Less reps more weight or less weight more reps?

Options
I am so confused, which way is it supposed to be?

Replies

• sma83
    sma83 Posts: 485 Member
    Options
    Bump....I wanna know too!
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,695 Member
    Options
    As much weight as you can handle for 5-8 reps to "condition" the muscle with good form. Muscle has to be challenged from overload to make it firmer. High reps build muscle endurance and doesn't raise RMR the same way. Higher RMR means higher metabolism, which means more fat burned at rest.

A.C.E. Certified Personal Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • hesgro2
    hesgro2 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    As much weight as you can handle for 5-8 reps to "condition" the muscle with good form. Muscle has to be challenged from overload to make it firmer. High reps build muscle endurance and doesn't raise RMR the same way. Higher RMR means higher metabolism, which means more fat burned at rest.

IDEA Fitness member

How many sets do you recommend at the max weight?
  • RachelsReboot
    RachelsReboot Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    Thank you, I will be changing things up a bit tomorrow then! How does one go about deciding how much weight?

Would I just start with what I have now and add to it until it's difficult but doable? I use a cable machine like this one http://www.homegymadviser.com/marcy-single-stack-home-gym.html
  • ninerbuff
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

How many sets do you recommend at the max weight?
    3-4 for most exercises.

IDEA Fitness member
  • aippolito1
    aippolito1 Posts: 4,894 Member
    Options
    less reps, more weight builds MUSCLE. less weight, more reps builds ENDURANCE. depends on your goals.
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    Thank you, I will be changing things up a bit tomorrow then! How does one go about deciding how much weight?

Would I just start with what I have now and add to it until it's difficult but doable? I use a cable machine like this one http://www.homegymadviser.com/marcy-single-stack-home-gym.html
    Experiment. If you can do a set of any exercise for 8 reps rather easy, then increase the weight slightly (1lb to 5lbs) till the last 2 reps of any set are difficult. If you're doing 8 reps, then reps 7 and 8 should be pretty hard. You'll know when you make the "ugly face" in the mirror while doing them.

IDEA Fitness member
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    less reps, more weight builds MUSCLE. less weight, more reps builds ENDURANCE. depends on your goals.
    Unless you're in calorie deficit. It's practically impossible to build muscle in calorie deficit with the exception of a few types of individuals.

IDEA Fitness member
  • DawnMarieMomofTwo
    DawnMarieMomofTwo Posts: 186 Member
    Options

this :) less reps more weight builds big muscles less weight more reps tones.. just wanted the doctors today and they were talking about this!
  • 100lb
    100lb Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    Unless you're in calorie deficit. It's practically impossible to build muscle in calorie deficit with the exception of a few types of individuals.

IDEA Fitness member

Does that mean that at some point out might mean changing to maintaining calorie diet?
  • ninerbuff
    Options

this :) less reps more weight builds big muscles less weight more reps tones.. just wanted the doctors today and they were talking about this!
    No such thing as toned/toning/ tones etc. Muscle is either conditioned or not and high reps/low weights conditions muscle for endurance work and doesn't necessarily "firm it up" the way low reps with heavier weights does.
    Myths like this are still circulating and need to be corrected so that people don't keep getting misinformed.

IDEA Fitness member
  • ninerbuff
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

Does that mean that at some point out might mean changing to maintaining calorie diet?
    To build muscle you are adding weight. To add weight you need to be in surplus. That's why it's practically impossible to lose weight and build muscle at the same time. There are 3 exceptions to this and they are:

An athlete returning to lifting after an extended layoff
    An obese/overweight person using heavy lifting in their weight loss program
    A newbie who has never lifted weights before

And even then, then muscle gain will be minor.

Most people just want to reveal the muscle they already have and that comes through calorie deficit and heavy lifting to retain what muscle they have already.

IDEA Fitness member
  • RachelsReboot
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

To build muscle you are adding weight. To add weight you need to be in surplus. That's why it's practically impossible to lose weight and build muscle at the same time. There are 3 exceptions to this and they are:

Most people just want to reveal the muscle they already have and that comes through calorie deficit and heavy lifting to retain what muscle they have already.

IDEA Fitness member

Hmmm, I want to build muscle because my upper body is very weak, I have a lot more strength in my legs (I guess from carrying around 385lbs all those years) but I will almost always be in calorie deficit because of my disorder. Even if I got to the bottom of my target range then I still wouldn't be able to get my calories up that high. Do you think this is going to cause me a problem?

I will ask my doctors too but not sure they are going to be much help except to just monitor me
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    Hmmm, I want to build muscle because my upper body is very weak, I have a lot more strength in my legs (I guess from carrying around 385lbs all those years) but I will almost always be in calorie deficit because of my disorder. Even if I got to the bottom of my target range then I still wouldn't be able to get my calories up that high. Do you think this is going to cause me a problem?

I will ask my doctors too but not sure they are going to be much help except to just monitor me
    You can increase strength on calorie deficit. I do this with clients on weight loss programs all the time with progressive weight training. Many times they are really unaware of how strong they really are.
    For instance a female who is in pretty good condition never lifted dumbells over 22.5lbs for anything. The other day I trained with her I had her hoisting 35lbs dumbells for bench press. She was shocked at how strong she really was. Now granted not every scenario is that way. I currently have a female client who can't curl more than 10lbs dumbells, but previously she was only using 5lbs dumbells for the same reps. So don't be discouraged thinking that you can't increase strength without adding muscle to do it.
    Try to rely on freeweights to do this so that you can have synergist muscles activate to help you increase your overall strength.

IDEA Fitness member
  • RachelsReboot
    Options
    Thanks, I appreciate your input!
  • 100lb
    Options

IDEA Fitness member

My legs are good, now pushing 4 sets of 20 reps at 980lb (building up to the half ton lol) but my upper body isn't. Since I've been on calorie deficit my upper body has weakened (probably as I've concentrated on cardio) and I now seem to do a good 10-20lb less than a year ago (though my muscle-fast ratio is far different).
    At some point I will need to start building upper body up, but can I do this before I stop the deficit or maybe some way whilst still losing my final pounds?
  • 100lb
    Options

My legs are good, now pushing 4 sets of 20 reps at 980lb (building up to the half ton lol) but my upper body isn't. Since I've been on calorie deficit my upper body has weakened (probably as I've concentrated on cardio)
    Should say 780lb (was typing on my mobile, lol). Still, almost 4 times my middleweight :-)
  • ford8709
    ford8709 Posts: 140
    Options
    Bump
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    My legs are good, now pushing 4 sets of 20 reps at 980lb (building up to the half ton lol) but my upper body isn't. Since I've been on calorie deficit my upper body has weakened (probably as I've concentrated on cardio) and I now seem to do a good 10-20lb less than a year ago (though my muscle-fast ratio is far different).
    At some point I will need to start building upper body up, but can I do this before I stop the deficit or maybe some way whilst still losing my final pounds?
    Start now. What reason is there to delay it?

IDEA Fitness member
  • AirCircleI
    AirCircleI Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the info here!