I hate counting calories!!

Options
This hit a lot sooner than I thought it would. I am getting tired of doing this. The only reason I don't up and quit is that, everytime I eat what I want, I get sick!
I am sooo tired of counting calories and logging them. I hate going into stores and obsessing over nutrition lables and calories, and serving sizes.
I feel like I am more obsessed with food now, than I used to be. I am ALWAYS thinking about the next meal. I feel like I am living to eat, instead of eating to live.

I think its a good thing at the same time too, being aware of food. It keeps me from thoughtlessly putting food in my mouth. I mean, not thinking about it is what got me in this stupid mess in the first place! I don't want to go there again!

I am just feeling discouraged, and I think its coming from another scource, and food is the only scapegoat I see here....:grumble:

Sorry everyone.

Replies

• JStarnes
    JStarnes Posts: 5,576 Member
    Options
    :indifferent: Agreed. Seems like one extreme or the other. where's the happy medium? GL, you'll find it soon - then maybe you can show me the way :tongue: Don't give up hope - it'll all be worth it in the end.
  • sgross7
    sgross7 Posts: 1
    Options
    I know how you feel. My constant thoughts are eating healthy. How do we get passed it. It's very frustrating not to see any pounds leaving after you've eating all these nasty mealls, work out, and then absolutely nothing happens! UUUHHH this is truly tough! Help!
  • healthychic
    healthychic Posts: 298
    Options
    I know how you feel, it does get really time consuming and annoying! I don't even do it every day, I just make sure I make really healthy choices on the days I don't log in. It is important though to be aware of what you are putting in your body. Before this website I had no idea how bad some of the things I thought were "better choices." But you could just try eating healthy foods that you know are healthy and don't log them, and keep working out. See how that goes for you. Really if you are just exercising and eating well, you may not have to even log in the calories, it is just so you know how good or bad the things are you are eating. Thats really the only advice I can give ya.:happy:

-Danielle
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    LuckyLeprechaun Posts: 6,296 Member
    Options
    I know how you feel, but with time, it does pass. You begin to learn what calories are in what foods, and you can stop feeling like you're obsessing. For me, this feeling lasted for the first couple months, but now I know pretty much automatically what fits into my calorie goals and what doesn't.

Your health is worth the effort, if you give it some more time, it will get better!!!

:flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:
  • neenaleigh
    neenaleigh Posts: 584 Member
    Options
    maybe its because i only started 2 months ago, but i love it....it helps me stay on track. What I DO HATE, is the shopping....i spend hours in the grocery store comparing nutrition facts. Debating, picking up, putting back:grumble: , im a friggin nut!:noway: but i know its all for me in the end, so im okay with it!
  • karenmacneil
    Options
    I've been feeling really bummed out lately too, i was just saying that i am sick of logging my food. I've been at this for 10 week (this friday) and my weight has gone up and down... i feel like i'm fighting for every pound. I want to quit to... i'm starting to think i could learn to like my weight (total lie)...but my husband is paying for the gym and for me to see a trainer once a week. so i'm trying to stick with it but my hearts not really in it these days.
    what do you think we can do to keep up the motivation? maybe we're just through a tough patch and things willo get better. =) i hope so!
    good luck and I hope that we all work through this and keep up the good fight!
  • PureAndHealthy
    Options
    It's kind of like the "burden" of wealth. Most everyone wants to be rich and have plenty of money, but when you do.... you have to worry and stress about how to manage it, etc. If you were so poor you didn't know where your next meal was coming from or if you would get to eat today, you wouldn't need to count calories. You would simply eat when you had an opportunity to keep from dying. But it sounds like you (like almost all Americans) have plenty of access to food at any time day or night. What an awesome blessing we take for granted. But just like Paul said in Philippians 4:12, we too have to learn HOW to live in prosperity. Managing great blessing can be a challenge.... but it's a challenge we should be so thankful for. Take some time to think about the deeper things of life and try to come at this whole tracking thing with a new attitude tomorrow. Congrats on the 12 pounds lost and keep up the good work! :smile:
  • chrissyh
    chrissyh Posts: 8,235 Member
    Options
    Don't give up! A friend who is overweight told me I was obsessing about food and what's in it and I said you better believe it - obviously the old way didn't work - when I was 90 pounds overweight!

You are probably going thru a phase - fight thru it - you can beat it and continue on your path to healthy living!!!
  • pattitricia85
    Options
    well said PureAndHealthy! i get frustrated sometimes too, because i know that there is no turning back, i will be counting calories and watching my food for a VERY long time. I haven't even had kids yet. I know it sounds cliche but, this is how i have to live my life. If i don't count calories and if I gain weight I will be obsessing about my food/weight/body anyway. I figure might as well obesess and do something at the same time. I know, its annoying. But if being thin and healthy were easy, everyone would wear a size 3 and no one would have heart disease (or any other chronic illness due to bad eating habbits etc)
  • Johnnyswife
    Johnnyswife Posts: 1,447 Member
    Options
    I feel better, having vented. I am proud of the fact that I try so hard to be aware of food. But sometimes I feel more like a glutton who wants to shove whatever won't eat me first, into my mouth. I don't always feel more healthly even though I am.
    I won't take what I've lost for granted, but I wish so badly that I didn't have to do this in the first place! My sisters and Mom are slender. I was the only fat person in my family! Why me? Why do I have to be so freaking different?
    Thanks for the encouragement everyone. I'll feel better about it tommorow. I think we all have this kind of day, no matter how well we do! Thanks:flowerforyou:
  • BrenNew
    BrenNew Posts: 3,420 Member
    Options
    I've been feeling really bummed out lately too, i was just saying that i am sick of logging my food. I've been at this for 10 week (this friday) and my weight has gone up and down... i feel like i'm fighting for every pound. I want to quit to... i'm starting to think i could learn to like my weight (total lie)...but my husband is paying for the gym and for me to see a trainer once a week. so i'm trying to stick with it but my hearts not really in it these days.
    what do you think we can do to keep up the motivation? maybe we're just through a tough patch and things willo get better. =) i hope so!
    good luck and I hope that we all work through this and keep up the good fight!

I know that in my own case, MY motivation has been to look at the profile pics of members who have lost anywhere from 25 and up pounds. To see their before and after pics was pretty much all the motivation I needed (along with reading and responding on the message boards) to keep plugging away and have my OWN before and after pics. And believe me, once you see your very OWN pics of what you used to look like, and what you look like now, thanks to MFP, you WILL be motivated to continue (for the MOST part!) watching your numbers and getting some exercise, cuz you will NOT want to go back to the way you used to be! :wink:
  • April0815
    April0815 Posts: 780 Member
    Options
    Go in your closet and try on something you use to wear before you started losing weight and maybe when you see how big it is on you, your mood will change. You will be ready to log those calories.
  • barbarella
    barbarella Posts: 609 Member
    Options
    I feel your pain Sistah! :love: :flowerforyou:

It is a challenge to figure out the perfect balance between:
    - obsession & slacking
    - mindful & mindless eating
    - making lifestyle changes, not just reaching a goal weight

This website really helps me stay on track and understand how many calories, carbs, sugar etc. is in the foods we eat. When I catch myself obsessing, I take a breath and relax! I also:

- mostly "eyeball" amounts, being honest but not super precise
    - be mindful of my foods & exercise on the weekend, but being a bit looser

We have to enjoy life and keep plugging away! I have given up & started over so many times!!! :noway:
    I'm sick of doing that and am staying with it this time!
    Good Luck Everybody! :drinker: :bigsmile:
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options
    See, now for me it's the opposite. I feel like now, I have power over food. I have the knowledge now that I needed in order to make informed decisions with regards to my body. I can look at a nutrition label now, and know exactly what everything on there means, and what it means to me. No longer do I just look at how many calories something has, now I can look at the ingredients and know if something is right, regardless of calories. I feel it's enlightening. I can now decide not based on basic caloric content, but now based on the whole picture, and what that means to my body and my health. I find that exciting to me. I enjoy shopping now.
  • Poison5119
    Poison5119 Posts: 1,460 Member
    Options
    The thought has crossed my mind that soon, I may be able to give up logging food and worrying about exercise. Not that I would stop exercising or watching my food choices...I just won't always need MFP. Reason: I can tell you (within a reasonable number) how many calories are in the egg salad sandwich I just made. I have been doing this so long, it's second nature. You LEARN what you can and cannot eat, how to judge what is in the food you consume, how many calories you're burning in your workouts, and getting that control back is what this, for me, is all about.

Edit: I also think to myself sometimes, whenever I was tempted to stop altogether, "what would I be doing here on my computer if I wasn't logging my food and exercise?' The answer is that I'd be infinitely more bored, and far less successful at weight loss. Studies have shown that people who log their food and exercise and keep track of what's going on are more successful in their attempts to control their weight.
  • sarabear
    sarabear Posts: 864
    Options
    I am totally with you! I go grocery shopping at like midnight on Saturday's by myself so that I can read labels without my kids and a million others roaming the store. I'm obsessed I sometimes think I have OCD because I'm so anal about things, but this is getting to be worse!
  • Johnnyswife
    Johnnyswife Posts: 1,447 Member
    Options
    I did it! I made it through the day and under my calories too. I don't feel as frustrated over counting, but I don't think I'll ever be at peace with it.
    I hope I get to were some of you are, and am able to guesstimate the calorie levels and not think so much about it.
    Thanks again for letting me vent. You rock!:flowerforyou: