's not a case of one comes before the other, but it could be a possibility.

hmmm... that's interesting. I think that may be the case.
  • ARC84
    ARC84 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for your replies. I have lost some inches in the first few months but it seemed to halt. A friend did ask if I was doing strength training and to be honest I have slowed down quite a bit. So, it may be some muscle. The weird thing is that all my clothes are much more loose and I can see that I have toned a bunch but for some reason the inches just don't seem to fall. So, I guess I just need to get back to my routine I had before for strength training.
  • TriciaZ944
    TriciaZ944 Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    Add weight training to your program it will help reduce your inches.
  • bfbooty
    bfbooty Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    Veganboi is 100% correct. If you're losing weight and not inches, you are almost certainly losing lean muscle, and you'll regret it SO MUCH later when you've slowed your metabolism to a complete halt.

Well, some fat should still be lost even if muscle mass is lost. I think the issue experienced is... you girls might just be measuring your waist. A lot of women are bottom heavy. It's like a guy measuring his hips and saying "i am not losing any inches.
    Depends where you measure.

i was thinking along the same lines i always tend to lose weight off the likes of my face hand arms and even my feet before it starts showing on my waistline and other areas
  • firedragon064
    firedragon064 Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    You lost internal fat - fat around your organs:heart, liver
    Waist is the last body part it will lose, you are losing fat in other part of your body.
    You may losing some muscle mass - make sure you are not eat below your BMR and eat enough protein for your LBM.
  • Robin_Bin
    Robin_Bin Posts: 1,046 Member
    Options
    I don't know... but have you considered what kinds of exercise you're doing? Are you doing things that use your abdominal muscles? Are you doing those exercises in a way that encourages the muscles to tighten in? While you may not be able to control where you lose fat (that's a matter for debate), you do have some control over which muscles and types of exercise you do. I don't know if she was correct, but I had one exercise instructor who said if you did things like sit-ups and leg lifts the wrong way you could actually encourage your stomach area to stick out instead of firming it up.