Concrete running more painful?

Options
Since it was winter I mostly ran on the treadmill. But now that's it's starting to warm up I'm running outside. I've been running outside for about 2.5 weeks (average 3.5 to 4.5 miles per run). But the problem I'm having is running on concrete is way more painful then running on the treadmill. Normally it's my right knee and hip that hurt the most but I noticed the last two times my toes hurt too. Any tips?
My husband is a Orthotic Practitioner so I already have custom inserts in my shoes and I picked up a knee brace today but I thought I'd ask if there are any other tips I could try to ease the pain?

Replies

• lewandt
    lewandt Posts: 566
    Options
    I am a fairly new runner so i really don't have any tips. I have noticed the difference in running outside compared to the treadmill too but what helped me the most was buying a good pair of running shoes. Since i have not experienced any pain.
  • Mizzou91
    Mizzou91 Posts: 249
    Options
    I would agree that your shoes have a great deal to do with it. The concrete doesn't feel any different to me than the treadmill, although there is obviously more give on the treadmill. If your toes hurt, try getting your shoes a half size bigger. Your feet swell when you run so it's easy for them to feel tight on a longer run. I'd suggest going and getting fit at a running store. Good luck!!
  • mumof5
    mumof5 Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    my trainer had me wein into running on a harder surface, it is really hard on your knees and your calf muscles, dont want in injury. You could try short runs once, then twice a week, finishing off on the treadmill. gradually introduce the hard surface to you body.
  • leadoff
    leadoff Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    I would agree that your shoes have a great deal to do with it. The concrete doesn't feel any different to me than the treadmill, although there is obviously more give on the treadmill. If your toes hurt, try getting your shoes a half size bigger. Your feet swell when you run so it's easy for them to feel tight on a longer run. I'd suggest going and getting fit at a running store. Good luck!!

Good advice here. I always go 1/2 size up on my running shoes.

Personally, I prefer the concrete to the treadmill. The treadmill really seems to give me a good jar, and my back pays the price the following day.

I had a similar pain in my right knee and upper buttocks while playing ball in college. The team trainer told me to get better arch supports and that I was on my way to developing shin splints, which I did. BTW...shin splints are very painful!!!

I always look for good arch supports now while purchasing running kicks. Nike Lunarflys seem to be the perfect fit for me.
  • lucky_74
    lucky_74 Posts: 30
    Options
    Running on concrete is hard on your body! I don't know what the roads and side walks are made of where you live but in Vancouver, BC., the roads are made of asphalt and this is a lot on your body. So if this is the same where you live, try running on the road and not the side walk.

Do you have trails near by? Mix in trail runs when you can as well. Trail runs feel easier but are actually a harder run since the ground absorbs your impact and you aren't as springy. Someone at a a running group told me it was 30% harder to run on trails.
  • lucky_74
    lucky_74 Posts: 30
    Options
    And about the toes - go up half a size just like the leadoff said. I lost my big toe from having shoes that were too small. Your feet can swell a full size when you run.
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    I run outside, but I never run on concrete - it's the worst possible surface I can imagine! Talk about wear and tear! I stick to treadmill for short runs (because long runs are too boring on tread) and dirt trails for long runs.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,692 Member
    Options
    Pounds per sq. inch of impact is MUCH higher on concrete than a "springy" treadmill. I believe it's 2/1 when you compare the two.

A.C.E. Certified Personal Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • namenumber
    namenumber Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    If you're able to, you could try running on the grass right next to the sidewalk. Just look out for dog poop.
  • joshalapp
    joshalapp Posts: 12
    Options
    And about the toes - go up half a size just like the leadoff said. I lost my big toe from having shoes that were too small. Your feet can swell a full size when you run.

Lol...you might want to fix your post hon. She lost her big toe NAIL. Not the toe. That would be really bad.
  • fleurina
    fleurina Posts: 6
    Options
    Sally, concrete running has been a lot more painful for me as well. My shins have really been hurting as well as my toes. And, I have the right size shoes (half a size larger, fit at a running store, plus I've been running since I was in high school, haha!) Anyway... I have just been taking it a bit easier and trying to ease into longer runs. I took three days off over the weekend and today my run felt amazing... I don't really have any tips for you, I guess, just that you're not alone in experiencing more pain on concrete. Also, I wear a HRM and I burn usually at least 100 more calories outside going about the same distance as I would on a treadmill and about the same pace... so it's harder. I run in a very flat neighborhood...

I don't know exactly where you live, but can you run around a lake? They usually have dirt paths carved in along the sidewalk. Sometimes I run on the chain of lakes (in mpls) and the trail running helps on days I am sore.