Impulsive Eater vs. Emotional Eater

Options
I know emotions and eating are like peanut butter and jelly. It's also very similar with impulsive eating. But if you had to pick which one you tend to do more, which would it be? Myself, I think I'm more of an impulsive eater. If it's there, and it's tempting, it goes into my pie-whole. No thought needed.:smile:

Replies

• pamelad77
    pamelad77 Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    Don't know. Which does boredom eating fit into?
  • Willbenchforcupcakes
    Willbenchforcupcakes Posts: 4,955 Member
    Options
    I used to be a big emotional eater. It has taken years of asking myself "are you really hungry?" to stop it. I still ask myself if I'm hungry before I eat, and I do my best to not eat if I'm not hungry. The only exception right now is that I'll make myself get to at least 2100 calories, but that is only because I know my milk supply and quality suffer the next day if I'm below that.
  • leaso75581
    leaso75581 Posts: 103
    Options
    boredom....hmmm....kinda both. more emotional i think, but can def lead to impulsive.
  • HannahMarieMcDougald
    Options
    I am both! Sucks let me tell ya! :sad:
  • kayl3igh88
    kayl3igh88 Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    impulsive, impulsive, impulsive... lol
  • Robyn120
    Robyn120 Posts: 249
    Options
    Definitely more impulsive!
  • mslack01
    mslack01 Posts: 823 Member
    Options
    I would say I am equal parts impulsive/emotional, but getting somewhat of a better grasp on the impulsive part.
  • Kell_Smurthwaite
    Kell_Smurthwaite Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    I'm moe of an impulsive/compulsive eater than an emotional one, as when i'm seriously unhappy, I prety much lose my appetite and can't eat much of anything at all. Whereas the rest of the time, I have pretty mch been on a see-food diet - I see food and I eat it!

I'm trying ot re-educate myself and my body so that I don't just demolish everything in sight and feel that compulsion to finish every scrap onmy plate (a hang-up left over from my childhood when I was told I should eat everything I was given because "There are children starving in Africa!" I always wanted to say, "Well send it them to eat then!" but I didn't - I sat and ate up like a "good girl"). There have been several meals in the past week where I've been unable to finish what's on my plate and I've felt less guilty about it because I know I cannot make myself choke it down any more like I used to - it's unhealthy to do so. It's taking time, but I'm going to get there!

18176012.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • JustWantToBeBetter
    Options
    definately impulsive ! :ohwell:
  • ourmamros
    ourmamros Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I am def both. i am learning to ask am i really hungry or is something eating me? I also try and focus and enjoy what i do eat more. I sit up at the table and try and take longer to eat. Then the tricky one for me - stop eating when i have had sufficient - not a clean plate, not when I am stuffed, just had suffiecient. That all helps with the emotional stuff, but when that yummy cake is in front of me it is still hard to resist that impulse!
  • Partyofpugs
    Partyofpugs Posts: 105
    Options
    Boredom, impulsive, emotional.....it's basically the same thing. Hard, hard habits to break. The trick is to figure out how to break the cycle. I'm better, but I'm still a work in progress. I keep pep-talks in my head...example: nothing tastes as good as skinny looks! I sound like an idiot in my own mind repeating this over and over! But part of permanent weight loss will be learning to turn my OFF switch on and to walk away from temptation. Good luck everyone!
  • leaso75581
    leaso75581 Posts: 103
    Options
    pep talks, don't work for me...i literally refuse to think. looking for something quick and snappy to get out of my eating trance, when i have one...any suggestions?
  • AnnaPixie
    AnnaPixie Posts: 7,439 Member
    Options
    Emotional.

I can only suggest that an impulsive eater needs to have very little in the house to eat!! ??
  • mkmacf
    mkmacf Posts: 101
    Options
    I am an emotional eater. Stress and a bad day can make me want to eat everything in sight. In the last few months though I feel like I've kicked it a bit. I no longer see that as more important than eating healthily.
  • British_Flava
    Options
    I am definately an emotional eater as I eat no matter what emotion I am feeling.

I moved here from England 7 years ago, and have gained so much weight. I found myself eating out of loneliness and I found a deep love of Buffets early on as there was alot of food I didn't like, and this gave me the chance to try everything.
    I am loving this sight though as it makes me see everything that I am putting inside of my body, and be accountable for it.
    I am hoping to lose 50 Lbs this year and then give myself a new goal.
  • LovesAdventure
    LovesAdventure Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Impulsive! That's why I don't keep my favorite things (that are calorie heavy) in the house.
    I've had a craving for chocolate cheesecake for months now. Good thing I never buy it.
  • InnerFatGirl
    InnerFatGirl Posts: 2,687 Member
    Options
    I think both, for me.

But I think more so impulsive. I'd previously be out shopping, and see a trifle. I want it, so I'd buy it, and scoff the whole damn thing.

I just had no damn self control.