Heavy bag for 2 months...kinda bored....any good routines?

Options
So I have had a Heavy bag in my basement for about 2 months now, and while I used it alot, I am becoming bored with my "freestyle" type boxing with it. I am not sure what I am supposed to be doing really, as I have not had any type of training on a heavy bag every in my life lol I enjoy the work out. It helps with stress. I have read up alot about keeping my wrists and hands safe while punching and my ankles safe while kicking, but I would love to find a good few routines that work for people. I work it about 15 minutes a day and would like to up that to twice daily so that I can get 30 good minutes of cardio in.....I am assuming it would be cardio....any ideas on the subject or any success for anyone Thanks for the input!

Replies

• misty2ann
    misty2ann Posts: 127
    Options
    anyone?:happy:
  • stefclaire
    Options
    Maybe if you go to a Boxing Class or a Box Fit class once and get some ideas??
    Just an idea!!:smile:
  • CinJay
    CinJay Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    search youtube for some workouts and proper form/moves...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hwCfPzdjmEw
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9LrIcXa_iKM

possibilities are endless... good luck!
  • zombiesama
    zombiesama Posts: 755 Member
    Options
    Are you being active with it? As in circling it and punching or moving farther and closer when punching it. Just standing would get boring.
  • mdof
    mdof Posts: 6
    Options
    I use to box, burns a lot of calories :)
    try skipping three minutes, 1 minute of push ups, skip another 3 mins, 1 min abs, skip another 3 mins followed by minute of squats, this takes about 15 mins, then do some bag work, if your right handed you to keep your right leg in in front this would be your fighting stance, vice versa if your left handed, msg me if want to know more,
  • new2locs
    new2locs Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    Have you tried YouTube?
  • misty2ann
    misty2ann Posts: 127
    Options
    Those are some good ideas.....youtube will be helpful I am sure and doing squats and such inbetween will also give me a bit more to work with....Thank you!!
  • Zan67
    Zan67 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=-YuOvQ6DzGs.
    This is a 20 min routine incorporating punches and kicks. Quite intense on your core as well. I'm usually knackered and sweating buckets after this routine!
  • kikicooks
    kikicooks Posts: 1,079 Member
    Options
    I have found some routines on Pinterest, just do a search. Also it might be helpful to go to a couple classes and get some ideas. I got a dry erase board and list some moves and set a timer for a minute to switch because if I'm just randomly punching and kicking I get kinda bored, need some sort of routine to follow.
  • Michael190lbs
    Michael190lbs Posts: 1,510 Member
    Options
    I do five three minute rounds twice a week throw in some kicks its one of the best Cardio exercises I do and really gets my heart racing.. Good Choice
  • Sandysphat
    Sandysphat Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    Try T25, everyday is a new disc , today is total body .
  • MyFreakingNameIsScott
    MyFreakingNameIsScott Posts: 199 Member
    edited August 2016
    Options
    I love heavy bag work. It's the foundation of my routine right now. FWIW, here is what I do 4-5 times/week:
    - iPad setup with Spotify and then Timer.
    - After each song, I do 10 push ups.
    - The first two songs are light work. I'm not hitting the bag much and when I do it's light. More shadow boxing than heavy bag.
    - I begin Tabata for every song after that with push ups still going between songs. 20 seconds on, 10 off for entirety of song.
    - I do this until I hit 100 push ups.
    - Currently that routine goes about 40 minutes.
    - Finish the rest of my hour with body weight work (bar dips, Burpees, planks, bear crawls and ab work).

As for the way I box, it's mostly combos, switching feet. If I feel like my technique is getting sloppy, I slow it down a little and get back on track. Also throwing in some "ducking" in the way of squats to work the legs a bit more would change things up. Work on keeping hands up can also make a world of difference. There is an app called My Boxing Coach (Pro) which may interest you. It's cheap and also cheaply done but I think it does the trick. The coach will tell you which punch to throw and there are a few different types of routines one can choose from. I have it but don't use it because it's either the coaches voice or my music. I prefer my music.

Edit: I'm looking to add a double end bag into this routine. I love boxing as a workout!
  • jhnbwh
    jhnbwh Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I LOVE ALOT IF THE BEACHBODY WORKOUTS......SOME DO SOME DON'T......BUT YOU WILL SEE RESULTS
  • gc384
    gc384 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I change my routines every week or so. this is what im doing at the moment. After x10 rounds on bags i do pushups to failure and squats. I lift different days so don't do anything else at the moment.

Rnd 1- Light jabs/crosses, combos <4 punches
    Rnd 2- jab only, work on perfect technique
    Rnd 3,4,5- work the bag random combos
    Rnd 7- throw only HARD combos of 3 (no less) eg jab cross left hook, jab cross jab, jab body hook left hook head.
    Rnd 8- throw only HARD combos of 4,5,6 punches (no less)
    Rnd 9, 10- full power rounds, concentrate pure technique and full power each punch
  • dandur
    dandur Posts: 267 Member
    Options
    1 minute bag work
    20 burpees
    1 min bag work
    20 air squats
    1 min bag work
    20 jumping jacks
    1 min bag work
    20 lunges
    1 min bag