Venison Burgers...... how healthy are they?

Options
So I'm finding that beef burgers are slightly too high in cals and fat for me, so I found some "Finne Brogue Venison Burgers 284G" in Tesco - I think ya get 2 in a pack.

Nutritional Values on pack say:
Typical Values_____Typical values per 100g
Energy __________407Kj/96Kcal
Protein __________20.2g
Carbohydrate______1.6g
of which sugars____0.1g
Fat______________7.0g
of which saturates__3.3g
Fibre____________0.7g
Sodium__________0.54g
Equivalent as salt__1.35g
Iron_____________2.7mg

Ingredients as listed on pack says:
Venison (92%),Red Onion (4%) ,Water ,Sea Salt ,Cracked Black Pepper ,Cayenne Pepper ,Preservative (E223) ,Antioxidant (Vitamin C)

*** Is Sea Salt 'better' than normal salt?

So if 2 burgers per pack, I make them approx 140cals each

Now I was at a local market couple of times over weekend, and there was a butchers selling wild Venison burgers

***Would there be much difference in the nutritional values of the packet vs fresh?

Replies

• MissCheese
    MissCheese Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    I love Venison!

It's hard to say whether there would be much of a difference between the Tesco one and the Butcher's one.

A butcher worth his salt will tell you what has gone into his burger. You could always ask and see if he is willing to tell, especially if you explain why you want to know, if he thinks you will buy his burger over Tescos he will probably tell you. If not I think you would be pretty safe to say they were the same.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,708 Member
    Options
    Depends on point of view. If someone is a vegan they'll condemn you on your choice for eating an animal.

IMO, I think it's da bom!!!!

A.C.E. Certified Personal Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • muddyventures
    muddyventures Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    We have a freezer full of Venison, I can't really tell you anything about its nutritional value, but I can tell you that we didn't have it processed with any additions. Ours is very, very lean and best of all it was from my husband's hunting trip and a family friend butchered it. We use it for all sorts of meals...tacos, roast, sloppy joes broiled, bbq'd
  • rextcat
    rextcat Posts: 1,408 Member
    Options
    :happy: Venison=yummie
  • kellyhumphrey
    kellyhumphrey Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Venison is very much like EXTREMELY EXTREMELY lean beef. Have you ever made hamburger helper, and had to drain the buger off before adding the other ingredients? With venison (straight venison, no additions to it) there is nothing to drain off. I cook 1lb and throw the rest of the mix right in with it with no draining.

We have a freezer full from my husband's yearly hunting and we use it for everything that uses beef, including roast. It's packed with protein and vitamins and is free of antibiotics and hormones. It's also very low in cholesterol... so overall it's a great substitute for beef.

Be careful when you buy it though. Lots of places add pork or beef fat into the venison which kind of misses the point, although it would still technically be healthier all around. Also, depending on how well the deer was dressed and cared for it can affect the taste of the meat BIG TIME... poorly handled meat gives a gamey flavor.
  • Purple_Orchid_87
    Purple_Orchid_87 Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much everyone
    the butcher is one of only 5 people to have a permit to 'collect' venison from the wild local estate, and even at that, the estate have confirmed that each person is limited in weight to how much they can take - no farming or human feeding, just wild breeding and rearing - suppose that's why they restrict the number of people who can 'collect' from the estate