Bike for a plus size user?

Options
I tried to search this our on here and didnt really see the answer I was trying to find. I would like to find a good bike that would definitely last me a few years at least. I am over 250 pounds and I have read mixed reviews about some of the bikes from chain stores that the frames cant handle that weight on pavement or easy trail rides. I am just looking for another way to exercise on pretty days and will mostly be riding on pavement or packed dirt trails with very few hills that are mainly used for walking trails. Does anyone in my weight range that has a bike have a good suggestion for a bike? Or would I be better off to try and find an independent in my area to build a bike for me? Thank you for your help.

Replies

• hwlnmd
    hwlnmd Posts: 8
    Options
    They aren't cheap, but you can find them online.
    MySizeUSA.com sells them and another website has more links, I think it's Plussize.lovetoknow.com -just type in bicycles in the search box. (Some of the links are dead)

Between those two sites you should have pleny of options including tricycles and recumbent bikes.

I haven't tried any of the bicycles, but they look more comfortable then what's available in most big box retail stores. You might even be able to get a local independent bicycle shop to order it for you; don't know how that would effect the price.

Bicycling is a great way to get healthy without putting a lot of extra strain on your joints. I think it's also a lot of fun.:) Now that the weather is better, I've started to bike to my Zumba class.

Hope this helps and best wishes on your journey.

Jen
  • IronSmasher
    IronSmasher Posts: 3,908 Member
    Options
    I'd be amazed if you could break a frame simply due to your weight.

I've definitely used ordinary bikes at a higher weight.

My only concern would be if you had a road bike and rode carelessly, and then the wheels would be what I would expect to fail, and even then it would not be drastic.

Get a mountain bike style, ride like an adult, no worries.
  • iTswape
    iTswape Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I think pretty much any decent mountain bike would be fine. A local bike shop is a good place to ask for something not too pricey but that will last you several years.

If you are really worried about your weight you could always look for a bike designed for bike touring as they are intended to carry the weight of the cyclist plus 50+ pounds of luggage and gear. but they tend to be more expensive than you probably need for the type of riding you plan to do.
  • AllTehBeers
    AllTehBeers Posts: 5,030 Member
    Options
    I bought just a regular adult mountain bike at walmart for less then $100 and I'm tipping the 300 mark on the scale. For someone that rides the path at the park its perfect because I'm not riding any rough terrain and putting lots of stress on the frame or tires. I did buy a good seat cushion though for my bum but other then that, it works great.
  • normanmac
    normanmac Posts: 34
    Options
    Ask around for the most reputable bike shop in your area. They will be able to assist you and support you in your biking experiences. Most bike shops can fit you to the best bike for you...and give you pointers on how to set the seat and handlebars so that you are not injuring yourself. They will also readjust your bike for you as you drop your weight and reach your goal. I began on a mountain bike and have moved on to a road bike. The bike shop assisted me in both purchases. My mountain bike was a Trek, but now I own a Trek women's specific and I love it. Built for the woman's body. http://www.trekbikes.com/us/en/collections/womens
    And yes they aren't cheap - I think my mountain bike was around 4 to 500 but my woman's specific was closer to $1000.
    I hope this helps you out a bit.
    Hey and checking out the bike shop is free....
  • beachgrad05
    beachgrad05 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I started riding last summer at my heaviest weight...also plus 250. I went to my LBS. I would not recommend a bike from a chain store like Walmart. Get a quality bike that fits where you intend to ride. Don't get a mountain bike unless you plan on riding off road. Gearing is set for riding on hilly trails. Talk to the LBS about where you plan to ride and have them fit you to an appropriate bike for your body. If the bike is not the right type of bike for where you plan to ride, you might not ride after a while because the bike is not fun to ride.

Also the bike will have a warranty and the LBS has bike techs to work on it. Places like Walmart don't have that.

I got a Trek hybrid fitness bike. My Trek has a lifetime warranty on the frame again something a Walmart bike won't have. When I got it, my goals were to ride on local bike trails (paved) and commute to work. My FX is good for both uses. I have since signed up for events 31 miles and up with goal to do a century(100 miles) so am soon adding a road bike to my bike stable (which includes a mountain bike that I got years ago at my LBS so I speak from experience as far as riding that type of bike on pavement).

Another suggestion....find a local group to ride with to make it more fun as well
  • debubbie
    debubbie Posts: 767 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone for the advice. Apparently, there is a LBS in my area that I wasnt aware of and hopefully they can help me find what I am looking for. :)
  • tjhodgen
    tjhodgen Posts: 10
    Options
    I love riding my bike. I just bought a bike with wide tires, gears and a wide seat at Walmart and it works great for me!
  • lisapr123
    lisapr123 Posts: 863 Member
    Options
    You'll be fine with a quality bike shop bike. I just finished a 37 mile invitational (like, literally, an hour ago) and there were many cyclists in the 300 lb range.

I ride a Giant. It's their hybrid, I think. Built like a road bike (lightweight) but with upright handlebars (less back pain) and tires (that I put on) for road or trail. It's a great bike. I went to a local shop and discussed with them my goals and what kind of riding I planned on doing and they helped me find one in my budget. That was 6 years ago and I'm still in love with my Giant. Today I rode with a guy on a $11,000 LOOK bike and kept up with him just fine.
  • cohophysh
    cohophysh Posts: 288
    Options
    At 250 any decent bike should work. I would go to your local bike shop, if they are decent they will help you out. if you get a lot of arrogance, go to the next shop. Also, you can check in here www.bikeforums.net and go to the clyde/althena tab and do some looking around...lots of friendly folks in the C/A section. The biggest concern with us heavy riders is the wheelsets.

http://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php/248-Clydesdales-Athenas-(200-lb-91-kg)
  • cohophysh
    cohophysh Posts: 288
    Options
    I started riding last summer at my heaviest weight...also plus 250. I went to my LBS. I would not recommend a bike from a chain store like Walmart. Get a quality bike that fits where you intend to ride. Don't get a mountain bike unless you plan on riding off road. Gearing is set for riding on hilly trails. Talk to the LBS about where you plan to ride and have them fit you to an appropriate bike for your body. If the bike is not the right type of bike for where you plan to ride, you might not ride after a while because the bike is not fun to ride.

Also the bike will have a warranty and the LBS has bike techs to work on it. Places like Walmart don't have that.

I got a Trek hybrid fitness bike. My Trek has a lifetime warranty on the frame again something a Walmart bike won't have. When I got it, my goals were to ride on local bike trails (paved) and commute to work. My FX is good for both uses. I have since signed up for events 31 miles and up with goal to do a century(100 miles) so am soon adding a road bike to my bike stable (which includes a mountain bike that I got years ago at my LBS so I speak from experience as far as riding that type of bike on pavement).

Another suggestion....find a local group to ride with to make it more fun as well

exactly what he said...warranty and service are worth the price
  • Ant_M76
    Ant_M76 Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    You don't need a 'special' bike. Just make sure if you go down the road bike route, that you think about possibly upgrading to 36 spoke wheels (specifically on the rear).
  • caroleslaststand
    caroleslaststand Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    If those trails are in a public park (city, county or state), you should check first to make sure that bicycles are allowed. They aren't allowed in Forest Park in Portland OR - largest park within a city in the whole country (so they say....the main trail around and through it runs close to 30 miles long with numerous side trails). It seems like a likely place for biking, considering the setting and length of the trails, but bicyclists are asked to use the fire route roads, because they're wide, clear of roots and rocks and not used a lot by hikers. It really is annoying when I have my heart rate working on optimum and have to stop on a skinny trail and wait for a group of bicyclists who either don't know that or don't care - to get by me (one bicyclist is fine, but they're living dangerously). I bet their heart rates aren't interrupted at all. I'm such a grouch. Just something to think about. Anyway have fun no matter where you do it.
  • Rockstar_sister
    Rockstar_sister Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    my hubby was over 350 pounds when he got his. It's a Livestrong and cost about $500, maybe less. He rides it all the time and has lost weight using it. I can't ride too often because it makes my butt go to sleep, but they do sell other seats for it to help with cushioning. :) Hope that helps. I don't think you'd have a problem at all riding a bike, any bike, they are made sturdy! :)
  • cricketannie
    cricketannie Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    Diamond Back. I have a diamond back and have been riding it since I was 270lbs. I'm down to 220 now and haven't so much as had to replace a spoke. It's durable and dependable. My husband rides a diamond back also. He's about 315. We ride almost every weekend, and some week nights.....so these bikes get a LOT of use.
  • carole456
    carole456 Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    Bump1! This is something I've wondered about. I would love to go out on my bike but I've been too worried about it collapsing under me. I think I'll gig it dig it out of the shed and have it serviced and give it a go!!
  • beachgrad05
    beachgrad05 Posts: 85 Member
    Options

exactly what he said...warranty and service are worth the price

Should be "what SHE said". :glasses: