Demotivated - weight loss doesn't seem to have made any diff

Options
Hey guys,

I am new to MFP and have joined as I am struggling to keep motivated. I am 5'3.5 and at the beginning of this year I weighed 184 pounds. Since then I have managed to lose 14 pounds, down to 172 (even if I did fall off the wagon for a few weeks!) However this weight loss appears to have made no difference to the shape of my body; I still wear the same size clothes and still have the same hips, waist, thigh and arm measurements. This is extremely demotivating and I just wondered if anyone else had been in the same position and how you dealt with it. My initial target weight is 140, but ideal would be between 130-135.
I am really wanting to see a difference in my shape ofm y body by the end of May as I go away on holiday.
Advice and input would be much appreciated. Thanks :

Replies

• juliemaplehurst
    Options
    Me too, until I fell in love with jillian michaels DVDs!

All my clothes were the old boring fat ones no chance of getting into the slimmer ones (stuffed at the back of the wardrobe).

Then I did the 30 day shred and people noticed a shape difference, a few more pounds are coming off but the real high is my top belly has all but gone!

I would also like to be around 140 ish but I will settle for a toned fab figure no matter what the numbers say, I feel I am on way back to my profile pick but this time with definition.

Keep going you will get there, one day soon ! And always drink loads of water......

Good luck
  • Louise1583
    Louise1583 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I think you need to work on your muscles if you want to see a real change in shape. I only really started noticing a GOOD difference when I put some effort into using the weights machines. Cardio will burn fat but it's ultimately the muscles under your fat that will make the difference.

Keep on with the good eating, and try and get those muscles working. Not only will it improve your shape, it'll make you feel stronger and you'll likely carry yourself differently (I feel taller and therefore slimmer now I've got the strength to stand up straight!!).

Good luck! :)
  • byrdiekatina
    Options
    using the elliptical at the gym and really using my arms by turning my hips with some really motivating music will get you some curves, you'll lose back fat and love handles....well, it did on me when i weighed 150. hang in there, what you lack is motivation.....it will take a month to 3 months to see results that encourage you, but only 2 weeks of bad choices to get right back where you started....just watch your choices of food and keep hitting the gym....if you can just get to the gym you'll be fine....i find it's just hard to get to gym but once there...i follow through and glad i did.
  • sherrisluzinit4good
    sherrisluzinit4good Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I think you need to work on your muscles if you want to see a real change in shape. I only really started noticing a GOOD difference when I put some effort into using the weights machines. Cardio will burn fat but it's ultimately the muscles under your fat that will make the difference.

Keep on with the good eating, and try and get those muscles working. Not only will it improve your shape, it'll make you feel stronger and you'll likely carry yourself differently (I feel taller and therefore slimmer now I've got the strength to stand up straight!!).

• Clarevmb
    Clarevmb Posts: 211 Member
    Options

completely agree with this. You've done really well on the weight loss - congratulations, just need to get some toning/weights in now!
  • em435
    em435 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    Hang in there Kirsty. The changes will soon be visible but, I agree with what everyone else has said - get those muscles working. I can't really afford the gym at the moment but I'm working on crunches, push-ups and sprinting uphill to really improve my muscle tone.
    Keep up your efforts and I'm sure you'll be feeling fabulous in time for your holiday.

xxx
  • Living4Liz2012
    Options
    YES...hit the weights and you will see a change:)

For example when I work on my (arms)
    4 reps of 10 doing 30 lbs

once you start hitting weights you will see a change...

Alot of people I've noticed do Jillian Micheal Workouts, p90x and I just started instanty:)
    If you need any tips or advice im here...NEVER GIVE UP:)
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    The best way to change body compossition is a heavy lifting strenth training program using copound lofts. Check out new rules of lifting for womes or starting streingth or stronglifts5x5.
  • debubbie
    debubbie Posts: 767 Member
    Options
    I definitely agree with the others. When I had lost 40 pounds last year, it was when I started belly dancing and adding free weights exercises to my regimen than I seen a true change in my body shape. I also noticed that I had to lose about 20-25 pounds before I dropped a size in clothing too. I hope this helps. You can do this. You have did a great job in losing the 14 pounds and you can continue to do this so you reach your goal. :)
  • akiramezu
    akiramezu Posts: 278
    Options
    Hun you have to relax. It takes time, and there will be weeks where you don't change, where you gain, and where you lose.
    what matters is that you keep on going no matter what. I was a 158 pounds @17% body fat 3 days ago, now I'm back to 166 pounds. Does it suck? yeah it does, but does it stop me from reaching my goal of 125-135 pounds (fly weight fighter)? no it does not.

Remember, there's a difference between weight loss and fat loss, and despite my 8 pound gain of weight, I'm now 15% body fat.
    Never ever use the scale to measure your progress, always use your body image and clothes to gauge your progress. So you've had a crappy few weeks and lost nothing, nor saw any changes, don't worry about it. Like i said, you will have weeks where nothing happens, weight loss is not a linear progression, if we could all lose at a constant 1-2 pound a week, god damn, that would be so awesome. But we can't, because so many things factor towards weight loss and weight gain.

1. The food you eat
    2. The amount of exercise you do
    3. your environment
    4. your state of mind
    5. your friends and family
    6. Water fluctuation (remember, our body can gain and lose up to 3 liters of water a day, that's a whooping 3kg weight gain or loss per day throughout the day)
    7. Your current health (are you sick or not, having just a cold or a fever can mess up your normal bodily functions)

The world is not perfect, we are not perfect, the best we can do is just to do our best and keep going, no matter how much it hurts, no matter how much it sucks. These obstacles that you are facing now, are a test towards both your mental and physical fortitude. Overcome these obstacles and you are one step closer towards your goal, towards a better and happier you! so don't be disheartened or demotivated. and remember, don't think of this as a diet, think of it as a way of life. Because the way we perceive life is so important , and thinking of it as a diet, really doesn't help anybody.
  • Hopelessbird
    Options
    My starting weight is the same as yours. I lost about 9 lb already but I incorporated cardio and strength training. The decrease in weight may be small but I already lost an inch off my hips, my waist, thighs are smaller, pants fit better and my buns are little higher. The strength training does wonders in changing your body (especially squats and lunges). And lift heavy to tone your arms.

Stay focused and keep on trying. You will get there.
  • KLL1985
    KLL1985 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys, strength training with weights it is then! At the moment I am just doing cardio work, 30 mins of Zumba four times a week and 20-30 minutes of walking at 3.7mph most days a week. So I will plan to increase weight training in to that. I can't afford a gym membership but will look in to buying some weight equipment and finding a good training plan.
    Thanks again, these forums rocks!
  • kimmorelli
    Options
    Everyone is right. Lifting weights will change your shape and also try clean eating. The cleaner the better. Google clean eating and/or Tosca Reno if you aren't familiar with it! Congratulations on losing 14 pounds!! That's an awesome start.
  • lilchicksta94
    lilchicksta94 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    You definitely have to do some weight training. I do kickboxing which really helps tone along with the cardio. I also do some weight training with the exercise ball. I've lost 30 lbs and my clothes are hanging off of me but I didn't notice a change in my tone until I started doing kickboxing and weight training :-) Congrats! You're doing great... don't get discouraged!! :-)