Any recent Atkins users?

Options
Hey everyone,

I'm not only new to MFP and looking for some buddies but - I also picked up my old copy of the Atkins Diet book and was thinking it could help me get past all these awful sugar/carb cravings I've been having lately. They've been horribly hindering my weightloss attempts.

Is anyone on here doing the low carb lifestyle or an Atkins fan? What kind of results have you seen?

I hope I don't cause a stir in here because I know there are those who are against what he preaches but I'm just curious.

Replies

• jillian769
    jillian769 Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    I am actually doing Atkins right now. I am 10 days in to the 2 week induction phase, which is 20-25 carbs a day. I have done low carb diets before and they work pretty well...However, I usually only get to a certain weight loss with them and then it kind of stops working. I have been "dieting" for a year and have just basically been counting my calories and working out like a wild person. lol. I have done a few cleanses too, which worked really well. The only reason I am doing Atkins now is to break through my plateau and lose a bunch of weight really quick. In ten days I have lost almost 6 pounds, which isn't too bad. I will probably only stay on it for a month and then go back to counting calories. It does work pretty well in curbing sugar cravings!!! :)
  • kate_sunflower
    kate_sunflower Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    6 pounds?? Wow! That's awesome! Yeah I read it cover to cover last summer and I'd really like to commit to it. I'm in a much better place to do it. How were the first few days?
  • jasoe
    jasoe Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Yes, I have been successful w/Atkins and I believe in the philosophy. I am currently trying a grain free/sugar free approach. Limiting my sweetener intake as well. I love my Splenda but I am trying to switch to Truvia, they say it is better. I don't recall experiencing a lot of hunger on Atkins, this current approach(BFC FAST TRACK) has fewer options, but I will give it a few more days.

I want to lose 7 more pounds!!

Do you have a lot you want to lose?
  • kate_sunflower
    Options
    The Jorge Cruise BFC? I have that book too! But I want to see if I can do this now I'm in a different environment/mindset I was when I first picked up Atkins.

As for weight loss about 20-20 lbs and I would say I'm in the middle range? I'm 5'4", currently weight 143 lbs and would like to be between 120-125 lbs. That's my normal weight before I gained 35 lbs this summer :(
  • jillian769
    Options
    6 pounds?? Wow! That's awesome! Yeah I read it cover to cover last summer and I'd really like to commit to it. I'm in a much better place to do it. How were the first few days?
  • jillian769
    Options
    Yeah the first few days are probably the hardest, but it gets easier.
  • MelissaE27
    MelissaE27 Posts: 682 Member
    Options
    One of my really good friends did the adkins and continued it as a lifestyle has lost 115 pounds and has kept it off.. looks amazing...Ive tried it but I dont have a gallbladder and it messes me up to follow it strictly so Im doing 60 carbs or under...
  • martinah4
    martinah4 Posts: 583 Member
    Options
    I do Atkins. I think you've made a good decision. Consider it a lifestyle change, not a quick fix, though! Good luck!
  • martinah4
    martinah4 Posts: 583 Member
    Options
    Also, there are low-carb groups on here. I think you can do a search for it. Lot's of Atkins, Paleo and low-carbers with great advice and support!
  • Marll
    Marll Posts: 904 Member
    Options
    Currently following an Atkins approach and have used it in the past with amazing success. I'm a firm believer in the way that lower carb diets work and as most people that have actually tried it (and followed it properly) I never feel better than when I am low carbbing.
  • motherangel5
    Options
    Hi I'm new to MFP and also today is my first day starting the Atkins diet. I've done it in the past and had great success. we'll encourage each other on our way to better health. Best Wishes!
  • rotnkat
    rotnkat Posts: 393 Member
    Options
    Ive tried it but I dont have a gallbladder and it messes me up to follow it strictly so Im doing 60 carbs or under...

I had mine removed in 1988 and have had many digestive issues since then. But since I have been low carbing it is definitely much better. I also got other medical issues that are only helped by LCing and was put on this diet by my doctor.

As I've said before "even if I never lose another pound I will always eat this way for the rest of my life!!"

Good luck and welcome to MFP
    Anita
  • mebuthalf
    mebuthalf Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    I've been on the Atkins lifestyle for just over a month. I try to stay between 20-40 net carbs. I feel like its been successful for me and plan to always be LC.

Love making lc friends. If you add me please include message why.
  • Dopechick
    Dopechick Posts: 16
    Options
    I started Atkins today, 1st "Induction day" lol. So far so good! I have a friend that lost 40 pounds with the Atkins lifestyle so I am really hoping to have similar success. Good luck to you!
  • EricDe90x
    EricDe90x Posts: 51
    Options
    My dad uses Atkins and doesn't have a problem with it. But he still drinks soda and eats bad food. I tried one of his shakes for the protein and it gave me chest pains all day. It might have been from drinking it too fast though.
  • kate_sunflower
    Options
    3 days in and so far so good.. just hoping to see a loss tomorrow morning on the scale! The only thing is the cost.. I'll have to figure out my budget - being a carnivore is $$$$