how did I.....

Options
gain? I went up from 161.0 yesterday to 161.6 today?? Is it the food or water intake??

Replies

• confuzzledwife
    Options
    I don't know how it happened, but it's happened to me a few times and it's discouraging!! I've had people tell me not to weigh myself everyday, but I still do it
  • amdahwd
    amdahwd Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    I would say that is just normal daily fluctuations. I actually gained a pound yesterday. I have learned not to worry about those gains because they will be gone in a day or so and I will have a loss.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    Water (probably)....do yourself a favour, don't get on the scale every day and don't fixate over half pound fluctuations, your weight will vary throughout the day.
  • rCatheriner
    rCatheriner Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    If you weigh yourself daily, there are almost always going to be fluctuations due to water...and other things (I'm sure others will know more). When I'm trying to lose weight I weigh myself weekly instead to see the overall progress and don't get discouraged by the little fluctuations.
  • lmelangley
    lmelangley Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    That small amount? Water gain- did you have a lot of sodium yesterday? Did you exercise a lot and could you have a little water retention in the joints? When was the last time you went to the bathroom?

Seriously, don't trust any up or down from day to day. I've found that if I haven't seen a change in weight last for 3 days (yes, I'm a daily weigher, too), it isn't real and I won't log it.
  • maddiedog22
    maddiedog22 Posts: 116
    Options
    gain? I went up from 161.0 yesterday to 161.6 today?? Is it the food or water intake??
    You need to eat more. 1200 is the minimum anything under will make ur body go into starvation mode and ur body will start storing ur food instead of burning it. I also encourage more exercise.
    But however I gain weight and lose it all the time. I was 3lbs lighter the other day and gained it back. Some is water weight yes, try only using the scale once a week not everyday. Also if I havent gone to the "bathroom" I will be slightly heavier.
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Elizabeth_C34 Posts: 6,376 Member
    Options
    The scale is not your friend. Furthremore, my weight fluctuates a good 5-8 lbs per day and 6-9 over the month.

It's the long term trend that matters, not the day-to-day numbers. Don't sweat it so much. Just keep working. The weight will come off.
  • stormyous
    stormyous Posts: 157
    Options
    imat 1350 calories a day.
  • maddiedog22
    maddiedog22 Posts: 116
    Options
    imat 1350 calories a day.
    Yes I saw that. But u actually have to eat that not just set it at it.
  • douglasmobbs
    douglasmobbs Posts: 563 Member
    Options
    You need to eat more. 1200 is the minimum anything under will make ur body go into starvation mode and ur body will start storing ur food instead of burning it. I also encourage more exercise.
    But however I gain weight and lose it all the time. I was 3lbs lighter the other day and gained it back. Some is water weight yes, try only using the scale once a week not everyday. Also if I havent gone to the "bathroom" I will be slightly heavier.

If your body is storing the food when you are under 1200 what is it using to keep everything going? Pixie dust?
  • _John
    _John Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Weigh yourself every day and enter the weights into a tool that will show you the trend so you can ignore the individual weights. See
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=net.cachapa.libra
    http://www.fourmilab.ch/hackdiet/e4/signalnoise.html
  • laurabini
    laurabini Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    Fluctuations are normal! Try to weigh yourself once a week and you'll see better results
  • ChrisRN75495
    Options
    Scales vary even within the same scale. A half a pound or so, is not all that unusual, for a scale that is not a particularly scientific one like a doctor's office might have.

Some would say you are weighing too often.

A gallon of water weighs about 8.8 pounds, so a cup of water either way could account for such a change.
  • ChrisRN75495
    Options
    Weigh yourself every day and enter the weights into a tool that will show you the trend so you can ignore the individual weights. See
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=net.cachapa.libra
    http://www.fourmilab.ch/hackdiet/e4/signalnoise.html
    We have such a tool on this website.
  • mmstgr
    mmstgr Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    Stop weighting everyday. Especially if you are using a digital scale. They can be off.
  • Willbenchforcupcakes
    Willbenchforcupcakes Posts: 4,955 Member
    Options
    Stop weighing yourself everyday if you cannot emotionally detach yourself from the number.
  • jemachharo
    jemachharo Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    NORMAL.
  • potluck965
    potluck965 Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    Stop weighing yourself everyday if you cannot emotionally detach yourself from the number.

Yeah, if you are going to obsess about every little fluctuation then you shouldn't be weighing everyday.
  • ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Options
    Or, weigh yourself several times a day so you understand that your body fluctuates.
  • spngebobmyhero
    spngebobmyhero Posts: 823 Member
    Options
    that's totally normal. I weigh myself every day out of curiosity (I don't let the changes get me down!) and it will fluctuate depending on lots of factors. If I didn't go to the bathroom, it will be higher. If I wasn't very hungry the day before it will be slightly lower. It just depends. Don't let that discourage you.