Protien smoothie help!!!

Options
rainbowbow
rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
Hello,

I've recently acquired a blender and I'm trying to make some smoothies that I can hide some protien and my Creatine in. However, every time I attempt it comes out too watery, too crunchy from ice, or pretty terrible tasting.

If anyone has any suggestions on ratios and which ingredients I should use for a kick *kitten* smoothie it would be awesome!

I have-
Apple juice
Grape juice
Frozen strawberries
Frozen bananas
Chocolate whey protien powder
Strawberry whey protien powder
Peanut butter
Sugar free vanilla ice cream

Any suggestions?? I prefer it to be UNDER 400 calories if possible and atleast 30 grams of protein. (the protien powder I have is 120 cals for 22grams)

Replies

• rainbowbow
    Options
    BUMP
  • yearofme
    yearofme Posts: 9
    Options
    try this link:
    http://www.dashingdish.com/2010/03/i-cant-believe-its-not-a-milkshake/

I have really loved:wink: them. Also make sure you have a good blender.
  • mdof
    mdof Posts: 6
    Options
    scoop protein, 1/2 cup to 1 cup frozen berries, 1/2 cup milk or almond milk and 1/2 cup plain yogurt and optional handfull spinach (won't be able to taste it in smoothie)
  • RoboLikes
    RoboLikes Posts: 519 Member
    Options
    Out of everything you listed as having - try a banana, TBSP of peanut butter, chocolate protein powder, 1/2 cup of water, ice and blend. Try it and adjust to taste!
  • imthelobster
    imthelobster Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    I had a protein smoothie this morning with .5 cup blueberries, .5 cup strawberries, 1 banana, 1 scoop of Chocolate whey protein, 4 oz. orange juice, and 4 oz. light soy milk. Was 365 cal and 30g protein.

With the ingredients that you have, I'd suggest .5 cup strawberries, 1 banana, 1 scoop protein, 1 tbls pb, and... possibly 4oz apple juice? I dunno, I like using soy milk as a base to make the smoothies creamier, so maybe use some of the ice cream for that instead?
  • tracferg
    tracferg Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I don't add my protein powder in untill everything else is well blended cos the protein seems to be gritty if it is blended too much. Not sure if it's just me or the brand I have but whatever works!
  • rainbowbow
    Options
    Thanks everyone! :)
  • SarahSway
    SarahSway Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    My favorite:

Frozen Banana
    Scoop of Chocolate Whey protein
    Almond Milk - unsweetened (maybe a cup, I don't measure, just pour until it can all blend smoothly)
    Peanut Butter

If I don't have enough calories I will get rid of either the whey protein or the PB. I've never tried it with regular milk, because regular milk makes me feel sick. But I'm sure it'd taste the same. This is by far the best smoothie I've ever made!
  • 600racer
    600racer Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    I haven't tried using juices but bananas help make it thick and sweet. I love strawberries. Vanilla soy and almond milk are good and I'm going to try the plain soy or almond tonight. What is awesome is PB2 peanut butter powder. You'll probably have to buy it off the internet but check thier website for stores that carry it. Use you chocolate whey, a banana, and PB2 along with ice and it tastes just like butterfinger milkshake. A pinch of xanthan gum will make watery smoothies thick.
  • debubbie
    debubbie Posts: 767 Member
    Options
    My favorite smoothie is made with a shaker cup instead of in the blender and is a cherry chocolate smoothie. A cup of cherry flavored yogurt, a scoop of chocolate flavored protein powder and a cup of 2% milk. Shake it until it is well mixed and enjoy. Tastes like a cherry chocolate candy!!!
  • honestlysweet
    honestlysweet Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    Bumping this for ideas.
  • deblc6836
    deblc6836 Posts: 59
    Options
    Try unsweetened almond milk as a base -- only 35 calories in a cup, great nutrition, and really delicious! I use a cup of almond milk, a scoop of chocolate or vanilla whey protein, 2 TBSP of PB2, and about half a cup of ice. LOVE it.
  • heathersmilez
    heathersmilez Posts: 2,579 Member
    Options
    Banana is what makes it milk-shake consistency if that’s what you are looking for. Chocolate, banana, peanut butter with milk is my favourite. I find fruit juices only go well with vanilla protein powder and I hate anything non-chocolate ;)

1 scoop whey protein powder
    ½ cup milk (to minimize cals/carbs use more water than milk but you still need some to l get a creamy & yummy flavour/texture)
    2/3 cup water
    ¾ cup ice
    1 tbsp peanut butter
    1/4 cup to 1/2 cup strawberries (to keep sugars and carbs down keep this to 1/2 cup max)
    & blend.
  • DBBA21
    DBBA21 Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Woooolywool
    Woooolywool Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    bump
  • 2hobbit1
    2hobbit1 Posts: 820 Member
    Options
    If you use frozen fruit instead of the ice you smoothies will be thicker. I keep no sugar added frozen berries, peaches, mango etc on hand and slice overripe bananas, place on parchment paper on a cookie sheet and freeze. Once they are frozen I move them to a ziplock so I can pull out what I want.
    You can use dairy milk, soy, almond, rice milk as your liquid. I tend to blend my protein powder with soy milk - match the flavor with the fruit you will be using. then add the frozen fruit and buzz till thick and creamy.

Vanilla soy milk, vanilla protein powder, frozen peaches or mango add a sprinkle of cinnamon or nutmeg
    Almond milk, chocolate protein power, frozen black cherries, peanut butter
    Vanilla soy milk, vanilla protein powder, canned pumpkin, frozen banana, pumpkin pie spice
    Chocolate milk, chocolate protein powder, peanut butter frozen banana

The variations are only limited by your imagination and taste preferences. I also always toss in a handful of spinach or kale. the color may be strange but you can not taste it and it sneaks in a veggie serving. Cooked carrots or sweet potatoes can be added as well.
  • sgoldman328
    sgoldman328 Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    Ahhh! I have the same problem. My protein powder tastes disgusting and I can't figure out how to mask the flavor.

http://collegecookingandironchefamerica.blogspot.com/
  • origwvgirl
    origwvgirl Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    bump
  • scohen226
    Options
    Ok, I would definitely suggest getting rid of the ice...the frozen fruit should take care of what you're using the ice for...

I put soy milk in my smoothies for a protein boost in the morning...my favorite is lowfat chocolate from Silk. I recently started adding a handful of raw spinach. With all the other ingredients, you can't taste it at all and it's a great way to sneak in veggies!
  • ChelleDJM
    ChelleDJM Posts: 161
    Options
    I like my smoothies to be thick and use about a half try of ice (at least) in each one. I use an immersion blender to find all of the ice and "GET IT!" lol I never add fruit juice, because I feel it just adds carbs and calories. With vanilla powder, I like frozen fruit (about a cup or less) and then I usually add a little plain nonfat greek yogurt and some milk. Blend, then add ice a few cubes at a time to get it nice and thick. I also do the spinach with fruit. It adds vitamins and it doesn't taste like spinach, but adds a fresh taste. Pumpkin is also good with vanilla powder and a little cinnamon.