Help

Options
:grumble:
Hello everyone, I am new to this site....I need help on what kind of exercises I can do at home. I do not have a machine of any kind. I am unable to join a gym or jazzwercise class. I do walk everyday for about 30 to 45 minutes, but that is just not cutting it....any suggestions?

Replies

• HDMD7705
    HDMD7705 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Hello everyone, I am new to this site....I need help on what kind of exercises I can do at home. I do not have a machine of any kind. I am unable to join a gym or jazzwercise class. I do walk everyday for about 30 to 45 minutes, but that is just not cutting it....any suggestions?
  • Eve23
    Eve23 Posts: 2,352 Member
    Options
    I only walk so I would suggest picking up the pace and walk longer if you can. If you have a friend you can get to come along it helps make the time go faster. Videos are great too.

Good luck you can do this.:bigsmile:
  • kriegerfamily
    Options
    I do a very brisk walk in place for about 15 minutes with weights on my hands. Very low impact. It seems to work well.
  • lilrookiesmom
    Options
    light weight lifting - if you don't have weights then use cans of soup or whatever else.

push ups
    sit ups

I would check some videos out ---- usually local library has for free - then memorize routine (write it down) and do that! I don't mean the high cardio ones or a step one ---- I just mean something like pilates. I do the pilates leg routine 3 times a week and love it.

best wishes
  • jenbar
    jenbar Posts: 1,038 Member
    Options
    Do you have a vcr/dvd or Playstation by any chance?
    I use Leslie Sansone's Walk Away the Pounds dvd, and I also have Dance Dance Revolution for Playstation! It has a workout mode and is really fun!
  • HDMD7705
    HDMD7705 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I do have a play station. I have been wanting to try the dance dance revolution and see if it works...I think I will...thanks for the suggestion

And I think I will get some videos to help me out as well....
    Thanks for everyones help
  • jillholleysmith
    jillholleysmith Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Try Tae Bo. That's one I am able to stick with and it kicks my butt.
  • moonshadow
    Options
    there are excercise programs on t v that I record and play when I am ready to excercise
  • jenbar
    jenbar Posts: 1,038 Member
    Options
    I do have a play station. I have been wanting to try the dance dance revolution and see if it works...I think I will...thanks for the suggestion

And I think I will get some videos to help me out as well....
    Thanks for everyones help

It's what I use for an hour and I can easily burn 400+ calories. I sometimes pick up hand weights and just hold them or do arm exercises while doing it, but sometimes lose track of my feet! Then I have a stretch band and get on the floor and just do whatever comes to me. Some days I'll go for about 80 minutes or so doing that and burn 700 calories!
  • WMayfield
    WMayfield Posts: 19
    Options
    Jump Rope! Get a speed rope (less than $10 at Walmart) and set a timer for 2 minutes. Do 3 sets if you can, if not, just do what you can do. As you get better & faster your cardio goes way up---and it only takes about 10 minutes total.

My karate instructor once told me that if you can work up to jumping rope for 10 minutes each day, you don't have to worry about what you eat!

Exercise videos are great, too! I'd recommend Tae-bo and/or a Kathy Smith weight training video.

Add these to your walks and you'll probably see results.
  • banks1850
    banks1850 Posts: 3,475 Member
    Options

Lots of stuff you can do.

I'll name a few quickies.

- Jump rope (excellent exercise) and great calorie burn for time spent (jump rope costs about $6).
    - Stairs (find a set, try to find atleast 8 or 9 steps) light jog up, light jog down, do this for as long as you can, if this starts too get easy, buy some 3 or 5 lb weights (also great for toneing up your legs and gluts)
    - Squat thrusts good full body workout, do them with hexagonal dumbells for added resistance and weight
    - Planks, marvelous core building exercise.
    - fitness ball, all kinds of exercises you can do with a fitness ball (also called sport ball or a stablizer ball or an agility ball)
    - push ups
    - reverse crunches
    - tricep dips (any 2 sturdy 4 legged chairs will do)
    - you can grab some resistance bands for about $20 and do a whole host of toneing exercises.
    - bicycle kicks
    there are lots more, but that was off the top of my head.
  • Spartan112
    Options
    I'm new to this site but have managed to lose a significant amount of weight in the last year. When I started it was hard to get a really good workout without going to the gym and using the elliptical, etc. My knees couldn't take the pounding of long runs. The key is to get your heart rate up, walking can only do so much and it's hard to maintain an aerobic heart rate while walking. Two suggestions: Intervals. Run for one or two minutes, walk for 5. Do this for the same amount of time you would normally walk. As it gets easier you can increase running time and decrease walking. I can now run for over an hour. Please be sure to stretch! Second I would recommend a good bike. Don't settle for a walmart bike, if you can't afford one from a bik shop try craigslist and look for hybrid/comfort bikes by trek/specialized/giant...reputable brands. If there happens to be an REI in your area they have some good stuff too. You can start with rides around the neighborhood and then start to venture out. Please invest in a helmet. Find something you enjoy doing, and be selfish about your workout time. It is a non-negotiable.
  • skinnydreams
    skinnydreams Posts: 1,178 Member
    Options
    Welcome and best of luck to you!
  • msarro
    msarro Posts: 2,748 Member
    Options
    If you have a playstation I highly reccomend dance dance revolution. If you have a playstation 2 there is a hard-to-find game out there called Yourself! Fitness. Its phenomonal... basically a virtual physical trainer.

If you enjoy going for walks, see if you can find a pair of ankle weights at a local sporting goods store. You'd be amazed how an extra 2-5 pounds on each foot can have an effect!
  • lilrookiesmom
    Options
    you all that are talking about jumping rope ---- how many calories do you really burn in 10 minutes?

I hadn't thought about jumping rope- may try that! something I could do at home for sure!
  • banks1850
    banks1850 Posts: 3,475 Member
    Options
    you all that are talking about jumping rope ---- how many calories do you really burn in 10 minutes?

I hadn't thought about jumping rope- may try that! something I could do at home for sure!

That depends on how vigorously you jump, your body, your metabolism...etc.

I would equate it to a vigorous run or very vigorous eliptical. So in 10 minutes you can probably burn from 100 to 150 calories.
  • motheroftwoboys
    Options
    I don't have a jump rope, but I do all the motions as if I had one and believe it or not for 10 min. it burns 132 calories (and it is free). :laugh:
  • 5KNohno
    5KNohno Posts: 503
    Options
    I asked for a jump rope for Christmas and I love it. Its great for busy schedules, because it is small and you can do it whenever you have a few free minutes.
  • lilrookiesmom
    Options
    Thanks for your help!

so when you say going through the motions but without the rope? Just moving arms around and jumping on toes? and try to do it for 10 minutes straight? with varying speeds?

Thanks! :)
  • motheroftwoboys
    Options
    yes, it is pretty hard. I usually to 100 then, to sit-ups, then 100 more, then some push-ups, and just spread it out. I usually do around 300-400 but I just count it all for jump roping.