Insanity or P90X?

Options
Hey guys!
I know Insanity hasn't been out that long, but how's everyone liking it?

I'm 5'0 and 132lbs. I've got lots of jiggle. lol. I've been exercising off and on for 6 months (the last two being consistent). Right now i'm doing Power 90. I've got about 1.5 month left to go. I do want to try both programs, but I'm not sure what to do first. My endurance is definately improving, but I know that Insanity is mostly tough cardio.
My main goal is to be able to do a pull up or a one handed pushup, whichever comes first! haha. I saw Jillian Michaels doing that in the BIggest Loser entrance theme and was inspired. I really want to lose body fat and just get fit.

Replies

• Phera
    Phera Posts: 269 Member
    Options
    I've been doing p90x and have to say that it's pretty intense as it is. I'll do at least another round of p90x before even thinking about Insanity.
  • Maria105
    Maria105 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Try Cathe Freidrich. She is on fittv and she has alot of dvd's. I have P90X and hate.
  • denitchy
    denitchy Posts: 445
    Options
    I have P90X and it IS tough...I suggest you do that first. I watched some clips for Insanity, and that's EXACTLY what it looks like. :laugh:
  • singfree
    singfree Posts: 1,591 Member
    Options
    Having done P90X and am currently doing Insanity, I can tell you that they have different approaches to fitness. I am 55 and very fit. I think that there is an advantage to going through the muscle-building fitness program (P90X) first. You then will be fit enough to tackle Insanity. If I had to start from square one and start Insanity, I think it would kill me. Even now the Insanity workouts are very difficult, but i can already see myself getting more lean even after only one week.

Insanity will give you aerobic fitness and make you lean. P90X emphasizes more strength exercies than cardio. Ultimately the choice is up to the individual. Good luck!
  • XFireFitness
    XFireFitness Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I would do at least 2 rounds of P90X before even considering Insanity. I am on my first round 3rd week of P90X and LOVING IT!!!! I did Power 90 before and also loved it. I don't have that much weight to lose, I want to tone up and lose 10 pounds of body fat so far in 3 weeks P90X is doing the trick. :drinker:
  • fufi32
    fufi32 Posts: 6
    Options
    Hi there,

I have done a 1/2 ound of P90X and it's tough yes, I agree there.
    Last week I purchased Insanity and started today. My advice to you do 1 round of P90X first and then try Insanity.
    I was in somewhat okay shape but the last couple of months I sort of let myself go and today when I took the Insanity fit test I could see the damage I had done to myself. I'm not going to return the program, as a matter of fact, have my first true workout tomorrow morning and will do the best I can. I know in 60 days I'll be in a better place than what I am now.

Stick withP90X first and then move on to Insanity.
  • visiologist
    Options
    I absolutely agree with everyone who says to go through at least two rounds of P90X before trying Insanity.

I did two rounds of X, and just started Insanity. It is unreal - I am gasping and wheezing trying to keep up with the DVDs! My average heart rate numbers have been off the charts - as high as mid-150's even including the warm-up/cool-down and breaks. My maximum HR has been 172 so far on the first 4 days of the program. And I typically have a LOW heart rate - my resting pulse is 46 bpm.

Mike
  • TByrd1325
    TByrd1325 Posts: 920 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone!! I'm gonna go with P90X. I really want to challenge myself, but I don't want to kill myself, lol.
  • jessmomof3
    jessmomof3 Posts: 4,590 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone!! I'm gonna go with P90X. I really want to challenge myself, but I don't want to kill myself, lol.

I agree!! I am on week 2 of Insanity and loving it! I've used most of the BB products, and P90X is another favorite. Let me know if you have any questions, there is a P90X thread going here! :bigsmile:
  • smartinez06360
    smartinez06360 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    I've done Power 90, one round of P90X, and I'm on week 2 of Insanity.
    I agree that you should start with P90X and then move on to Insanity.
    I love P90X and have noticed significant improvements in my strength and definition, still working on doing an unassisted pull-up but I can do one armed push-ups. I plan to move on to round 2 of P90X after I finish Insanity.
    Good luck.