Running fatigue

Options
After a workout I'm obviously tired but I do a cool down / stretch, have some form of protein sometimes and am fine. However after running I am wiped! I feel drained of all energy and as if I could take a 3 hour nap. Anything I can do to change this?

Replies

• polz7
    polz7 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    When I started running (not too long ago) I used to push it hard and then pass out on the floor. I would sometimes get sick and my vision would go blurry. I hated it. Then my marathon running boyfriend I told me I was doing it wrong. I was going too fast and tiring myself out. So he made me run slower and I ran further than I ever had before and I actually enjoyed it. I am in no way an expert but I just wanted to share what worked for me. So my advise is run slower and when you think you're going slow, run even slower.
  • cowgirlslikeus86
    cowgirlslikeus86 Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    What distances are you running and what are your times?

Alot of new runners start of too fast.

Are you hydrating while you run?

Do you eat befor,during, or after your runs? and if so, what exactly do you eat?

There are alot of factors that play into fatigue but I would suggest;

1. Slow down

2. Slowly build up your distances

3. Make sure you have something in your system, food wise, that will fuel you during your run

4. Maybe try a protein smoothy instead of just a protein shake. The extra sugars in the fruit might help you recover better.

exercise.png
  • jc0123
    jc0123 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    What distances are you running and what are your times?

Alot of new runners start of too fast.

Are you hydrating while you run?

Do you eat befor,during, or after your runs? and if so, what exactly do you eat?

There are alot of factors that play into fatigue but I would suggest;

1. Slow down

2. Slowly build up your distances

3. Make sure you have something in your system, food wise, that will fuel you during your run

4. Maybe try a protein smoothy instead of just a protein shake. The extra sugars in the fruit might help you recover better.

exercise.png

I run a path that goes around my campus 2x (each loop being 1.9 miles) so just under 4 miles. I usually run a loop in 17-18 minutes so not a terribly fast mile. Thanks for your suggestions I'll try them!
  • cowgirlslikeus86
    cowgirlslikeus86 Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    Maybe try for 10-11 minute mile averages or 20 minutes around the lap. 3.8 miles is pretty far for someone starting out but nice way to tackle it!

exercise.png