I am not losing weight...ugh

Options
Hi everyone,

Ok so I decided 2 weeks ago to take control of my life and change it forever. I have 4 beautiful daughters and a loving supportive husband. I just turned 33 last Monday and I need to feel better and look better. I went and talked to a nutritionist and I am strictly following his food guidelines for me. Mostly Chicken, fresh veggies, fruits. No bread except ezekiel bread and I quit drinking soda about 6 weeks ago. I do not cheat, because I am finally at the point that I need to do this for me! My mom got us all a membership to the gym for my birthday and for a week I have been busting my bottom in the gym and eating about 1200 calories a day. However, I am not seeing the scale move...matter of fact is said this morning that I gained 3 lbs. I know they say that when you start your period to expect this to happen, and I just did...but I am so discouraged and I just feel like I won't lose this weight. It should be easy for me to do so, since I have so much of it to lose, but I don't see anything! I drink so much water it's ridiculous and at the gym I have been doing the elliptical and bike and row machine. This week I was going to incorporate so strength training, but now I'm not sure. I just need some advice on what I may be doing wrong or what I can change to see results. I need to lose over 100lbs. Thanks so much!

Replies

• Tn2009
    Tn2009 Posts: 21
    Options
    oh and the 5lbs lost was from the previous week when I didn't use the gym, but the scale says I gained 3 of that back!
  • FlaxMilk
    FlaxMilk Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    If you need to lose over 100 lbs, you probably should be eating more than 1200. Think of it this way: if you eat 1200 now, your body will adjust to it and slow it's processes accordingly. What are you going to do to lose when you need to lose 25 lbs?

*Just re-read and saw the nutritionist bit. Did the nutritionist put you on 1200?
  • emrys1976
    emrys1976 Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    It's generally helpful to open food diaries when asking for advice regarding weight loss. Based on what you're saying, though, the things people are going to tell you are that you may be eating too little for the amount of exercise you are doing. I will ask you if you've seen your doctor to rule out things like hypothyroidism, insulin resistance/type 2 diabetes, and other conditions that will inhibit weight loss. Aside from that, our bodies sometimes need more time than we'd like to give them.
  • HoosierMomma1
    HoosierMomma1 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Don't forget to measure yourself. I e leaned to ignore the scale and focus on how my clothes fit and if I'm losing inches. I've lat 10% body fat and no pounds. If I only watched the scale I'd be ready to quit right now. Slow and steady wins the race
    Theresa
  • maddiedog22
    maddiedog22 Posts: 116
    Options
    Ts month I gained 4lbs during TOM. I highly suggest measuring hips, waist, legs, whatever area ur trying to slim down. In the first month I didn't lose any weight. But I lost inches everywhere. Just keep it up. In a total of 2 1/2 months I've only lost about 14lbs. So just keep at it.
  • neverstray
    neverstray Posts: 3,845 Member
    Options
    I'm learning more about this myself. 1200 calories may not be enough and your body is starving and holding onto the fat. I don't know your weight, height, age or activity level, but there more to it than just eating 1200 calories. I have plateaued in my weight loss and in all my research, I've come to the conclusion that I need to increase calories in order to lose. I went up almost 500. We'll see. But, that's what all the websites and articles are telling me.

Here's a resource that might help you understand it better and potentially make adjustments to your diet: http://calorieline.com/tools/tdee

I would listen to your nutritionist above all else for now, but maybe this will provide you with some info to ask some questions of them and see if they have answers or not. Mainly, if it's not working, then make a change, and your nutritionist should be on board with that, IMO.
  • honestlysweet
    honestlysweet Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    Hi. I just joined and saw your post. It took me three weeks of gym workouts every day and healthy eating before I saw the scale move. It's been two months now and I have lost six pounds. It is not much, but my measurements tell a very different story. I have lost three inches off of my waist and two and a half off of my hips. I can see a big difference in my body and my clothes are looser. So I say don't worry so much about the scale. Take measurements and make this a lifestyle change. If you continue as you are, you will reach your goal in a year or two, not overnight. I think you are doing a great job.
  • usedasbrandnew
    usedasbrandnew Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    Remember you have to NET 1200 if that's your plan. I'm at 185, trying to lose another 40 and I eat 1450 calories a day BEFORE exercise. (Since I am it 1450 I don't always eat back all my calories, but at least 1/2 of them and I'm losing!) You have to eat what you burn! You will go into starvation mode burning 400 of your 1200 calories a day. That's only giving you 800 for energy.

Also, if exercising is new to you (like it is to me), or you've ramped it up somewhat, you will be retaining some water as your muscles repair themselves. :) And it is completely normal to gain up to 4-5 lbs around that time of the month, just makes it more fun afterwards when the scale goes back down... positive thoughts.

Hope this is helpful. Baby steps!
  • schulermomof3boys
    Options
    For me personally, i just think that you should be burning more calories that you are taking in. I just recently started back loosing weight I just had my 3rd son 3 wks ago, and its so hard to lose after a kid, and everyone said "oh the weight will come off, just give it time" well with the first two, i gave it time, and it didnt come off like i wanted!!
    So now, i a determined to do it differently... So what i a doing now is cutting out of fatty and sugar foods, and watching my calorie intake, i grill everything, and like you, no soda or bread! I drink almost a gallon of water a day.
    I hope things turn around for you!
  • Tn2009
    Options
    ok so I opened up my food log, didn't know that there was a privacy setting. My computer was down for the last couple days, so there are no entries for that time. I am 5'9" and I weight 324 lbs today.
  • Tn2009
    Options
    I appreciate the post, but I am unclear about the calories. exercise aside, should I eat my 1200 or 1400 calories a day and just that...or do I need to eat more based on exercise?
  • natini
    natini Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    You need to eat your net calories. That means if you log exercise then you should eat back those calories. Based on your post you are not eating enough calories.
  • neverstray
    neverstray Posts: 3,845 Member
    Options
    You really should discuss with your nutritionist. But, it doesn't seem to me like you are eating enough. At a minimum, you should eat back your exercise calories. So, if you are supposed to eat 1200 per day, and you burn 200, you're total should be 1400.
  • badgerbadger1
    badgerbadger1 Posts: 954 Member
    Options
    After looking at your diary I see you eat between 700-1150 cals a day which is way below what anyone should eat, well below your own calorie goal and you're not eating any of your exercise cals back. You're setting yourself up for failure.
  • hayess85
    hayess85 Posts: 2
    Options
    Actually, I think a 3 lbs weight gain from beginning a workout program is normal. Muscle weighs a lot more than fat. I gained 3 lbs when I first started working out 4 months ago. Then I started to lose. Hang in there.
  • sundropc14
    sundropc14 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Hi I too looked at your diary andd for your weight, you are not eating enough calories. \if your working out you that much you need to refuel and stoke your body.
  • aprilgicker
    aprilgicker Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    you need to eat more! it is a wonder you haven't fell out! aim for 1400 net that means the total consumed plus some of your exercise cals.

make sure they are in the protein/ veggies carbs. cats. Ask you nutritionist about maybe a shake to help balance you out too. I think when you print out your dairy and show it to them you will get the same info we are giving here.
  • ladyraven68
    ladyraven68 Posts: 2,003 Member
    Options
    Actually, I think a 3 lbs weight gain from beginning a workout program is normal. Muscle weighs a lot more than fat. I gained 3 lbs when I first started working out 4 months ago. Then I started to lose. Hang in there.

It will not be muscle as she isn't doing any strength training - on that much of a deficit she will be losing muscle not gaining it.
  • OkieinMinny
    OkieinMinny Posts: 834 Member
    Options
    After looking at your diary I see you eat between 700-1150 cals a day which is way below what anyone should eat, well below your own calorie goal and you're not eating any of your exercise cals back. You're setting yourself up for failure.

^^^ This I just went back and looked through also you are barely getting to a 1,000 calories most days - Not enough - think of food as energy and it what helps keep your body pumping, you need more calories - play around with the calories - I went up 300 calories a day and started seeing better results -
  • MelissaL582
    MelissaL582 Posts: 1,422 Member
    Options
    Start watching your sodium also-add that to your diary.