Jobs Where You Stand

Options
Hello!

I was just wondering if anyone had any tips about working out when you work a job where you stand for 8+ hours a day. I was using this as an excuse for a while as to why I wasn't working out, but I finally decided to just get over it. My first day of working out sucked because I had to work afterwards and I was SO TIRED and my legs and feet hurt. I know it will get better over time, but I just wondered if anyone had pointers/tips/tricks they used.

Replies

• Remi79
    Remi79 Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    I'm a bank teller and I stand and run around all day. My feet kill me after a long day.
    Bump
  • linsey76A
    linsey76A Posts: 102
    Options
    I have a couple of different thoughts on this but first I would have to ask what type of job you are doing. Are you working a job that you have to stay in one place the entire 8 hours or can you walk around a bit? And if you are self conscious...then are there always a lot of people around you? Squats are one way to get some activity in while working, also calf raises, if you can move around at your job then doing some laps around the area you are working...a long time ago i used to work at a party store and i always made sure i was walking around checking everything was stocked and looking tidy. If this isn't something you can do...I recommend trying to get your workout in before work that way you won't be too exhausted for it. I don't know if any of this will help or not, but I wish you luck!
  • mrspiz
    mrspiz Posts: 10
    Options
    Work out after work.
  • rCatheriner
    rCatheriner Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I work at a hotel, so I mostly stand in one place, but I always am one to volunteer to bring things to people's rooms! I do notice when I walk more I feel better, but I need to stay near the desk to answer the phone/check people in. Also, my shift is normally 3-11 and my gym isn't open that late. I used to go to planet fitness because they were open late, but my new gym has a pool/classes so I'm excited about that.
  • amycool
    amycool Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I work in a tiny little shop, I stand all day even for lunch because there isn't room to put a table and chair out the back but I still go to the gym afterwards and after I've been and done a class or whatever my feet and legs feel better, loads better than if I just go home and sit down afterwards. Standing in one place for long periods of time really hurts but the exercise afterwards just stretches out all of your muscles and gets your joints moving, and it just makes it better.

No tricks or tips though, just my own experience :-)
  • lilyvale68
    lilyvale68 Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    First of all make sure you have decent shoes!

I stand for my job all day in a pharmacy. I do have one of those great mats though. I guess with most physical changes the body adjusts. When I transitioned from a desk job to a standing job, my feet were killing me after an hour and a half. But, within a few weeks, standing for several hours was no longer an issue. My feet felt a little bit of discomfort when I started running a few weeks ago, but they're adjusting again. Just give each transition some time. It won't be long.
  • kate_sunflower
    kate_sunflower Posts: 152 Member
    Options
    Is there a specific reason why you can't work out before your shift? Just for me (I have a desk job) I can't sit around the whole day thinking about the workout I have to do later in the day. When I was waitressing for many years I always, no matter what the shift, would workout before and get it out of the way... just try to keep your body fueled with the right foods throughout the day so you won't be so exhausted at night.
  • vickieross
    vickieross Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Try water aerobics, it's great fun and doesn't make your body hurt.:flowerforyou:
  • Joannie30
    Joannie30 Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    My job is also a reason why I don't work out. I am a nursery teacher and i look after roughly 70 3-5 year olds a day. I like to think that keeps me reasonably active lol.

What i have been doing though is tensing my abdominals when i am doing jobs which require standing etc (for example, if i am lifting a child, or tidying up toys etc. I find keeping my core engaged is a bit more beneficial. It certainly feels that way anyway- after an 8 hour day i certainly feel as if i've done a couple of hours in the gym...
  • HannahMarieMcDougald
    Options
    Hairstylist.....I love my job :happy:
  • rCatheriner
    Options
    Thanks guys! I know my body will adjust, I'm just impatient, haha. I'm definitely going to be working out before work (unless I get a new job) so I just have to make it through until I'm not as tired. I think my feet have also been hurting more because of the weight I've gained, so there's 2 benefits to working out/losing weight!
  • FluffyMamaNeeds2Lose
    FluffyMamaNeeds2Lose Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    Water aerobics is a great workout and there is no stress on your bones, joints or muscles. You will burn calories and the water will relax you :)
  • Cdn_Dot
    Cdn_Dot Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I work at a job in a factory where I stand most of the day and wave my arms really fast LOL. But when the line is down, I do pushups off the machine, squats, leg and calf raises and wall sits. My coworkers and I have even done some tai chi moves to fill in the time. Just little things here and there but it adds up. :laugh:
  • aprilgicker
    aprilgicker Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    GO tot he gym before work. you will find that you will have more energy for the mid shift. and SHOES, those pretty heels aren't doing you any good. buy some nice uniform shoes the styles are a lot better now.
  • puggypatti
    Options
    Spinning class or using a spin bike helps rejuvinate my legs and gets the edema out of the ankle area. It is hard to exercise on your feet when you stand on your feet all day too.
  • rCatheriner
    Options
    Don't worry, my work shoes are ugly and purely for comfort! I also use Dr. Scholl's arch support inserts and that helps a TON
  • chosengiver
    chosengiver Posts: 1,493
    Options
    TED hose
    Support Stockings
    or
    JOBST
    are A MUST!!!
    knee/thigh/or full coverage in length.

I'm a 12 hr shift RN, yes! I know!!
  • FlaxMilk
    FlaxMilk Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    I do both leg and arm weights lying down only while watching tv. It's actually become me time that way. It really doesn't feel like work anymore.
  • Willbenchforcupcakes
    Willbenchforcupcakes Posts: 4,955 Member
    Options
    I manage high volume retail when I'm not on mat leave. My best advice would be to give yourself a foot/calf massage after your workout, wear the most supportive shoes you can at work, and another foot massage after work.