For those who have a significant amount of weight to lose...

Options
Is anyone struggling with inflammation or water retention after exercise? I have about 200 lbs to lose and I started exercising a few weeks ago. After exercise my knees, ankles and back get sore and I know they are inflammed and I retain water. It takes a few days to go back down. It's discouraging on the scale because I'm always under my calorie intake but feel the exercise is hindering my weight loss, how silly is that?! I know many people experience a gain with exercise but those with a lot of weight to lose probably feel this impact much more.

If this has happened to you, how long does it take to get through this initial shock to the system?

Replies

• becoming_a_new_me
    becoming_a_new_me Posts: 1,860 Member
    Options
    This did happen with me until I started taking a glucosamine/msm supplement and a garlic supplement. After working out get a good dose of protien and complex carb within an hour. Also drink plenty of water all day.
  • LexieSweetheart
    LexieSweetheart Posts: 793 Member
    Options
    What type of exercise are you doing? you might want something more low impact like swimming
  • chevy88grl
    chevy88grl Posts: 3,937 Member
    Options
    What type of exercise are you doing? you might want something more low impact like swimming

I agree with this. I would switch to something low impact for awhile. It'll be easier on your body. Once the weight starts coming off, you can slowly move to more of a high impact exercise (like the treadmill).
  • marylouise123
    marylouise123 Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    I have over 100 pounds to lose & I started out doing just 20 minutes of Leslie Sansone walking workouts.. I have been doing them for over 2 months & am up to an hour & can do most of the exercises.. In the beginning I tweaked a few & just walked in place.. Just kept moving... It took a few weeks & then my body finally started to accept the change.. I am still sore - but I also push myself more.. I have bad knees & they are getting stronger.. I also do Wii Tennis & Boxing.. They both burn calories & get you moving.. Just start out small & work your way up.. It is possible.. Just don't worry if you can only do 10 minutes.. Any little bit to get started is fine.. Moving is the key part & drinking your water... Thanks to my determination & MFP & my amazing friends on here I am down 26 pounds & 23 inches... Good luck to you & remember the journey may be long - but the rewards are so worth it... :)
  • gregpack
    gregpack Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    Walking is beneficial. Swimming is a great idea if you have pool access. It also might be worth trying an elliptical.

Some people report better feeling joints with high doses of fish oil. You might want to look into that.

Don't get discouraged by your current limitations. They will get better over time as the weight comes off. Diet is probably 75% of the weight loss equation, so even if you do nothing, you can still lose weight. But you will get big benefits from increased level of physical fitness.

Bottom line is anything you can manage is better than nothing.
  • FullBlownWitch
    Options
    I don't -have- to lose the 100lbs that I would like to lose; I could get down an extra 20-40lbs and be alright, but I want to have my BMR and BMI be what it should be for my height.

regardless, I find that first thing, after a moring pee, I am at my most natural weighted point.
    Even after jumping on the scale shortly after working out, I've put on a couple of pounds, because I have some water while working out so I don't become dehydrated, and some water afterwards.

That in and of itself is really discouraging, so I am looking into getting some Gatorade, as it's meant for replenishing electrolytes and such, and CAN be worked off, because there are calories in it.