Looking for a good beginner's DVD video

Options
that I can do in my living room, and doesn't cost a ton. I was on amazon, and I see all thses programs... $89, $129, even $217! ( seems like most of them are put out by some company called BeachBody..... anyway, looking for something not too girly, and ore focused on cardio than strentgth.

Thanks.

Oh, and NOTHING with Jillian Michael's in it.

Replies

• douglasmobbs
    douglasmobbs Posts: 563 Member
    Options
    What I have found useful is recording some of the workouts from the fitness channels, deleting most of them straight away, but there have been a few that I found put things at a good pace without doing silly dance moves that should never be attempted by any dads.
  • katiew00t
    katiew00t Posts: 164
    Options

Oh, and NOTHING with Jillian Michael's in it.

haha, I was going to suggest the biggest loser dvd, "The Workout." Jillian actually isn't in it, Bob Harper is. It is a great workout DVD for beginners, and not expensive at all.
  • papa3x
    papa3x Posts: 286
    Options
    anybody else?
  • krklstephi
    krklstephi Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    I really enjoy the Biggest Loser DVDs. I love the Power Walk (less than $10 on Amazon), Cardio Max, and Cardio Max Weight Loss Edition. You can choos not to do the workouts with Jillian and I think the only one that has a Jillian Workout (that I listed) is the Cardio Max. I hope this helps!
  • papa3x
    Options
    See, I don't want her getting even 1 penny of my money.
  • RachelsReboot
    RachelsReboot Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    I like the Extreme Makeover DVD at walmart with Chris Powell, it's what I started with at 285, there are REAL people with REAL weight on them. They had good modifications too if you have stress on your knees or ankles.
  • anglyn97
    anglyn97 Posts: 13
    Options
    Richard Simmon's Sweating to the oldies is good for beginners. Also I like Jackie Warner's workouts too.
  • katadams618
    Options
    I could use some suggestions for resistance training DVDs that I can follow at home in my living room-thanks for the above suggestions btw...
  • papa3x
    Options
    I like the Extreme Makeover DVD at walmart with Chris Powell, it's what I started with at 285, there are REAL people with REAL weight on them. They had good modifications too if you have stress on your knees or ankles.

Ohh.... I have one bad knee.
  • RachelsReboot
    RachelsReboot Posts: 569 Member
    Options

Ohh.... I have one bad knee.

I do too and when I started I was really having trouble but I was able to do the modified versions
    here are some clips I found
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kSMBRnkImuc
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DrmC-C-amHo

I do this workout stil at level 3 with my 16 year old son 3 times a week and I can't say enough good things about it.
  • katiew00t
    katiew00t Posts: 164
    Options

Why?
  • yesthistime
    yesthistime Posts: 2,051 Member
    Options
    Leslie Sansone's Walk Away the Pounds. It's low impact and very effective for beginners.

http://www.lesliesansonevideos.com/

I get them from Wal-mart or target for under $10 and they are worth every penny. Best wishes :flowerforyou:
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    I won't mention Jillian DVDs(blech!)

Free/inexpensive starters:

Local library rents DVDs / Netflix streams a few DVD / Netflix rental - tons of videos. Hulu.com has an exercise & fitness channel - streams videos

Walk at Home (Leslie Sansone) are really good cardio starters AND bump up the intensity later on for an intermediate workout .... here's a clip to see what these are:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PnsfbneFQ_8&feature=related

Target, KMart, Walmart sell these $10. Biggest Loser Power Walk is not Jillian ... however the music is horrible.

Tae Bo videos are fun. This is Billy Blanks. "This is Tae Bo" is a new one, just the right speed (some are really too fast for me). Again not very expensive.

Not terribly cheap ..... Kelly Coffey Meyers is excelent. She has a series called 30 Minutes to Fitness. Motivating without being obnoxious. Collagevideo.com will have reviews & videos clips so you can find the fitness level, and equipment needed. Kelly offers low impact variations throughout.
  • almc170
    almc170 Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    Scott Cole's Discover Tai Chi for Weight Loss. It's extremely low impact and has a slightly faster tempo than traditional tai chi. And it's a martial art, so less of a girly factor :smile:
  • FITnFIRM4LIFE
    FITnFIRM4LIFE Posts: 818 Member
    Options
    Leslie Sansone's Walk Away the Pounds. It's low impact and very effective for beginners.

I get them from Wal-mart or target for under $10 and they are worth every penny. Best wishes :flowerforyou:

This and if you have netflix or cable there are a few good beginner selections.
    Also outdoor walking, bike riding..Start slow and do more as your comfortable.
    Good job on starting:-)
  • BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Options

Yes, these are absolutely perfect for beginners. Even as an experienced exerciser, I often turn to these to get a sweat up without risk of injury. Mine came with resistance bands to add a little resistance to the cardio.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    If you like the idea of a walking workout ... walk in place, side step in place, knee lifts in place ... very simple, non-dancey aerobics.

Walk it Off with George is another idea. These are a whole series of walking videos with George Foreman (Petra Kolber leads). I don't think Leslie Sansone is "girlie" ..... but if you think her voice will irritate .... look for a music only option fir Leslie on collagevideo.com

The George Foreman series is excellent for men (and women) .... Circiut Walk is a good beginner DVD & CHEAP on Amazon
  • papa3x
    Options

Why?

because I can't stand her.
  • papa3x
    Options
    OH, I wouldn't call myself a beginner.... I can hang with 75 minutes of cardio.
  • aiyana1228
    aiyana1228 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    Go to your library and borrow a few and check them out for free before you invest in any.