Underactive thyroid story

Options
Seven years ago my husband had thyroid cancer, one of his thyroid glands had grown to the size of a new borns babys head and was cutting off 60% of his airway. He did not have a properly working thryoid probably the whole time I'd know him, 16 years. He had surgery and went on Thyroxine. Since then the change in him and his energy levels has been incredible. I used to get fed up with my husband because of his low energy levels he always went to bed early and didn't want to go out late but I thought that was because he worked very hard but I now realise it was because of his under active thyroid.

Since then my husband also had his other thyroid gland removed two years ago and had radium, just to make sure. He also, last week went off his thyroxine medicine for 20 days so he could have a scan done on his neck to see if any cancer cells remain, thankfully it was all clear.

My husband has NEVER been overweight! He also works 28 day shifts (6 to 6) within the construction industry, quite often living in construction camps away from home.

Replies

• suziecue66
    suziecue66 Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    Nice story. Some people do gain weight with a low thyroid.
  • Tisha247
    Tisha247 Posts: 849 Member
    Options
    Yes thanks for your condolences on my husband having cancer, this isn't just a story by the way. It has been an emotional mine field of my life and of my two young children.

This wasn't about some people as you put it but my experience.
  • tassles
    tassles Posts: 172
    Options
    Oh Letitia, what a difficult road you and your family have had to travel on. Hopefully the road leads to a much healthier life for hubby physically and for you emotionally !

My mother had her thyroid taken out 19 years ago as it was growing larger too. Thankfully it wasnt cancerous. She is also on thyroxine and is doing great without her thyroids only problem is occasionally she needs the meds altered due to sore legs at night . Weird. But apart from that all is good.

Praying that your hubby will stay cancer free for ever x x
  • suziecue66
    Options
    Yes thanks for your condolences on my husband having cancer, this isn't just a story by the way. It has been an emotional mine field of my life and of my two young children.

You titled it under active thyroid STORY. What was the point of posting it - I thought it was to say that under active or no thyroid is no excuse to gain weight.
  • shakybabe
    shakybabe Posts: 1,578 Member
    Options
    I was a bit confused, people usually have their thyroids removed cos they are over active and also cancer in itself can cause weight loss.

If your husband is able to be active and still work and the meds are working for him then it will be easier for him to keep the weight off.

.. I was born with my thyroid not working, was very chubby as baby with very floppy muscles.. couldn't even sit up unsupported at 23 months old which is when they found it.. once I was on medication and was a mobile toddler I lost my weight too, I stayed mid weight range through teens and twenties once reaching adult size.

In 2002 my thyroid started making 'reverse T3' I was exhausted, tested for chronic fatigue, laid under duvets in August shivering whilst others were parading around in 80 degrees outside in bikini's and shorts!.. I started having mobility problems.. couldn't keep my balance.. took 18 months to go from been a fit and active adult who walked or biked everywhere to full time wheelchair user and went up to 16st!

I was eventually diagnosed with a rare neurological condition triggered by thyroid going wrong... I did manage to get the weight off (down to 11st 7 originally) once I had the energy to move!.. it went back up a stone again due to meds (not thyroid meds) .. came off them and spent the last year trying to get back into healthy range.

I'm glad you're husband didn't suffer weight problems but many with under active thyroids do through no fault of their own, personally I think its the progression of my condition that has helped my weight loss along, quicker than it might have gone otherwise.. I'm thinking maintaining is going to be more of a struggle than I predicted as I now have more involuntary muscle movement than before.. which maybe why I've developed muscle despite not been able to weight lift at all and eating a deficit since last June, but my muscles are constantly relaxing and contracting cos of the dystonia in them. (my arms and legs have never been fat, all my weight was around my middle).

I think medical conditions can affect the basic calories in/calories out theory and its not always that simple and not a sign that someone isn't trying just cos they are struggling alot more with their weight.
  • Tisha247
    Options

You titled it under active thyroid STORY. What was the point of posting it - I thought it was to say that under active or no thyroid is no excuse to gain weight.

You made it sound fictional! Your right I shouldn't have bothered posting this, I apologise for wasting your time. I forgot mfp is a place to debate! I thought I'd share my story about the primary organ of metabolism on a weight loss and health website. My husband was suffering from hypothyroidism for most of his life before his thyroid glands were removed. As for other peoples story that is not my business.
  • PrancersMother
    Options
    I will share my story. I just started using this program and thought I would chime in. I had thyroid cancer two years ago. I had RAI 131 (radiation pill) after having my thyroid removed in two surgeries. I gained tons of weight from the sickness and swelling. I was hypo for most of two years due to getting medicine adjusted and having body scans. I was very ill. I gained weight, lost alot of muscle tone and was a mess. I decided that I was tired of being sick and tired last October. I have been exercising and dieting since October 1st and am proud to have lost 45 pounds as of today. (Only lost a pound since yesterday when I joined this site though). I saw my endo dr two weeks ago and he was so happy for me. He told me that only 2% of patients with thyroid problems ever lose weight. I don't know if that is true just in his own practice or within the whole thyroid cancer community. I am writing to help anyone who happens on this thread who has had thyroid cancer or thyroid problems. It is very hard but it can be done. If you have had thyroid cancer and want to be weight loss friends I would love that. We will bring a positive light to this!!! If you have had a different experience and not gained weight with no/low thyroid that is wonderful but that is not the general experience according to my endo dr and my oncologist. Thanks for letting me share my story.
  • shakybabe
    shakybabe Posts: 1,578 Member
    Options
    I will share my story. I just started using this program and thought I would chime in. I had thyroid cancer two years ago. I had RAI 131 (radiation pill) after having my thyroid removed in two surgeries. I gained tons of weight from the sickness and swelling. I was hypo for most of two years due to getting medicine adjusted and having body scans. I was very ill. I gained weight, lost alot of muscle tone and was a mess. I decided that I was tired of being sick and tired last October. I have been exercising and dieting since October 1st and am proud to have lost 45 pounds as of today. (Only lost a pound since yesterday when I joined this site though). I saw my endo dr two weeks ago and he was so happy for me. He told me that only 2% of patients with thyroid problems ever lose weight. I don't know if that is true just in his own practice or within the whole thyroid cancer community. I am writing to help anyone who happens on this thread who has had thyroid cancer or thyroid problems. It is very hard but it can be done. If you have had thyroid cancer and want to be weight loss friends I would love that. We will bring a positive light to this!!! If you have had a different experience and not gained weight with no/low thyroid that is wonderful but that is not the general experience according to my endo dr and my oncologist. Thanks for letting me share my story.

congrats on the 45lbs lost!... I'm heading for 42lbs and now only 3lbs off my goal, hoping to make it by the end of April! ... that will be 2 months earlier than my goal date which was for June. I'm only losing a few pounds a month at the minute and have peri-menopause to contend with on top of everything else, I just hope i can keep it all off throughout the menopause as its taken me so long to get it off!
  • Tisha247
    Options
    I was a bit confused, people usually have their thyroids removed cos they are over active and also cancer in itself can cause weight loss.

If your husband is able to be active and still work and the meds are working for him then it will be easier for him to keep the weight off.

.. I was born with my thyroid not working, was very chubby as baby with very floppy muscles.. couldn't even sit up unsupported at 23 months old which is when they found it.. once I was on medication and was a mobile toddler I lost my weight too, I stayed mid weight range through teens and twenties once reaching adult size.

In 2002 my thyroid started making 'reverse T3' I was exhausted, tested for chronic fatigue, laid under duvets in August shivering whilst others were parading around in 80 degrees outside in bikini's and shorts!.. I started having mobility problems.. couldn't keep my balance.. took 18 months to go from been a fit and active adult who walked or biked everywhere to full time wheelchair user and went up to 16st!

I was eventually diagnosed with a rare neurological condition triggered by thyroid going wrong... I did manage to get the weight off (down to 11st 7 originally) once I had the energy to move!.. it went back up a stone again due to meds (not thyroid meds) .. came off them and spent the last year trying to get back into healthy range.

I'm glad you're husband didn't suffer weight problems but many with under active thyroids do through no fault of their own, personally I think its the progression of my condition that has helped my weight loss along, quicker than it might have gone otherwise.. I'm thinking maintaining is going to be more of a struggle than I predicted as I now have more involuntary muscle movement than before.. which maybe why I've developed muscle despite not been able to weight lift at all and eating a deficit since last June, but my muscles are constantly relaxing and contracting cos of the dystonia in them. (my arms and legs have never been fat, all my weight was around my middle).

I think medical conditions can affect the basic calories in/calories out theory and its not always that simple and not a sign that someone isn't trying just cos they are struggling alot more with their weight.

I'm sorry are you also doubting my story? Why would you be confused? Thyroid cancer is very common. Here are some stats for you; Thyroid Cancer is three times more common in women than in men, the overall relative 5-year survival rate for thyroid cancer is 85% for females and 74% for males.

You also didn't read what I wrote, my husband has NEVER been over-weight, either before the cancer removal or after. He does not have an active job either. Thyroxine medication now keeps my husbane alive without it he would lapse into a coma and die.

I wrote about my personel experience to help and encourage others. I've read a lot of posts about hypothyroidism, about people becoming over weight and all the other struggles associated with it. I think it's a terrible affliction and I wouldn't wish it apon any one, I mean my god my own experience with it has been terrible. When my husband was first diagnosed with cancer our youngest baby was nine months old and our eldest fourteen months about that. I thought I'd help and put forward my example. You can have hypothyroidism and not be over weight, it can happen. Lots of people have this affliction.

I find your post most disgusting to be honest, first of all you doubt my experience and then go on to tell your own. I think you should get your own post and educate yourself before passing judgement.
  • suziecue66
    Options
    Letitia, you went about this post the wrong way and are sounding rude. No need to attack the previous poster who was also relaying her story.
  • Tisha247
    Options
    OMG if thats the pot calling the kettle black!!
    Letitia, you went about this post the wrong way and are sounding rude. No need to attack the previous poster who was also relaying her story.
  • Tisha247
    Options
    Thanks for your post, I'm sure you can do it!
  • rachmaree
    rachmaree Posts: 782 Member
    Options
    Hi Letitia, I am so sorry to hear your husband had cancer, thank goodness he has recovered. You sure have dealt with a lot, I hope you are settled in your new home. Take care