What I thought would just be another failed attempt...

Options
I'm already a month into my "lose the weight, get healthier plan". I've had so many of these "plans" and every single time I've only lasted about a week before giving up. I couldn't even begin to count how many times this has happened to me.

I recently got another one of these urges to lose the weight about a month ago, and I of course doubted myself. I doubted that I would continue after a week, and that it would be just another failed attempt. One of many.

Well, I am already a month in and I don't see myself giving up anytime soon. I am shocked that I've made it this far. I have succeeded. I've filled my fridge with healthy options and have incorporated the gym into my daily schedule. I go to the gym about 4-5 days a week; I don't dread it, I look forward to it. I haven't had a bite of fast food or a sip of any sugary beverages in over a month. I feel as if everything I've been doing is a part of my new healthy LIFESTYLE. This website is exactly what I've been looking for all along. I don't think this is another one of "those times". I can't imagine ever going back to the way I was before and I don't think I ever will.

I know there are other people reading this that have gone through the same exact thing. Many failed attempts. Don't give up! Don't let yourself fall back again.. Please...you will just look back and regret that you didn't do it sooner.

Replies

• MostlyHealthyMomma
    MostlyHealthyMomma Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    That's exactly how I feel! I started 3 weeks ago and I just knew that this was my wake up call. The more healthy I become and the more active I get- the more I want to do it again and see results!
  • QuixoticPanda
    QuixoticPanda Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    It was a wake up call for me as well! I now count everything I eat. I looked back at the things I use to eat, and OH BOY. I went to a friend's house and was tempted to have a large chocolate chip cookie, oh man it looked so goooood. I checked out the nutritional value just to see what I was getting myself into. 450 calories per cookie? NO THANK YOU! I don't deserve it that much! The old me would have carelessly plowed through 5 of those bad boys.
  • QuixoticPanda
    Options
    Everyone that feels the same way, add me if you want. :D We can make sure we don't give up.
  • Robin_Bin
    Robin_Bin Posts: 1,046 Member
    Options
    We all "stumble" occasionally, but it's great that you've made it a month! (I've just made a week.)
  • QuixoticPanda
    Options
    Thanks! :D
    I think getting over the one month hump is very beneficial to sticking to it!
  • Queen2day
    Queen2day Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I have heard that it takes 2 weeks to make a new habit, so a month in is definitely a very good thing!!!!

Feel free to add me if you wish.
  • isys5
    isys5 Posts: 213
    Options
    good job :) They say it takes 21 days to form a habit and if you make it past that it just gets to be part of your lifestyle so you are on your way :)
  • QuixoticPanda
    Options
    Yay! Good to hear! :D
    It has definitely helped that I keep track of everything!
  • bchmura
    bchmura Posts: 18
    Options
    AWESOME!!
    450 calories per cookie? NO THANK YOU! I don't deserve it that much!

Looking up things has been my biggest motivator to stay on healthy options. Next to that is comparing that one little cookie to the amount of healthy food I could eat instead.

Anyway, the quoted comment above reminded me of something a friend had posted which apparently has made the rounds unnoticed by me in the past:

"Don't reward yourself with food, you are not a dog."

It's great advice. A chocolate cookie has a negative value to your health and well being - not only are they wasted calories, there is no nutritional value, and you will end up with a lot of refined sugars and flours. It will actually cause you damage, so why reward yourself with something like that. You definitely DONT deserve that - not after a month of hard work!

Yeah, I sound like a nutcase, but I've done a lot of reading on how food reacts with your body and creates cravings. You should reward yourself with something for sticking with it so far and resisting those cookies - just make it be something good for you and with luck not food!

Stick with it and keep eating healthier and learning about healthy eating - you will be amazed a year from now how your view on food has changed, and you will be nut just like me. I've really started trying to view food as fuel for my body. Less focus on taste and cravings and more on what it needs. Looking at what I knew a year ago and how I ate then is amazing to me now...

You are doing great! They say it takes 21 days to make a habit, so you are past that... If you ever do fall off the wagon one meal, just get back on as soon as you can. Happens to everyone.
  • lynn7298
    lynn7298 Posts: 18
    Options
    I know that habit a little too well...I cannot even count the times I have been on WW, Jenny, Nutrisystem, etc. So I found this awesome site and hopefully this time I will stick with it. Good luck to all and feel free to add me! :)
  • QuixoticPanda
    Options
    Stick with it and keep eating healthier and learning about healthy eating - you will be amazed a year from now how your view on food has changed, and you will be nut just like me. I've really started trying to view food as fuel for my body. Less focus on taste and cravings and more on what it needs.
    Great post!
    I completely agree with this! I feel the same exact way. I no longer live to eat, I eat to live.
  • bethhyg
    bethhyg Posts: 209
    Options
    Congratulations on your one month anniversary. You can do this.
  • PunkyRachel
    PunkyRachel Posts: 1,959 Member
    Options
    amen! I've yo-yoed for years. I don't think I've lost very much, weight wise, but I've lost inches. 14 pounds and 2 pant sizes in 3 months. I never thought that could be me. I got comfortable and then my friend wanted me to be her exercise partner, and I'm so glad I did. Yes! you can do it, keep busy and eat right.
  • autumnk921
    autumnk921 Posts: 1,376 Member
    Options
    Now that you have found this site you will never regret it....Believe me it is addictive...lol...I can't imagine not logging my calories & exercise daily on here....The people on here are awesome & they truly want to help one another to live healthier...I sent you a request... :) Welcome to MFP!! :)

16043484.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • QuixoticPanda
    Options
    Now that you have found this site you will never regret it....Believe me it is addictive...lol...I can't imagine not logging my calories & exercise daily on here.

So true! It does feel like an addiction. I need to log my calories or else I will hyperventilate and start to have withdrawals! lol
  • anniemjay
    anniemjay Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I feel the same way about this website. I was jogging in the morning and thought I was eating right, but wasn't getting anywhere with weight loss. I figured out that if I don't log what I eat, I'm not paying attention to how much of everything Im eating. I used to do a lot of mindless eating: a whole bowl of popcorn while watching a movie, another glass of wine with dinner, handfuls of cereal out of the box. What was I doing? I suddenly became aware that I was not paying any attention to portions, I love this website, it is a good addiction, I was out for St. Patty;s day tonight and stopped at 2 drinks and had a glass of water in between. I feel like I have some control. I feel good! Once you start eating right and seeing results, there is so much incentive to continue.
  • StatHaldol
    StatHaldol Posts: 414 Member
    Options
    Now that you have found this site you will never regret it....Believe me it is addictive...lol...I can't imagine not logging my calories & exercise daily on here....The people on here are awesome & they truly want to help one another to live healthier...I sent you a request... :) Welcome to MFP!! :)

16043484.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

I feel that way too after a month. Everyone's been super helpful!
  • letmebeda1_wechange
    letmebeda1_wechange Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    Ladies I was also in your same boat, would do it for a lil bit and give up. but not this time,this time i'm determined to win the prize. 3 months in my new lifestyle of healthier living for me. I feel much better, way better. I want to encourage you, you can do this. believe in yourself and never ever give up on you. I use to binge when i was troubled, stressed or upset, now i go and workout and sweat it out. do i have some days i just don't make it yes, but it's getting to be fewer days. wishing you all much success, change your mind set from i'll try or i think i can. To i'm going to do this, I know I can do this and I will do this. You know why? because you were made to succeed. ♥♥♥
  • renkath
    renkath Posts: 91 Member
    Options

Anyway, the quoted comment above reminded me of something a friend had posted which apparently has made the rounds unnoticed by me in the past:

"Don't reward yourself with food, you are not a dog."

Oh, yes! If I had seen this before, it didn't stick. Thank you for this! (Although my next reward it is a pedicure. ;
  • tanga_gurl
    tanga_gurl Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I also thought the same way, and I think im into week 3.. or 4.. I should really go check, but its going by so fast and im so proud of myself for actually sticking it out, I usually only last a couple days then give up, but not this time im so determined all the before and after pics are motivating me and im totally addicted to this place!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!