Wanted: Anti-Binging Buddy!!! :D

Options
Okay. As far as my diet & exercise goes, I am REALLY happy with how I eat!

BUT 1-2 times a week I run into some stupid binge that undoes all the other good days of the week. I hardly lose weight. Sometimes I gain weight instead.

I thought it would be helpful to find someone to help me hold myself accountable - and I could do the same for someone else who is struggling, in return.

I want this to be something that we communicate about EVERY day! At the end of every single day, let us come online and be able to tell each other that we did not BINGE! I honestly feel like that would help me be more conscious about it.

It would also be the goal for us to say that we staid within our caloric range.

That's pretty much it. A checking-in buddy. My only absolute need is to be able to depend on you to check in once a day. It only needs to be one message, anytime in the evening, and we can chat more if we so wish. So if you're interested, hopefully you are in a remotely similar time zone as myself (I live on the west coast of the US. Please be within 3 hours.)

If a few of you are interested, we can make a group, so long as everyone is serious about checking in. I have such a hard time controlling these binges, I'm running out of ideas. =\

Replies

• pattan59801
    pattan59801 Posts: 142
    Options
    I'm in!!
  • ParisArkw
    ParisArkw Posts: 186
    Options
    I'm taking off for the night, but will check back here later!
  • kelbelzz
    kelbelzz Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    I will! (:
  • MissAlyGator
    Options
    I can't promise I will always be able to chat (work, school etc.) but I am certianly interested in this and could really use the encouragment! It is something I struggle with. Feel free to add me. :)
  • JayBear13
    JayBear13 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    just add and message me eveynight and i'll do the same
  • ParisArkw
    ParisArkw Posts: 186
    Options
    Hey! I'm happy to see people that are interested! I will check in with everyone, and everyone can check in with me. =) I have to go now, but I will add you all as friends when I get back!
  • mission_possible
    Options
    I totally do the same thing! I would love to have someone that I could text, even. It's easy for me to ignore the internet when I've gone overboard or feel like I want to give up but if my phone is going off I can't ignore it! Would be like an AA sponsor for food hehe.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,709 Member
    Options
    Okay. As far as my diet & exercise goes, I am REALLY happy with how I eat!
    So if you're happy with how you eat, then why the binging? Binging happens when people WANT more then they aren't getting in most cases.

A.C.E. Certified Personal Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • aquasw16
    aquasw16 Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    NOT TRUE. Your posts aggrivate me most of the time because you assume everyone is all alike.
  • Nikki206
    Nikki206 Posts: 69
    Options
    I'm in! I found out this weekend that I can't even cheat a little because I go out of control so I'm back to finding healthy alternatives and pre portioned items so I can't binge on junk... :ohwell:

Anyways I'm in Ohio so our time zones will be different but I'm willing to help whoever! So feel free to add me! :happy:
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    NOT TRUE. Your posts aggrivate me most of the time because you assume everyone is all alike.
    Assuming you're speaking to me, please define what binging is. Then tell me why some who is "happy" with the way they are eating is experiencing episodes of it?

IDEA Fitness member
  • aquasw16
    aquasw16 Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    People May binge eat because they are pissed at their boyfriend, or sad because their mother died. It doesnt mean it is because they are UNHAPPY with what they have been eating.
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    People May binge eat because they are pissed at their boyfriend, or sad because their mother died. It doesnt mean it is because they are UNHAPPY with what they have been eating.
    So then why not binge on vegetables? People will binge on foods that they DON'T normally have on a daily basis. That's why it's called binging.

IDEA Fitness member
  • Cdn_Dot
    Cdn_Dot Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    "So if you're happy with how you eat, then why the binging? Binging happens when people WANT more then they aren't getting in most cases. "
    @ ninerbuff -- Good point
    Yes I agree with "binging happens when people want more than they are getting", but it's not necessarily food that they aren't getting enough of. Emotional issues pay a part in that too. We have to remember that we are ultimately responsible for what we receive from ourselves and from others. And that we are responsible for our own happiness in life.

"So then why not binge on vegetables? People will binge on foods that they DON'T normally have on a daily basis. That's why it's called binging."
    Another good point. If a binge happened on veggies, it would still be a binge, but most people aren't trying to control their veggie intake. Although binging on veg would be infinitely healthier. It's a crazy cycle, you try to limit certain foods only to want them more especially in times when you feel things are out of control.
  • EricDe90x
    EricDe90x Posts: 51
    Options
    If you have room for more, I'll do it! But I'm in the east coast of the US.
    If you want, I can take those from the east coast to check in on and they can check in on me.Or we can create an anti-binge group and select partners.
  • virgogirl916
    virgogirl916 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I too have binging episodes. I just added you. I live in FL, though different time zone.
  • strawberrie_milk
    strawberrie_milk Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    In! I'll add you. I also usually will binge 1-2 times per week while the other days are perfect. I'm hoping to stop this.
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    @ ninerbuff -- Good point
    Yes I agree with "binging happens when people want more than they are getting", but it's not necessarily food that they aren't getting enough of. Emotional issues pay a part in that too. We have to remember that we are ultimately responsible for what we receive from ourselves and from others. And that we are responsible for our own happiness in life.
    I understand emotional eating and get it, but the OP had mentioned binging based on going out with friends and other events. Binging is either a "planned event" or "unplanned event". One that's planned probably has a back up plan to counter, the other is usually one that makes them feel "guilty" later for doing it. I would think that if someone was happy with the food they binged on, they wouldn't feel bad about it later. Binge foods are usually foods that are high calorie, high fat, high sugar, etc. and aren't part of person's standard day to day eating. This is usually why the guilty feeling later.
    Another good point. If a binge happened on veggies, it would still be a binge, but most people aren't trying to control their veggie intake. Although binging on veg would be infinitely healthier. It's a crazy cycle, you try to limit certain foods only to want them more especially in times when you feel things are out of control.
    One thing is for sure: people won't binge on something they don't want to eat. They binge on foods they really want to eat and don't have control over. In my experience, binging happens because the food that is chosen is food that is very restricted or has been omitted in the person's current dieting regimen and they cave in for it because they really really want it.

Like anything else, if something is part of your life on a daily basis, you'll tend not to miss it. You miss it when you don't get to be around it or have it except on occasion.

IDEA Fitness member
  • Cdn_Dot
    Cdn_Dot Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    @ ninerbuff -- great points and I do feel that you get it!
    I have lots of work on myself to do and eventually it will all come around. Accepting and talking about my feelings will make all the difference for me. I still journal my downfalls and keeping the journal is helping me see patterns.
    (ON the bright side, I did exercise for 2 days in a row and am putting stickers on my calendar! )
    And you are right about the restricting thing, if I tell myself I can't then I WANT. When I was preggo with our girl (2005), I kept seeing all those new smirnoff vodka cooler adds and wanted to rip that Yuri guy limb from limb. Moderation is the key for me.
    You seem very centred but that isn't a surprise considering your experience!
  • jessie1480
    jessie1480 Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    First things first, I'm in add me if you would like. I have a few friends. On here and they are all supper supportive. I always like to add more. I'm on my phone app quite a bit ( I might have a small addiction) I have a cheat day one a week, it's good for me.hope that I can help.

Now on to that whole if you're happy with your diet food you wouldn't binge conversation. If we ate healthy allthe time mostof us wouldn't be.counting calories. Fact is most peoples favorite things are not exactly good for you. I whole heartedly admit I love a good burger made with real beef and a side of French fries. Once in a while I will totally binge on one. It's not the easiest thing in the world to eat a salad at a restuant and look across the table and watch your friend have a juicy Berger and not have one. I totally get it. It dosent make someone bad or less than to splurge once in a while.