Heya!- Another person looking for support

Options
Hello! I've tried losing weight a few times in my life. In high school I was on weight watchers and lost 15 pounds...that was about 60 pounds ago. Back then (ha, I'm only 23) I still thought I was "big" and "unhealthy", when I know now that having a bigger frame doesn't necessarily make me "fat" like society was trying to teach me. I've always been one to promote losing weight to be *healthy*, not fit some kind of image that I, or my friends, thought was "beautiful".

I've struggled with my weight over the years (who hasn't?) since then, and then I had my yearly physical about a month ago and I was up 30 pounds from a year ago. 30 POUNDS! That was mind-blowing for me. Never have I gained that much weight in such a short period. It took me about a month to actually get motivated, but I finally joined a gym last week and now am using this site to count my calories.

I've always hated those people who were always talking about how many calories were in things, or those people who only eat salads at meals just to prove a point (hey, if you're vegetarian/vegan or really like salads, I've got nothing against you), so I don't want to become one of those people. I've had friends tell me "I'm glad I'm with you" when we're out at a restaurant because they have other friends who would judge them one what/how much they eat. And that felt great. So I guess what I'm saying is that I just want to make sure I don't lose who I am, as well as pounds (which WILL hopefully happen!).

I'm also afraid that I'm going to start this thing, get discouraged, and give up. Then I'll look back in shame at this attempt (and this post) and feel like a failure. So I decided to see if I could get any friends/support on here to make sure I stay on track. I'm nervous about my weigh-in (I like weekly weigh-ins) on Wednesday, because I feel like I've tried to eat healthy and exercise before, but it didn't do anything. I'm hoping that actually keeping track of things on here will be the catalyst for change.

I'd love to meet some people who are just starting out like me, and hear about people who have been on here awhile. I kind of want proof that this isn't just a site that people go to for a little bit, get bored, and then leave. I know a couple people who have used it, but they don't anymore and it doesn't seem like they used it for very long.

Anyways, maybe this post was pointless, but hopefully not.

:smile:

Replies

• jeyko
    jeyko Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    Having friends on this site helps during the discouraging times! I've been using this site for just over a year and it has helped mr quite a lot! Feel free to add me, I'm always game for more friends on this journey!
  • sailorsiren13
    Options
    i will add you i never discourage only encourage and i will not judge if you slip and fall only try to support and encourage
  • GraceOrr
    GraceOrr Posts: 44
    Options
    Ive been on here since Jan 1st and havent skipped logging in one day. I just made up my mind that this is a lifestyle change for me and I want to be fit for life.
    You can do this, I know you can. In the beginning it can be tough to establish this as a habit, but I know you can do it.
    Lets do it together, friends on here really do help.
    Feel free to add me. Im not near your age, Im 32, but support helps a ton!
  • mixedfeelings
    mixedfeelings Posts: 904 Member
    Options
    Hello! I am a salad eating vegetarian :ohwell: But I've struggled for years with my weight, lost loads when I was the age you are now but put it all back on with a mixture of under-eating/binging. This time round I'm trying to get the balance right and eating a little of what I fancy. Feel free to add me!
  • stormynyts
    stormynyts Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I just started using this site a few days ago and already I am finding people who are willing to support me. Weight loss is definitely a challenge, and it certainly helps to know that there are others out there fighting the battle along side you. As long as you keep signing in, adding friends, and posting your status updates you will find encouragement here. Don't give up on yourself and don't give up on those of us who are willing to help you! Add me and we can help each other.
  • mrsladybrewer
    mrsladybrewer Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    You have come to the right place for support. We have some wonderful people here and they are an amazing support system. You are welcome to add me if you would like.
  • jaysonhijinx
    jaysonhijinx Posts: 663 Member
    Options
    Definitely some great people here to keep one another motivated and providing each other support when needed :)

Feel free to add me, more the merrier :)
  • WilliamsPeggy
    WilliamsPeggy Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    Welcome! I'll be your friend! :happy:
  • LucianaMilk
    Options
    well, you can count on me. Feel free to add me.
  • Adshill
    Adshill Posts: 130 Member
    Options
    I've been here since November and am honestly surprised I have stuck with it this long. This is my first real attempt at losing weight ( I'm 40) and I am not known for my willpower. :laugh: I still eat a lot of the same things, but within my calories and in moderation now. This site really helped me realize how quickly the calories can add up. I am losing really slowly, but hopefully that way I will be more likely to keep it off. And I wanted more of a sustainable lifestyle change than a diet. I wish you much luck on here, and feel free to add me as a friend. :)
  • lynn7298
    lynn7298 Posts: 18
    Options
    I will friend you too! We can never have too much support! :)
  • ricksnaustin
    ricksnaustin Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    Never pointless and I know there are many here that share your fears. My advice is first and foremost, do this for YOU and no one else. Second believe you CAN do it. Find a good group of friends to help you. Use all the tools here.
  • tilfordj
    tilfordj Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    My boyfriend (daddiod) and I just started a few weeks ago. The support is HERE! We are looking forward to our journey together...and would love to have you on our team!. I have sent you a friend request
  • 1derfuldia
    1derfuldia Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Hi, please feel free to add me too. I've been really enjoying this site and the support from MFP friends.
  • detroit73
    Options
    I'm Jamison. I live in Michigan. I'd really enjoy having some support if you would like to befriend me. I'm also wondering why the weight won't come off quicker since I been on this for about a couple weeks I've stayed working my calorie range but weight keeps fluxuating. Wonder if any of you ate experiencing the same thing.
  • bechtel1979
    Options
    I USE TO BE JUST LIKE YOU. ALL THOUGHS FAD DIETS DONT WORK, JUST A QUICK FIX, BUT THE REALITY IS YOU ARE HURTING YOUR BODY DEPRIVING IT OF THE NUTRIENTS IT NEEDS AND WHEN YOUR DONE WITH THAT FAD YOULL GAIN BACK MORE WEIGHT THAN WHAT YOU STARTED. HEALTHY LIFE IS A LIFE LONG COMMITTMENT. THROUGH AWAY ALL JUNK, INCLUDING SUGAR, SUGAR WILL PUT ON 30 POUNDS PER YEAR. MAKE WATER YOUR BEST FRIEND, EAT HEALTHY, AND SUPPLEMENT. SEND ME A FRIEND REQUEST. I WILL MOTIVATE YOU, SET YOUR GOALS SHORT TERM, TAKE PICTURES OF YOURSELF ONE TIME A MONTH. HAVE A FANTASTIC DAY.
  • justpeachypink
    justpeachypink Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Hi! I'm also 23 and I recently realized that I gained about 40 pounds in the last 7 months. I don't even know HOW that happened!
    I'm brand new to this site and just starting out. I'd love to make friends and find support, especially from people my own age. I'll try to add you now! :)
  • lou1618
    lou1618 Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    sending u a friend request.... I will never give u a hard time for a bad day, believe me when I say I have my share of those. I will only encourage u to keep on trying .