ALMONDS

Options
Are almonds considered a good snack when trying to lose weigh? Ive heard a lot of different opinions. Any say?

Replies

• iamfranniefierce
    iamfranniefierce Posts: 305 Member
    Options
    Are almonds considered a good snack when trying to lose weigh? Ive heard a lot of different opinions. Any say?

I think they're gr8...healthy fat and a good source of protein to help keep you satiated. Just be mindful of your portions.
  • hanky1
    hanky1 Posts: 39
    Options
    yep i think they're a great snack. i weigh out a portion and take to work with me. otherwise would end up eating the whole packet! they are definitely good for filling you up, even in small amounts.
  • HauteP1nk
    HauteP1nk Posts: 2,139 Member
    Options
    They are very good for you. They are also apparently good for memory... :)

I don't think you can eat a lot of them though as the calories can be high. I think you can only have a small handful...
  • SaraBunny518
    Options
    Thanks for the advice!
  • AZKristi
    AZKristi Posts: 1,801 Member
    Options
    I eat 1/4 cup just about every weekday for my afternoon snack. They are packed with protein and have healthy fat which fuel me through my evening workout without weighing me down.
  • _Kate_P
    _Kate_P Posts: 132
    Options
    theyre one of my favorite foods! They're very satisfying because of their high fat/calorie content. That being said, you just have to be careful of the portion size! a small handful can be 170cals! take a couple handfuls and you're easily at 400-500
  • kbmnurse
    kbmnurse Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    Yes, good for you. I carry around a portion size with me at all times.
  • annafonte
    annafonte Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I love almonds - I eat them in the morning at work but I buy a small pack and it really stops me from snacking constantly :D

The fat that they carry are essential fatty acids and they are the good fats that are needed for your body but just don't eat loads
  • Picola1984
    Picola1984 Posts: 1,133
    Options
    What are peoples thoughts on the blanched almonds?

Too me the taste is a lot nicer and creamier than the ones with the skin still on
  • gazerofthestars
    gazerofthestars Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    They're a great snack! Eat them in the morning (a handful). The vitamin E in them is also said to help your cells resist sunburn.
  • From what I've read, almonds are one of the best snacks you an have. They're a health source of fat and are good to help get in a few more calories when you need them.

http://www.fatsecret.com/calories-nutrition/food/almonds/carbohydrate
  • farcry66
    farcry66 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I have swapped my two biscuits (cookies) at morning breaktime for 25gs of almonds. Certainly feels more satisfying and keeps me going easily till lunch time. As long as they fit into your cal allowance it's all good!
  • littlelily613
    littlelily613 Posts: 769 Member
    Options
    Yep! I had 1/3 cup of Tamari flavoured dry-roasted, whole almonds today. They were delicious and they took away my hunger pangs. They were 250 cals, and gave me 9 grams of protein and 5 grams of fibre. I would say they are excellent. They is stopping at a handful though, before you eat the entire bag/container because the fat and calories will add up. In moderation though, they are very healthy!
  • thin4good
    Options
    I eat an ounce of raw almonds nearly every day. I carefully measure an ounce and carry them with me when I feel hungry or have the urge to snack. The protein leaves me feeling full and satisfied. It has good fat too. My HDL (good cholesterol) levels are high, while the LDL(bad) remain low.
  • knightreader
    knightreader Posts: 813 Member
    Options
    of all the diet and health advice i have read over all the years, almonds have been a constant in almost every article. i eat 15 a day and never miss. i've had doctor after doctor give me advice on various health concerns in different areas, and all of them have mentioned raw almonds. you have to be disciplined tho, it is easy to grab handful after handful, and those calories will add up quickly.
  • runningdiva77
    Options
    i used to snack on the natural almonds, but they take up alot of my calories on my daily allowence. :(
  • cathylord
    cathylord Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    I enjoy 1/4 cup of raw almonds daily and have been losing one pound a week consistantly. they are very healthy and satisfying.
  • lin7604
    lin7604 Posts: 3,019 Member
    Options
    how many almonds do you get in a 1/3 - 1/4 cup? calorie wise... i just got into the almond mode lately and i do have a hard time stopping my self, so i will have to measure them out. just not sure how many is how many calories...... how many should i put in a bag at a time?
  • mpbfmom
    mpbfmom Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    10 natural almonds = 50 calories.

I typically eat 10 almonds and an apple about an hour before I exercise and it holds me through 90 minutes of exercise. Great snack & excellent for you.
  • TrishJimenez
    TrishJimenez Posts: 561 Member
    Options
    most of the time I have found 24 almonds is 1/4 a cup ie a serving. That is what I count out for me as a portion. And I have found it to be one of the most satisfying snacks available. a serving of almonds and a banana can get me thru a busy 4 hour shift on my feet at work