how long do you wait before you go to sleep?

Options
How long should i stay up after I eat dinner? I like to lay down after I eat, but i usually stay up reading or watching Tv for a good hour or two....should i try and stay out of the bed for those 2 hours before sleep or is it okay?

Replies

• April0815
    April0815 Posts: 780 Member
    Options
    After I eat I don't go in the bed, but I do relax and watch t.v. or either read a lil bit.
  • ilmommkc
    ilmommkc Posts: 73
    Options
    Well, generally you should not eat anything after 7pm. And laying down or resting/sleeping right after a meal is a no-no as far as I know.
    I usually eat dinner between 4-5pm. I dont go lay down or go to sleep until after 11pm.
  • mcohan
    mcohan Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    i try to eat an early dinner (like 5 or 6) so that way i sleep better and do not feel nausious in the morning. usually got o a coffee shop at night and read for a bit...then i can get a short walk and some relaxation before bed.
  • BrenNew
    BrenNew Posts: 3,420 Member
    Options
    How long should i stay up after I eat dinner? I like to lay down after I eat, but i usually stay up reading or watching Tv for a good hour or two....should i try and stay out of the bed for those 2 hours before sleep or is it okay?

I'm not sure Neena, but I wouldn't think it would be TOO good to be laying down practically right after you eat. :noway:
    I usually have supper by 6:00, and go to bed anywhere from 3 to 4 hours later. Not sure what others will tell you, but, I'll be checking back to see if they were more helpful to you!
    I mainly responded because I read another of your responses where you were saying how much you loved MFP, and I thought that was really nice! I LOVED your enthusiasm! And you've got EVERY right to BE excited and loving MFP, because it REALLY, REALLY, DOES work! Keep at it, and you WILL lose the weight that you want to! :smile:
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,971 Member
    Options

Is there any way you can reschedule your meals so your last meal is earlier or very small? The way I understand it, food is fuel for your body to do things so it would be a good idea to be eating and then doing something?
    :bigsmile: :bigsmile: :bigsmile:
  • weasleman42
    Options
    I eat when I am hungry, including after 7pm, as late as 11pm. I don't think it makes a big difference, at least not that I have noticed in my sleep and weight loss. Good luck!
  • pettmybunny
    pettmybunny Posts: 1,986 Member
    Options
    A lot of times we don't eat until 8 or so at night (a few times this summer, it's been closer to 9). After loading the dishwasher, DH and I will enjoy some tv. Invariably, about a half hour later, I am asleep (I miss soooo many endings to good shows, thank God for Tivo). It's all about calories in vs calories out. As long as you're consuming less calories than you're using, you'll lose weight. One thing I find about eating later is that I'm less likely to snack. If I eat at 5 or 6 at night, I'm starving by 8.

Quoted from http://www.bodybugg.com/fitness_resources_qa.php?id=328
    "If my goal is to have a 500-calorie deficit per day and I eat 1650 calories and burn 2150 calories, does it matter when I eat the 1650 calories?

Sort off. Not really. Maybe. Does that help? Actually, when (time of day) you eat is not nearly as important as the pattern in which you consume your meals (meal spacing). Generally, the more frequently you eat, the better and more sated (feeling of fullness) you'll feel. Therefore, we typically recommend eating between three and five meals per day at times that work for you.

And don't fall for that myth about the perils of eating late at night! You may have your last meal in bed if you like. If your preference is to have a large dinner, go for it. In fact, it's not uncommon for people to eat half of their daily calories after 6:00 p.m. and still reach their goals. The sort-of/maybe part of our answer addresses how eating patterns may affect your overall daily energy levels. In other words, using an extreme example, if you consumed all your calories at one meal, you would most likely become lethargic or weak during much of the day. This means you would burn fewer calories during all activities and thus would likely no longer be burning the 2150 calories you referenced above. All said, strike a balance between having your favorite large meal the way you like it and spread the remaining calories throughout the day to fit your energy needs."

Basically, this means you need to find out what works for you. As long as you don't have any digestive issues, a meal late at night shouldn't be a problem. If you find you're not losing weight, then try switching it up, and see if eating earlier or doing something more active after eating helps.
  • neenaleigh
    neenaleigh Posts: 584 Member
    Options
    thanks everyone, i have a really hard time at night controlling myself, so i like to go to bed to stop myself from eating, I will however, take your advice and try not to lay down.....:sad:

thanks again!
  • XFitMojoMom
    XFitMojoMom Posts: 3,255 Member
    Options
    is that a weimaraner in your avatar?
  • July24Lioness
    July24Lioness Posts: 2,399 Member
    Options
    I eat when I am hungry, including after 7pm, as late as 11pm. I don't think it makes a big difference, at least not that I have noticed in my sleep and weight loss. Good luck!

This is what I do also...................

Most Dr's always advise of having at least a snack before bed to stabilize the blood sugar through the night.
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options
    is that a weimaraner in your avatar?

it looks like a baby pitty............awwwwww so cute........pats doggies head~~
  • ivykivy
    ivykivy Posts: 2,970 Member
    Options
    I eat then get in the bed. I don't like waking up in the middle of the night starving to death. If you have digestion problems or eat heavy foods you may have to wait before going to bed. Otherwise eat in the bed if you like:laugh:
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options
    I eat then get in the bed. I don't like waking up in the middle of the night starving to death. If you have digestion problems or eat heavy foods you may have to wait before going to bed. Otherwise eat in the bed if you like:laugh:

:laugh: :laugh:
  • onerepublic1412
    Options
    You should generally sleep after 2-3 hours because eating food and then immediately sleeping will cause your body to store your dinner as fat.
  • megsmom2
    megsmom2 Posts: 2,362 Member
    Options
    Well, generally you should not eat anything after 7pm. And laying down or resting/sleeping right after a meal is a no-no as far as I know.
    I usually eat dinner between 4-5pm. I dont go lay down or go to sleep until after 11pm.

This is silly. Eat at anytime you want, including IN bed if you want to. Doesn't make any difference. Unless you're prone to heartburn ...then sleep sitting up.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options

This is silly. Eat at anytime you want, including IN bed if you want to. Doesn't make any difference. Unless you're prone to heartburn ...then sleep sitting up.

This. Unless you are a gremlin what time you eat makes no difference. And your body position doesn't make food automatically store as fat.
  • SugaryLynx
    SugaryLynx Posts: 2,640 Member
    Options
    I just make sure I swallow before I go to sleep, so I don't choke
  • Tiernan1212
    Tiernan1212 Posts: 797 Member
    Options

This. Unless you are a gremlin what time you eat makes no difference. And your body position doesn't make food automatically store as fat.

Oh my goodness, thank you! Meal timing does not have anything to do with how your body handles food. Unless you have a medical condition where timing is important, or digestion issues that would make sleeping after eating uncomfortable, eat whenever you want!

I purposely save calories for late in the day as I like to snack in the evening. I can't tell you how many times I've eaten ice cream 15 mins before crashing into bed! :laugh:
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    You should generally sleep after 2-3 hours because eating food and then immediately sleeping will cause your body to store your dinner as fat.

this thread is 92,000 years old and you used it to post your very first bit of wrong information
  • Graelwyn75
    Graelwyn75 Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    Wow, necrothread. This topic was started in 2009 people.